-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Irish Setters have been by far the best boots I've worn.I've always bought their Gore-Tex boots with welt not the glue on soles and they have never leaked.I always wear the soles out,but the leather is still good.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ro1459
I have had a pair of Rocky's for over 20 years and love them. I only use them for hunting though. I also have a pair of Kenetrek 800's that I use for Elk hunting. One week a year for 12 years. No better in my mind. I would purchase either boots again. However, if money is not an issue, I would get Kenetrek's.

I have a pair of Rocky's I bought around 2007 I think. Like you, I only hunted and scouted in them. The left one fell apart 3 or 4 years ago. The sole separated. The rubber compound that the stitching goes through at the top edge of the sole deteriorated and crumbled. The right shoe still has the sole on but about half of the molding compound covering the stitching has crumbled on it too. These are a pair of leather ankle high hunting shoes. The tread, leather and everything else is fine. I may try to glue it back on with shoe goo but there is nothing I can do about the stitching since there is nothing to stitch through anymore. Other than falling apart (hahaha), I loved these shoes though. They are light, very comfortable and kept my feet dry and warm. Based on your comment and a few others, sounds like the Rocky's were well made 20 years ago, but maybe not so anymore. I don't like most of the hunting shoes/boots I see and I'm thinking of going with a good hiking shoe or boot next.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a hunting boot, I have Danner Pronghorns. The Ridgemaster is a good boot as well.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 6 pair of Danners for different applications. Why do I have this many Danners, I have no idea. Gotta stop buying boots and buy more rifles. The higher ones for Deer and Elk and the lower ones for Turkey. Some insulated and some not. They are having a sale now but I don't dare look. I also have a fixation on hats. When I kick the bucket my wife says she is going to have the Mother of all Yard sales.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Red Wing Iron Rangers. Worn the hell outta them. Work hard in em. Got em on right now. Bought them in October of 2012. Currently need to polish them. Like them so much I have another new pair in back up.
[Linked Image]

I wish I had bought mine 20 years ago.
Best boots ever...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear Rockys on duty and haven't had an issue with them, but Danners are THE schitt.

I've had two pairs in the last 25 years with about 18 years on the current pair (Ft. Lewis Go-Devils). My first pair fell apart in about 7 years, but I got them while I was still marching in the Legions and put them through hell on active duty and LE duty which included seeing me through the academy.

I've taken much better care of the second pair and even though I've had them since 1997, the only thing wrong with them are treads wearing thin and the Gore-Tex booty is no longer completely waterproof.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Who builds a good, extra wide boot?
My everyday boots are not really suitable for hiking, although they see a LOT of mileage.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
russell's have been solid for me for 15 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who builds a good, extra wide boot?

My issue is a very narrow foot, and adding socks to a poorly fit shoe is not the answer.

Whites in Spokane routinely does custom boots. One pays an additional custom fee for the first pair. They retain the lasts, however, and there are no additional charges for subsequent builds.

Their process is they ship one a pair of off the shelf boots based on the various dimensions and sketches one provides via their sizing kit. Wear them around the house and critique those with suggested nips and tucks, return them, and they will build a pair to your specs. If one has no issues with the supplied sample, they build a similar pair, and there are no custom charges.

Very expensive, but damned well worth it. Lived, worked, and played in the same brand of boots since 1982, and I've never seen or heard any reports of their products falling apart. Made with the best of leathers and held together with triple+ stitching, screws, and glue. They will rebuild them until the tops literally fall apart. I presently have 5 pair with a couple that have been through 3 rebuilds.

1Minute
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
US made Danner's for me Meindls are good but they're usually too narrow for me..

Last edited by CEJ1895; 09/10/15.

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.