Hop To
#1037203 10/11/06
L
liam Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Well, just got back home after a 4 day elk hunt around Forks, WA. I got skunked, and actually only saw 5 elk, 4 of them cows and one spike bull.

The weather was a big obstacle. Dry, sunny and warm, with clear nights under a nearly full moon. The woods were dry and very noisy, and the general consensus among all the hunters we met was that the elk were mostly feeding at night, then moving into thick brush for the day. There were definitely other hunters who were getting elk, but the herds that we were hunting, that my guide knew best, were the ones that were not following their normal habits.

Day one: Hiked a total of about 15 miles through a mix of terrain, from low swampy river bottoms to high timber.
We did find a small herd with 20 minutes of daylight left on opening day, but the only bull was a spike ... which I would have gladly shot, but there's a 3 point min here.

Second day: didn't see a single elk, nor a fresh track, all day long. Talked to lots of other hunters having the same experience.

Third day: hiked 5 hours through some tough timber, up and down draws, and through some really thick brush. Lots of deadfalls and brush piles, a few of which I fell on. The woods were beautiful. It hadn't been logged, and the timber was about 85 years old (most of it blew down in a huge storm in 1921). All the elk sign was weeks old, though ... didn't see a fresh track in that whole 5 hours. Again, right at the end of the day, we saw that small herd from the first day. There seemed to maybe be another elk with them, so we snuck up on them again ... but the other elk was another cow. Still just that one spike bull.

Day four: Other than that spike, we haven't seen anything ... not even fresh sign anywhere, and we haven't found anything by glassing several times a day from high lookouts. We spent some more time in the low river bottom area where the guide had seen several bulls during bow season, but still were unable to find any fresh sign, either along the roads or in the woods. As the sun went down, we still hadn't seen anything.

Day five: I just had some time in the morning to check a few spots before leaving for home. We did a 5 mile hike back into some clearcuts near a park boundary .. the elk often retreat back into the park when pressured, and we hoped we might catch them coming back out at daybreak. Still nothing, and no fresh sign either.

So, no elk for me on my first year. But I learned a lot, and saw some beautiful country. I also discovered that even though I was a bit worried about conditioning, that I didn't have a problem with endurance. What I did have a problem with was footing and balance in the rough stuff, over slippery logs (I fell for the first time 30 seconds into the woods on the first day).

All in all, that first stalk on the spike was the most exciting part of the hunt. That was the first live elk I've seen. We did a super-quick stalk across about 300 yards of clearcut. Let me just say, if you haven't been in it, that there's nothing 'clear' about a clearcut. More sticks to step on than you can imagine, dips and swells, and brush sometimes 6 feet tall. There was a road back there that we couldn't even see from the main logging road, even though that main road was elevated. We managed to get to within 80 yards or so of those elk. That spike bull knew we were there, but wasn't sure what we were. He stood there and tried to scent us, and he curled his lip at us! Man he was big, and had curved spikes with polished tips. I was wishing he was legal to shoot, as I had a good broadside shot for several minutes before they turned and went down the river bank and across the river. I received a great compliment after we were heading in for that first night. We had covered 300 yards of stick-filled clearcut with treacherous footing, with me ten feet behind the guide. He turned to me and clapped me on the back and said "You did good! I only heard you twice, through all that mess!"

It's a good memory, and I'll probably remember that the most from my first elk hunt. I'll hope to add more good elk hunt memories in future years ... including my first kill, which I hope will happen next year!

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, everyone!!!

Liam

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Welcome to the world of hunting. That's why they call it hunting and not getting.

You seem to have the right attitude and are willing to work at it, so it's only a matter of time.

Good hunting.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to hunt over there as did my father. It's some tough and brushy country for sure.

I got skunked this year too. I hunted almost every day for two weeks in NE Oregon during the archery season and couldn't connect. I was into 'em a few times but nothing like I usually am. It was a weird weather year there. Dry and and hot turned into a foot of snow, which almost melted before it snowed a couple more times.

Most places I've hunted the snow makes hunt better but not there, and I've been hunting there for 7 years and hunting elk for 33 years.

It's hard not to be disappointed when you come home with an unnotched tag but it serves to add perspective as to the difficulty of hunting.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
That sounds like the hunting season around Helena, it's been tough hunting for sure, with same weather pattern too dry & hot to wet with snow and no elk. The other day I finally arrowed a buck just to feel better about all the time I was spending chasing ghost elk.

I used to hunt over there as did my father. It's some tough and brushy country for sure.

