Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10390336 09/05/15
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
So what is your collective take on windows10? I keep getting popups trying to convince me to go to windows10. Since I just got a new laptop running windows 8.1 and I am having an adjustment period from my old laptop running windows 7 I am not in a big hurry to try a new windows lol.

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Instead of having to learn the 8.1, Windows 10 is a lot more similar to the Windows 7 that you are already familiar with.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
P
pumpgun Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
HH

thanks for the feedback

tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just downloaded my free version to replace 8.1. I like it. No problems.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have been running 10 every since it became available...It has been flawless and very easy to run....it is a 1000 times better than windows 8.1.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I expected download to take a half hour. Maybe an hour.
It took 4 1/2 hours and the computer was completely disabled the entire time.

At the 2 hour mark I called the windows customer service line and was on hold for 25 minutes. When a human came onto the phone line, she did not speak English at all.

At the 3 hour mark I got several messages that the download and installation was taking longer than usual. Shortly after this my screen went black and neither the mouse or the keyboard could bring it to life.

At the 4 1/2 hour mark my screen had been black for 1.5 hours. I did a forced power down and rebooted. it took 45 minutes to reboot, but then the windows 10 seemed to work ok.

a day later I did have issues with some programs but got a window that showed some patches downloading.

Works about like window 7 now.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I downloaded it about a week ago on my laptop. It is worlds better than 8.1, so far I really like it. Time will tell but it seems like they finally got it right.

Last edited by 444Matt; 09/05/15.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
we were convinced to give Windows 10 a try on two computers. One running Windows 7 and the other 8.1. Windows 8.1 we had never liked and we both fought over the older computer running Windows 7. Well Windows 10 is on both now and it's worse than 8.1. A lot of programs don't work at all, the most commonly used applications are difficult to find. Even simple printing has become a chore. Every time I try to print it wants to send it to a service instead of my printer. Norton 360 anti virus software will not work correctly with Windows 10 as it does not allow extension. To get Norton 360 to work you have to disable Windows 10 new "EDGE" search engine and go back to something like Bing or Google Chrome. In my opinion that negates any benefits I may have received from upgrading. In short this will be my last "upgrade". Not to mention Windows 10 wants to track everything you do and send/use the info for????? To be fair I am 60 years old, hate change but up till now thought I was at least reasonably computer literate. Windows 10 wants to make me quit using the damn thing all together. But 444Matt is right.....it does work better than Windows 8.1, lol.

Farming, or anything else for that matter, is easy when your plow's a keyboard and you're a 1000 miles from the field.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We went to 10 on a netbook, a tablet, and a desktop. My wife has problems with any computer she uses, and had a minor one with 10, but customer service got her back up. No other problems. It works fine with Firefox and Chrome browsers, Robo-Form, AdBlock Plus, Avast!, and Open Office software.

I haven't yet upgraded this desktop (running 7), but probably will before long.

If you have more than one computer to upgrade, it helps a LOT to download the upgrade package to a thumb drive and upgrade from that. Saves a lot of downloading. It still takes three hours or so, with multiple restarts. And when it looks like it is done, it won't work right until you restart one more time. Be SURE to do that. Take it all the way to OFF and then reboot.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I downloaded Win 10 2 weeks ago. I did have initial problems with my e-mail (Verizon) account and with Fire Fox, but both issues have been corrected with updates.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Not to mention Windows 10 wants to track everything you do and send/use the info for?????

Win 7 and 8.1 just got these updates, you can disable them but they are still tracking you just like 10 if you use a Microsoft account.

KB3068708 This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB3075249 This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

KB3080149 This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

Swifty
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you have more than one computer to upgrade, it helps a LOT to download the upgrade package to a thumb drive and upgrade from that. Saves a lot of downloading. It still takes three hours or so, with multiple restarts. And when it looks like it is done, it won't work right until you restart one more time. Be SURE to do that. Take it all the way to OFF and then reboot.
How big of a thumb drive does it require?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It only needs a 4gb thumb drive. It fits on less than that.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It only needs 4 gig and it takes hours to download? What's it doing in the meantime, uploading your entire hard drive to MS?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No. The 4gb is apparently the setup package that controls the upgrade. There are still a lot of things to download and install sequentially. THAT's what takes three hours.

But you will save time by not having to download the 4gb package each and every time.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My Windows 7 works just fine... think I'll keep it and forget Windows 10.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

R
Ron Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I started the down load at 0600 this am and it finished at 0710. Only problem I had was audio on videos...reloaded the audio drivers and everything else has worked. Easiest Windows upgrade yet.

Capt Ron

Magnolia Bluff, FL..............Where Heaven is a local call!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ive been running it the past 3 weeks, I like it, boot time is much faster.
Only problem was I had to update bitdefender.
Other than that everything works

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Obama says he wants to get us off these gun sights with window10 or what ever we have .Why to take our gun rights away . Its the Democrats way even Hillary dumbazz Clinton says the same thing about this But in my thinking she and the rest of them Clinton are about as smart as a box of chit

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good friend of mine does a LOT of service work on PC's and PC based networks. He's good enough that one of his largest customers is the FBI. His advice about Windows 10: "DON'T DO IT!!!!!"

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 46 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,261
Posts18,504,828
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.