Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shodd
I guess I don't comprehend the rifle weight thing being a timber faller. My saw is in the neighborhood of 25 lbs and it gets packed 6 hours a day on steep ground all week in my hands and it doesn't have a sling. Packing a 7 1/2 lb rifle ready to hunt is almost not noticeable. I know a very large number of fellas well into there 50s that do the same thing.

Shod

Given the choice to carry a 25 pound saw and a 25% heavier 31 pound saw, which one would you choose if you had a choice?

Same thing with a rifle for me, if given the CHOICE between a 6 pound rifle and a 25% heavier 7.5 pound rifle I will pick the lighter one everytime. Sure you can carry the heavier choices no doubt, but why if you can choose?

HR IC

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Inevitably, the conversation goes like this:

"My gun cost less and shoots really well."

"It's almost as light."

"I work out."

"The Kimber Montana should not exist."

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Shodd
I guess I don't comprehend the rifle weight thing being a timber faller. My saw is in the neighborhood of 25 lbs and it gets packed 6 hours a day on steep ground all week in my hands and it doesn't have a sling. Packing a 7 1/2 lb rifle ready to hunt is almost not noticeable. I know a very large number of fellas well into there 50s that do the same thing.

Shod

Shod;
Good morning to you sir, hopefully this finds you well and keeping dry enough on this foggy, soggy morning.

One of the things I've learned over the years - albeit slowly I'll admit, but I'm trying to do better - is that as humans we're far from being created equally. This includes our physical capabilities along with mental and spiritual components too of course, but we'll deal with the first two and leave the third one for the main forum. wink

Anyway in my experience to remain in your line of work an individual will of necessity have physical conditioning and attributes that will exceed at least 95% of other people in your age group. I hasten to add there's no research numbers I can base that on - just living in BC for the last 31 years and personal observation.

As well, the aging process is a rather sneaky one for many of us that had "colorful youth" phases. What I mean by that is that some days the car, horse and motorcycle wrecks don't have an effect on what I can accomplish physically and nowadays sometimes they do.

When I was in my '30's I still had the ability to mentally push my body into places it didn't want to go and could make it do things that it just doesn't do any longer in my early '50's.

Some folks don't have this happen until their 60's and some have it happen in their 40's, but again based upon personal observation it happens to about 99% of us.

When I answer anything here at the 'Fire then, I'm going to try to temper my answer with the knowledge that we're not all created equally and neither have the sum of our life experiences been the same. Hopefully that makes sense?

Long, long ago I was wrestling with a heavy task repairing a piece of farm equipment and my brother who is larger and 9 years older commented, "God didn't make you very big Dwayne, lets hope He made you smart" and then he proceeded to show me how to use mechanical means to assist my task. grin

For me, speaking personally as a hunter who turns 53 this year and is 5'6" on a tall day - a 7½ lb rifle does feel better than a 9 lb one and especially so after 6 or 8 hours on the mountain.

Again hopefully that makes sense Shod and gives a better perspective on my answers, etc. All the best to you in the upcoming week and do stay safe up there.

Dwayne

Favorite place to chase mulies photo added just because. wink
[Linked Image]

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/09/15.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RDW
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by deflave
JFC.

It's the same comments every time a Kimber comes up. You can't compare a Tikka to a MT. They're not comparable.

Travis

Nope, not even close.

That's the truth, Tikka's are ass-ugly!

Very true. I even painted one of mine with rattle cans to try and improve on the ugly. Damn thing shoots, though. I carried it up and down sevral mountains this past Fall.

With that said, you azzholes about have me convinced to play the fuggin' Kimber lottery one more time. Maybe I will try a .308 this time since it seems tougher to fugg that chambering up.

About got me convinced to challenge Shodd to a fight, too. Right after he hikes the mountain faster, and shoots his Tikker straighter than anyone on the 'Fire with a Kimber...