I got skunked this year too. I hunted almost every day for two weeks in NE Oregon during the archery season and couldn't connect. I was into 'em a few times but nothing like I usually am. It was a weird weather year there. Dry and and hot turned into a foot of snow, which almost melted before it snowed a couple more times.

Most places I've hunted the snow makes hunt better but not there, and I've been hunting there for 7 years and hunting elk for 33 years.

It's hard not to be disappointed when you come home with an unnotched tag but it serves to add perspective as to the difficulty of hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well don't feel to bad about it, I remember spending the whole ID season back in 1986 and saw just one cow. Thats hunting. Now I am luckly if I get a week. It takes time and knowing the lay of the land and hard work to get a shot. There is no short cuts. The other day I saw a tom turkey with as long a beard as I have ever seen in CT. Standing on a stone wall. Its a few weeks till fall turkey season. I can tell you right now I will hunt the whole season, and I will be luckly if I see a Bird on my land.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just got back last night from Gardiner, MT and our group of 4 got skunked as well. Snow up high about 10 days ago and then just as they were moving back to the high country, more snow on Sunday night and Monday moved them back down. We were hunting high, from 8000 to 9500 feet and the only elk we saw were down lower. Darn, the one time you would not want snow for a elk hunt, and we got snow. Had a good time however and saw some pretty country.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three of us just got back from Colo. We were camped at 11000 ft. and the Forest Service people said the elk were back further in the wilderness area. We were riding several miles back but never caught up with them. Had snow a couple of nights, but bright sunshine during the day so much of it melted. On Monday we caught a forecast of the big storm aproaching, so we cut and ran. Didn't much like the idea of being caught up there 13 miles from a good road with 12-15" of snow forcast. Seemed most of the locals had pulled out Sun. after not finding any elk either.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I Got skunked last year hopefully will be singing a different tune this year. But probably not as am guiding some guys who have never got to hunt elk. So they get the first picks from my lucky spot, unless I see some monster then first shot is mine. more than likely we will se 4x or 5x maybee a small 6. Better luck next year Guys.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
having hunted ELK as almost as an obsession for 35 plus years ID point out a few things for next time

hunting ELK where theres few elk LOWERS the odds
if an area resembles a pumkin patch of orange vests thru the scope the chances of seeing ELK goes WAY DOWN
RESEARCH BEFORE THE HUNT BY TALKING WITH THE AREA BIOLOGIST AND RANGERS,WARDENS,RANCHERS,LOGGERS,HELPS
having extensive topo maps and understanding them helps a GREAT DEAL
ELK have got to be someware
ELK are NOT invisable
ELK will tend to move if disturbed
ELK tend to favor areas that are difficult to access easily from roads
covering several vast areas quickly but carefully with a spotting scope and moving constantly UNTILL the herds located vs sneaking thru a very limited area,increases you odds of finding the herd,scopeing from stratigic high ground,durring first and last light, increases your odds on finding the herd
having two or more widely seperated hunters scouting thru areas increases the odds of moving and locating the herd.
knowing how to control scent, use camo and stay out of dirrect sunlight increases the odds
hunting/scopeing from before dawn to after dark rather than spending time in camp helps the odds
a few guides are near worthless or clueless, its up to you to research and know the differance
being out of shape is a sure way to screw up a hunt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just to clarify a bit, we had done our homework, talked to the local biologist several times, had the maps and some local input. Problem was, the weather didn't cooperate to push them into their normal areas for that time of year. We didn't prpare for the option of camping far back in the wilderness area and were tied to the camper at the edge. Still we were 13 miles back in and were in an area that we were told by the biologist probably would produce.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Still did better than me. Had a lot of snow, elk were lower than 10,000 feet we were at. Saw 20-30 head before opening day, a few bulls during the season, no cows , which we were hunting.Spent more time in the tent drying out than hunting. Had to pack one of the guys out earlier due to family emergency.
Got home and was putting everything up to dry, stepped up on a milk crate, it slid out, I cracked 2-3 ribs, buggered up my ankle, leg and elbow. Sucking pain pills now. I had the cancel the 3rd season hunt I was going on

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As was the case this year for me, hunting elk is often a process of first finding out where they are NOT!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jeeeez Saddlesore!

Hope you're healed up soon. Sucks that you had to cancel the next hunt. I have a 3rd season cow tag that I might pass on as I have 1/2 an elk in the freezer from last week and "the" buck hunt coming up for 4th season.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,616
Posts18,511,798
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.