Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's been some year since I've been to Springfield, Mo. to Bass Pro Shops. We've got Bass Pro around where I live, and they are big stores, but the original has grown to become an attraction as much as a store.

From the website:

Welcome to Springfield and the Grandaddy of all Outdoor Stores. We are the original Bass Pro Shops and are located in the heart of Springfield, Missouri at the intersection of Campbell and Sunshine Street. Our store is almost 500,000 square feet in size making us the largest Bass Pro Shops in existence! Our store is dedicated to the beauty of the outdoors with art from local artists and craftsmen prominently displayed on all the walls and ceilings making the store part shopping experience and part art museum visit.

Here's but one view inside:

[Linked Image]

The fishing wing is the best equiped fishing department I've seen. Clothes, guns, reloading, all there. Camping, boats, ATVs and a knife store all there.

Best of all is the restaraunt inside the store - Hemingway's Blue Water Cafe. I'm telling you, if this was local to me, I'd make this my watering hole. The decor is very well done, and the salt water aquarium behind the bar is spectacular.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Pictures don't do it justice. If you're ever near there, be it Spingfield or even Branson, it's worth the trip to see it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool, Jeff. We have nothing like this in Jacksonville although I am told BPS is going to build one here on the north side of town.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The last time I was there it was undergoing a extensive remodel. Did you hit the outlet across the street?

Also, Bass Pro bought the Pyramid in Memphis, TN and has turned it into a Bass Pro, complete with a hotel in it. Might be worth a trip to see. There are some youtube videos of it.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been there a few times when I had family living in the area. The last time was about 15 years ago and it was looking a bit run down. Looks as if they've spruced things up a bit since then.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The NRA has a museum within the stores that is killer. Has the 1,000,000 Savage 99, Charleton Heston's "from my cold, dead hands" rifle. Great selection of rifles from all periods. I could have spent an hour easy in there.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if it is profitable?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, its came a long ways since it started in the back of a Brown Derby liquor store when I was a kid. I've been in the Atlanta BPS and it is kinda poorly. There is a small BPS right in Branson on Lake Taneycome. I mean, right on the banks. If that isn't the best setting for one that I've been to, then it's Independence, Missouri which has a small lake right next to it and is very scenic, although it is building up around it and doesn't look as good as it once did.

IMO the original kinda went haywire when they decided to redo it all in deep south swamp decor. That's just not right for the Ozarks. Shreveport already has a BPS and I'm sure New Orleans does. Let them have the swamp stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Very cool, Jeff. We have nothing like this in Jacksonville although I am told BPS is going to build one here on the north side of town.
There are two in Kansas City alone. Another in Tulsa.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I've been there a few times when I had family living in the area. The last time was about 15 years ago and it was looking a bit run down. Looks as if they've spruced things up a bit since then.

It is in the midst of another expansion and it is looking good inside. I'm guessing a good part of the expansion is the wildlife museum.

I'm not so sure that the goal of that Springfield store is to make a profit, but to be a showcase. Owner Johnny Morris has this as his own personal indulgence. You can do those sorts of things when privately owned. Nice not to answer to 150,000 stockholders sometimes.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If we could get some PH's and 24 H safari regulars around that bar, it would beat the Long Bar at the New Stanley in the old days. Imagine that one!

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I made the trip from Indianapolis last November and spent a day there, most of the time in the firearms museum. We had supper in the restaurant which is to be highly recommended. This place needs to be on everyone's bucket list of places to visit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari

If we could get some PH's and 24 H safari regulars around that bar, it would beat the Long Bar at the New Stantley in the old days. Imagine that one!

Wouldn't that be something!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After going there once a month (or more like once a week) when I worked 30 miles from there and dated a girl who lived a block to the west, I kind of ran out of things to see and buy there.

Only go about every other month now.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BarryC
I wonder if it is profitable?

They should be with the prices they charge for stuff, I have a friend employee at the one near me and can get the employee discount and still don't buy much there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Nice looking place but how much .22 ammo did they have?

laugh

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

If we could get some PH's and 24 H safari regulars around that bar, it would beat the Long Bar at the New Stantley in the old days. Imagine that one!

Wouldn't that be something!

Might be an epic bar fight. Might be a hell of an evening. Hard to say. grin

I have been to a bunch of the stores but have yet to hit the home store. I need to do that sometime.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I never got the allure of 'stores' for people.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm with you!! Stores in general creep me out. And in this case...

Liquor and Guns!! Perfect!

So being that they do sell booze can one carry inside?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Good place for japanese tourists.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My kids love to go there and look at the fish, snakes, ducks and turtles. I love to look at the mounts and the firearms and archery museums.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.