Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I was buying some replacement blades for my Havalon and saw this new model from Outdoor Edge.

Razor-Lite EDC same 3.5" blade as their other Razor Series knives.
2.8 oz, thumb stud, pocket clip. Solid lock up. Handle is a little different than the other Razors with tacky rubber inserts. Came with 6 extra blades. Seems to be worth the $25. Probably not an edc for me but I would carry it in my pack.
Note: for those of us used to carrying a Benchmade Mini Griptillian the blade release button on the Outdoor Edge is the same location as the lock release on the BM. Could be dicey if you accidentally released the blade.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks sharp.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at those too for elk and deer hunting. I didm't buy one because it appeared that a lot of hair, tissue and perhaps small slices of meat would get wedged between the blade and the metal support for the blade. Please let us know how yours actually works.

Rolly
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a bad looking knife

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It works.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not being a smart ass, but what is the draw/advantage of a replaceable blade knife?

For me I can't see an advantage.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are people that cannot sharpen a knife by hand to razor shaving sharp.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rolly
I looked at those too for elk and deer hunting. I didm't buy one because it appeared that a lot of hair, tissue and perhaps small slices of meat would get wedged between the blade and the metal support for the blade. Please let us know how yours actually works.

I picked one up at a knife sale that has been used a fair bit. The fat, tissue, etc, had been in the crevices and cracks for a long time, and required nothing more than a simple soaking in warm water and a bit of soap overnight, and 2 seconds of picking with a tooth pick and Q-tip to get it pristine again, in nearly like-new condition.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SLM
Not being a smart ass, but what is the draw/advantage of a replaceable blade knife?

No need to bring a sharpener, no need to stop and sharpen, ability to change the blade style, always razor sharp and light weight

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
How heavy is the blade? Is it like the Havlon, or thicker?

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Razz: the black part of the blade is not replaceable but provides a rigid "backbone" for the replaceable edge making the whole blade unit much more stout. The replaceable part is not at all flimsy. The Outdoor Edge just feels more like a lightweight folding hunting knife than the scalpel-like feel of the havalon.

Subjectively the replaceable Outdoor Edge blade feels stiffer than the havalon 60A blade which is their "thicker, stronger" blade. On my broadhead grain scale the Outdoor Edge blade is twice the weight of the 60A (but also maybe a half inch longer).

For precision skinning/caping and the ability to use different blade profiles, the havalon has the "edge".

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the detailed info Arra. I like my Havalon but will check out the OE for heavier tasks

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by baldhunter
They are people that cannot sharpen a knife by hand to razor shaving sharp.

Can't say I agree. I have some decent knives and know how to put an edge on them.

I use the OE quite a bit. It's really good for skinning and caping.

Yes, it can get gummed up with tallow and the like. And, then I clean if off. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rolly
I have a couple folding blades. After a hunt, I just run them through the dishwasher with the blade open. The water is hot enough to meld out the tallow and if I take it out to dry quickly while still hot, I've never had a rust problem.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
From what Ive seen I like the Outdoor Edge a LOT more than the Havalon. A real winner I think!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by SLM

The sharpening that others mention is first. Second, from experience packing a knife, saw,sharpening stone and steel up the hill in a daypack to deal with cutting up elk a couple miles back in...the spare blade(s) weigh less than the sharpening paraphernalia.

I hate packing anything up the hill I don't have to....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,452
Posts18,528,911
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.