-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As much as I like being agreed with, I wish people would stop quoting me on that thread. It's water under the bridge and long ago settled.

As to this ongoing rukus, there is one non-negotiable absolute forum rule I enforce where I have the authority to do so and believe it should be universal on all forums. That rule is no grudges or vendettas. If a disagreement occurs it should be settled on that thread and then buried. This business of following people from thread to thread and taking potshots at them is beneath any adult and reflects poorly on the entire forum. Speak your peace, shake hands if possible, then win or lose, just let it go. If for some reason certain members can not settle a dispute, they should simply stay away from the other person. I believe that is why this forum has an ignore button.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my observation on another thread is valid here. Folks are ascribing way too much importance to the opinions of strangers.
There has been an increse of petty meanness, and a concomitant increase in hurt feelings, raised hackles, and over the top replies.
Hey, its just an online forum....................
If what happens here has become 'center of life' important to some folks, then they need to take a deep breath, step back, and get a life.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/13/06.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen to that... that's good advice.

Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. -- Daniel Webster
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Maybe I'm just na�ve (gullible?) � but I've never put anybody on "ignore" and don't intend to, since I believe that every Campfire member is an asset with something to offer that's worth listening-to. I don't want to miss the good stuff any more than I want more bad taste in my mouth from the Defecatus bovinus. Even those most vocal purveyors of D bovinus, IMHO, have plenty to offer that's worth our respect and attention.

There's one of the tragedies � that so many waste so much of their time and ours with barnyard scrapings instead of posts that are informative, entertaining, or in some other way at least somewhat interesting. I want to hear what their brains produce, not their bowels.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ken ...

Something about you I find extremely interesting ... is that you continually professes to be an entity unto yourself, having formed your own opinions thru vast life experience; that you have plenty enough conscience, and that you know your job better than anyone else can ... Yet, you sure to seem to care a lot about what others post to you and about you, when it calls into question those things I listed above ...

Seems to me, that if you really didn't care (or however you'd like to phrase it) that you'd not bother taking the time to post these "I don't care what you think of me" threads, much less respond to just about every single post that someone makes in your thread ...

Now, don't confuse what I'm saying here as trying to be your conscience for you ... I'm merely pointing out that what I read between the lines of your writing, is that you crave the attention you get from subtly stirring the pot ...

Also, please don't confuse this post of mine with any lack of respect for your work ... I truly appreciate what you bring to the table with regards to hunting, shooting, rifles, and the sort ...

-WGM-
IC B2

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a whole bunch of people on this thread who are badly in need of a [bleep].

I'll kick in the first $5 towards a remedy at the Moonlite Bunny Ranch............................................................

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
that seemed to quiet things down...any personal testimony regarding the Moonlite CAS?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If we drive any writers away from here we all lose.

The barnyard scrapings and their aroma here have already driven a herd of the best writers away from us. I started jotting a list the other night � of those whom I know of � and stopped at ten top names. Several of those had come here to see what we're like. Some got enough of a whiff from down-wind. Neither bunch will be back soon, if ever.

When Rick and I launched this forum, the idea was to have a place where writers and nonwriters could discuss matters of mutual interest � not a place where nonwriters could lock writers in colonial stocks and pelt 'em with rotten potatoes.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
WGM, I care much about this forum and am taking the heat trying to stanch its flow down the drain.

Don't waste your time trying to read between the lines. Everything that's there to see is right there IN the lines.

One of the most effective tactics in trapping, hunting, or war is the diversion of a prey's or an opponent's attention. What I'm trying to free us all from is a series of diversions that are sapping this forum and can kill it.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i]

What I'm trying to free us all from is a series of diversions that are sapping this forum and can kill it.

Whatever the motives of all involved I agree that this is damaging this forum, which doesn't really bother me all that much, but I do care what it may do to the rest of the board.
The campfire is in danger of becoming a wildfire

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
So we all can rest easier, why don't you make a list of things that we can say to you, or how we might respond to a post that you make. Might be more helpful than all these "what not to say or do to Ken Howell (specifically) and the gunwriters" type threads. Wierd stuff no doubt.

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is it really being someone's "conscience", or is it more friends imperfectly holding each other accountable for their behavior?

Last edited by Blaine; 10/13/06.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If we drive any writers away from here we all lose.

The barnyard scrapings and their aroma here have already driven a herd of the best writers away from us. I started jotting a list the other night � of those whom I know of � and stopped at ten top names. Several of those had come here to see what we're like. Some got enough of a whiff from down-wind. Neither bunch will be back soon, if ever.

When Rick and I launched this forum, the idea was to have a place where writers and nonwriters could discuss matters of mutual interest � not a place where nonwriters could lock writers in colonial stocks and pelt 'em with rotten potatoes.

When you launched this thread, it was.....

I see you doing more to you than anyone else.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As long as Mr. Barsness and Mr. Timm stay around, I'll be happy. My humble impression of Mr. Barsness and Mr. Timm are that they are men who can give and take without getting mad and threaten to take their balls and go home. (no pun intended)

It is also my impression that professional gun writers are mostly semi-regular people who are doing a job and entertaining (sometimes educating) the people who subscribe to their target niche. They probably fall into a normal curve distribution of all the characteristics found in any sample of people in the same career path. Some will be really nice guys, but they might not be the most successful. Some may be considered the top guys in their field, but you probably wouldn't want to break bread or have a beer with them. It this regard, I'd cite the many stories about people dropping in on Elmer Keith without an invitation and being welcomed into his home. There are, with the exception of Clay Harvey's claim, no stories that I recall of anyone dropping in on Jack O'Connor without an invitation and being welcomed into his home. Although I would never think of intruding on Mr. Barsness, or Mr. Timm, I sincerely believe that if I did, and if either of them had some free time, I would be welcomed as a kindred spirit and treated in the Keith manner. And, given Mrs. Barsness� reputation of knowing her way around the kitchen, I think that I�d plan to arrive later in the day, with a good bottle of wine in hand, and hope to snag an invitation to dinner. (what was that address again???)

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I also have a good opinion of the Mr. Barsness and Mr. Timm. I hope that they do indeed remain on this forum. I wish more writers would join the group, but it sounds like this can be a nasty place at times, which is a pity.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know who coined the phrase, but "if it don't kill you, it'll make you stronger". Besides, just repeat after me, "its just the internet, its just the internet, its just the internet and it don't mean $hit!"!

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You won't get any argument on that from me, 260!

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ChuckNelson
How about if you just refrain from posting if YOU do not know the difference? The wierd part is the fact a semi-functioning adult needs to ask the question. Did you intend either post on this thread as anything other than the obvious emotional pile-on? I doubt it.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nebraska
Frankly, I do not see it the same as you. Your posts on this thread have done nothing positive for anybody... notably yourself.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10ring1, 75 invisible), 3,006 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,735
Posts18,494,907
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.