Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
My boy Marlin is out, but wow what a job that McMurray kid is doing! I am not a big fan of Stewart but it looks like his to take. What do you guys think? And also is Mc Murray signed up to run with anybody next year? Seems like he would be a hot ticket.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
"ANYBODY" but Tony Stewart! At least that's what I'am hoping for. -memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stewart (drat)
<br>
<br>My sentimental favorites Martin, and Rusty can't get it done this year.
<br>
<br>The newest sensation McMurray is another example of plunking a young driver in a top ride and witnessing instant success. Ie Busch, Johnson, Newman, Harvick.
<br>
<br>There is a changing of the guard about to happen. (or maybe it already has)
<br>
<br>JimF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Much as I hate to agree with anyone from NY, [Linked Image] I'm with you in Sterling's camp! Dang the luck, but there's always next year.
<br>
<br>I personally would rather see Martin take it, but I don't hold any ill will towards Stewart. Just seems to me that NASCAR owes one to Martin over that restrictor plate deal years ago. Hey, anybody but Gordon!
<br>
<br>I believe McMurray was already signed to drive a cup car for Gionasi next year. That's why they subbed him for Marlin. I'm just surprised they'd let him run more than 5 races, as that DQs him for Rookie of the Year.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
NYSavagefan,
<br>
<br>As a Chrysler retiree, I wouldn't mind seeing a Dodge do it. We had a lot of fun rooting for King Richard in the old days.
<br>
<br>Norm

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An old Earnhardt fan here, but I was/am pulling for Mark Martin to finally win him a championship this year. Looks iffy at this point though.
<br>Almost got punched in the snot locker at Charlotte, the year Martin won the Winston when Gordon ran outta gas ('98).
<br>After Earnhardt wrecked, I spent the rest of the night pullin' for Martin. Surrounded by Ford monkeys, some of whom didn't take kindly to me rootin' on Martin while wearin' a #3 hat. [Linked Image]

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dube,
<br>
<br>I side with you.........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm hoping Stewart takes it this year, NASCAR could use a few guys with some personality who aren't afraid to stir things up once in a while. -KT28

After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
dubePA,
<br>
<br>Some guys have no sense of humor.
<br>
<br>N

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mighta been cuz I incited them a wee bit after they started cacklin' at me. Asked the noisiest one if he knew Mark's wife's name (Eileen or Arlene, forget now)...he didn't. Asked him if he knew Mark's son's name (Matt)...he didn't. Told him that must make me the "bigger" Martin fan. [Linked Image]
<br>Martin is an intense individual that is all bidness when it comes to his chosen profession. I admire that in anyone.
<br>Did have some fun years ago, when they made such a deal out of Martin's physical fitness regimen. Have a dairyfarmer cousin that's a Martin fan and liked to remind of this 'un.
<br>
<br> After one extremely hot race, when Martin won, they had to drag his carcass out of the car and sit him down for a few minutes due to heat exhaustion.
<br>Couple weeks later Earnhardt won under identical circumstances, jumped out of the car in the winner's circle.
<br>Interviewer asked if he'd had any problems with the heat, since one or two drivers had to be "replaced" due to the heat. Earnhardt, said nah, if they'd pay me enough, I'd run another 500 miles.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
dubePA,
<br>
<br>And there are folks out there who say race drivers aren't athletes.
<br>
<br>I'm getting a little long in tooth but got into a go cart to race agains my son-in-law a couple of years ago. In addition to getting my behind kicked, I was stiff and sore for two days.
<br>
<br>Dang kid runs 5 miles per day except when he's training for a serious race when he will run up to 12 miles at at time. He was fit and I wasn't so fit and he won.
<br>
<br>N

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sure hope Mark Martin wins it!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing that got me rooting for Martin is this.
<br>
<br>Years ago, (can't remember how many) TNN was doing tours of the pits between segmants of "The Winston" at Charlotte. They were showing the drivers motor homes where they live at the track. Rusty's was immaculatly clean, with all the comforts of home. VCR, big screen TV, stereos, you name it, and he had it. I got no problem with that. Rusty lives in that thing alot, and can afford such refinements.
<br>
<br>Then they stopped by Martin's. While it was clean, there were kids toys scattered all over the inside. I looked around my living room at the same "mess", and thought "Now there is a man I can relate to". [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I still like the Dodges, especialy Sterling. I've been a fan of his since the days he drove the #22 for Jr Johnson. But Martin is right up there too. I don't like Chevys, but Little E showed alot of class at The Winston this year, so I'm no longer disgusted when he wins, either.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My reason for pulling for the #6 is that Mark has NEVER adopted the Dale/Dale Jr./Stewart/Gordon/Harvick "bump and run" technique. Maybe I missed it but I don't think any of Martins 40 or so wins have come from spinning another car. Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen D.J. do that to anyone.
<br>
<br>Rusty of course has........but hey I'm a Ford Guy.
<br>
<br>I think that my anti Chevy sentiment comes from the fact that they always seem to get more "help" from Nascar when they are not winning. That and the fact that most of the drivers with obnoxious or unsafe driving styles seem to be in GM rides. (With the obvious, exceptions of Rusty and Jimmy)
<br>
<br>JimF

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was stuck for a while rooting for anyone named Petty after my beloved MOPARS left the game. Now I can get back into it wholesale. I want to see what that 5.7 liter hemi will do with a little NASCAR tech work under the hood. I am also waiting to find a wrecked hemi RAM so that I can drop one of those engines into my 73 Challenger. Think it may be a fun project.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't worry, if that new Hemi runs anywhere near the old ones, it'll be outlawed by the third lap at Daytona! [Linked Image] This is s-o-p for NASCAR. Anything faster than a Chevy is outlawed immediatly.
<br>
<br>Jim, what are you gonna do next year with Rusty in an Intrepid? Welcome to the Mopar camp! [Linked Image]
<br>7mm

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys must hyperventilate when they show that new Dodge Hemi-Ram commercial on TV...the one with the two dimwits alongside the guy in the Ram, towing an old Charger on the trailer. [Linked Image]
<br>Mark darn near pulled off a win today. Loved Stew-boy's comments after the race: "that car was a piece of sh*t". Time for another Dale Carnegie lesson for Tony.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was pleased to see the Rouch team pull it together to let Mark Martin lead for a lot o laps to help in the point standing!
<br>
<br>Go Mark Martin!
<br>
<br>I wish he could have won!

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm
<br>
<br>"Jim, what are you gonna do next year with Rusty in an Intrepid? Welcome to the Mopar camp"!
<br>
<br>Well............I HAVE been thinkin' 'bout a new Dodge truck.
<br>
<br>Thank God Penske did not decide to go to GM. I would hate that.
<br>
<br>JimF

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The comment about the car running like "a piece of S#*t" was just great. In a time when we are used to hearing "The Henry & Glick Brothers number 72 Chevy really ran well today, and I would like to thank........." on and on not ever mentioning that the car stank.
<br>
<br>I will forgive the profanity just because it was a rare glimpse of honesty in a screwey world of professional sports frauds.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,024 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,620
Posts18,533,042
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.