This thread is an uber read.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deernut,
Personally I kind of like doing a little minor tweaking on a rifle so Kimbers or any other rifle don't put me off if a little massaging is in order. Same reason I don't shoot factory loads.
You might be pleasantly surprised with Kimber roulette.
Best of luck!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Agreed. I really like playing with rifles and developing loads.

BUT

I don't like spending 1K+ on a rifle, and then have to re-barrel the thing. Having to do so on a $5-600 new or even used rifle is not really an issue. I guess I expect a ~$1100 rifle to shoot out of the box better than a Remington, Winchester, or even a Tikker would. That was not my last experience with a Kimber. Probably should have kept the thing, but it pizzed me off.

I will say that there always seems to be somebody that will take a Kimber off your hands for close to what you paid for it new.

I spoke to Melvin Forbes over the weekend and have been considering an order. But, I've seen some nasty stuff on NULAs lately. Of course, Melvin does not compare the NULAs to his hand-made guns...

Anywho....'Flave and others are right; a Montana is a deal if it shoots with a little tinkering.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The NULA's are Melvin's handmade guns. The Forbes Rifles are the production guns that seem to be having growing pains.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'Nut,
The NULA is Melvin's hand made gun. The Forbes rifle is not.

I'd rather spend $1500 to buy and rebarrel a Kimber if that's what it took. Thats just my preference.

As Steelhead once said, you only have yourself to keep happy.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Brad, there's no doubt if Kimber had rolled out some lefties I'd have one or would have had one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
'Nut,
The NULA is Melvin's hand made gun. The Forbes rifle is not.

I'd rather spend $1500 to buy and rebarrel a Kimber if that's what it took. Thats just my preference.

As Steelhead once said, you only have yourself to keep happy.

Yea, I got 'em backwards. I fondled both. Trying to figure out if I should try a Forbes or give Kimber another shot.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Brad, there's no doubt if Kimber had rolled out some lefties I'd have one or would have had one.

It would have saved me plenty of scratch. I sure do like my NULA guns but probably would have been gunning Kimber's now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hoping some of you Kimber guys can help me out.

I just received my first Kimber Montana a 223 and it is my first CRF rifle.

When I close the bolt on an empty chamber the bolt gets fairly tight the farther I close it. Not effecting function but theres some noticeable resistance on the last 1/3 of closing the bolt.

Now what could be causing this? Is this just the CRF locking up tight or something with the bolt lugs and what can I do about it?

I appreciate it thanks

Last edited by BurninDupont; 02/09/15. Reason: spelling
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Might be a good idea to start a separate thread. Think you will get more info that way.

Pieter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

It would have saved me plenty of scratch. I sure do like my NULA guns but probably would have been gunning Kimber's now.

Yea, it's kind of aggravating to go to the bakery and they'll only sell you white Wonderbread while the other guys are buying donuts, sweet rolls, and multigrain bread. grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Hoping some of you Kimber guys can help me out.

I just received my first Kimber Montana a 223 and it is my first CRF rifle.

When I close the bolt on an empty chamber the bolt gets fairly tight the farther I close it. Not effecting function but theres some noticeable resistance on the last 1/3 of closing the bolt.

Now what could be causing this? Is this just the CRF locking up tight or something with the bolt lugs and what can I do about it?

I appreciate it thanks

Closing the bolt on a CRF shouldn't feel any different than closing the bolt on a PF.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
There is a set screw on the under side of the bolt that may have backed out. Pull the bolt and tighten screw with an allen wrench. This happened to my 708

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag for load info

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How I fixed my Kimber...which I now call "Kimnor" smirk

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by deflave
Inevitably, the conversation goes like this:

"My gun cost less and shoots really well."

"It's almost as light."

"I work out."

"The Kimber Montana should not exist."

Travis

Great post, very true.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
This thread is hilarious.

Kimbers are the chit

------------------------------

The APE

"But resist we much...we must...and we will much...about...that...be committed." - the "Reverend" Al Sharpton
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 260Remguy, 62 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.