-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
How is it going everyone? I have been lurking on this site for a little while reading about the Savage 99 since I got it. Before asking any questions that I am sure where answered here before, I decided to read up a little bit and do some investigating myself about the Savage 99.

I got my C&R licence a few years ago and started collecting mil-surplus rifles. I was active on other sites talking and learning about those as well. Once the flare and availability ran out with the mil-surplus rifles I could afford, I soon got my first lever gun, a 1963 Winchester Model 94 in 32 Special. Once I got my first lever gun, I was was hooked and started looking for any lever gun that was 50 years old or more (C&R Eligible) . Soon after I got a few Marlin 336's (.32 special, and .35 rem), a model 94 trapper in 30-30, and of course my latest addition to my collection, my Savage 99 in .300 savage.

Since I got my Model 99, I learned that the lever boss code is a (D) stamp, so made in year 1952. The Butt plate is the steel "shotgun" style. The forearm has a schnoble and the stock is pistol grip, both with checkering. The model first appeared to be an EG, but I was uncertain until a member here confirmed through a discussion by email.
Serial is 6308XX. The rotary magazine is not Brass, instead it appears to be case colored. I confirmed it is steel with a magnet.

I wanted to utilize the cartridges full potential, since I already have a few brush/close range lever guns, so I began my search for a way to mount a scope. Since it was not D&T, it appeared my only option was a Stith mount. Trying to get my hand on one of those seemed to be a little out of my price range and limited by scope choices. That was until I found out that member Lightfoot makes a no drill mount. So needless to say I inquired about one of his mounts, and will soon have one in my possession (he is the one that confirmed it as an EG model).

Last but not least, here is a link to some pictures of my 99. Let me know what you guys think.

Savage 99 Album

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice one. They're good guns to hunt with. The thumbnail accompanying my post shows a cow elk I killed with a 99G 300 Savage at 200 yards. I've got a Lightfoot mount on a 1911 vintage SRC with a Weaver K4 60C that shoots groups ranging from just under and inch to an inch and half. An EG with a lightfoot mount and a modern scope would be hard to beat. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Welcome to the fire. Great support group here for those that have the Savage 99 addiction. Appears you have done your homework well.

Support group also act as an enablers, so their support is for only enabling you to increase your addiction.

First rule here is try not to be thin skinned, its also the second and third rules. Be patient with the group as we are old,set in our ways and cantankerous. Were capable of biting (no teeth) grin and patting you on the back in the same breath. Especially when you post pictures of your latest rare 99 find.

Think you will enjoy the friendship of the fire, I do. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Welcome. Pull up a stool. Pass the jug of Old Stump Blower.

I gotta say that was the most well constructed introductory post I have seen here in a long long time.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely welcome to the campfire! Nice, honest EG you have there. You'll find it hunts very well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Welcome. Pull up a stool. Pass the jug of Old Stump Blower.

I gotta say that was the most well constructed introductory post I have seen here in a long long time.

"Pass the jug of Old Stump Blower"???

Hmmmmm... sounds like you're a Corey Ford "fan", Gnoahhh... that wonderful, down-to-earth author who penned "The Lower 40" column in Field & Stream Magazine back in the '40s, '50s and early 1960s.

Corey Ford was/is my favorite outdoor author and I always looked forward, back in those days, to receiving each month's issue of Field & Stream Magazine containing Ford's "Lower Forty Shooting, Angling and Inside Straight Club" column with it's "collection" of motley "Up-East" characters living in the mythical town of "Hardscrabble" where the Club Members met and made silly, soul-searching decisions about things they often couldn't control in any event in the back, next to the pot-bellied stove, of Uncle Perk's General Store.

Ford brought this unlikely "group" into the hearts of American hunters and fishermen as nothing else could have when "Uncle Perk" put his "CLOSED FOR INVENTORY" sign in the window of his general store and call the "Meeting" to order while passing a fresh jug of Old Stump Blower around as the meeting progressed.

I have several of Ford's books with a number of his stories in addition to those many columns which he wrote for his "Lower 40" column.

Sorry... didn't intend to "steal" this thread, but when I saw "... Old Stump Blower", I just had to mention Corey Ford's wonderful stories which I enjoyed so very much.

Thanks for reminding me of those wonderful memories... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome Pyro. You started out with an iconic 99, the 300 EG. And in my opinion, for what little it's worth, you're on the right track for scoping it. I'm fortunate to have Savages with Stith mounting systems that I've had for a few years, but the Lightfoot mount is a beauty and more versatile than the Stith for matching it with your choice of scope. Be sure and post pics again when you complete the scope installation.
yooper

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That looks like a nice 99EG. Hope you enjoy shooting it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice one, welcome to the forums

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257 mag, 007FJ, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,159 guests, and 902 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,486
Posts18,508,923
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.