Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#10414094 09/10/15
rusty25 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking for advice on which game bags and which source to buy from for upcoming elk hunt. I know there's a lot of experience here. I've seen this topic discussed before, but the search function failed me. Thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We go to WalMart and purchase king sized cotton pillow cases. You can also go to Good Will and find them sometimes for a lot less.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by ro1459
We go to WalMart and purchase king sized cotton pillow cases. You can also go to Good Will and find them sometimes for a lot less.

There ya' go!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Old sheets & pillow cases work great. They can be washed or just tossed after use. Since my boys are long gone, I have leopard spot and Superman game bags.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
LOL!!

ElkNut1

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pillowcases from the thrift store, $0.50 to $1.00 each, cleaned, weighted. The 5 lightest ones are folded neatly, placed and vacuum sealed in bag. They stay dry, take minimal space, and I look forward to busting the seal.

Be Safe,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
rusty25 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Thanks for the replies! Guess I'll be keeping an eye out for some pillow case deals.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As an alternative I use the Cabela's Alaska Game bags. I like them. Not much to say about them, they haven't ever broken, are big enough to hold an elk front quarter+backstrap or hind quarter, and keep flies off. All the attributes a game bag should have.

Not to say the pillowcase bag won't work. I just don't wash/reuse my game bags.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you've got a couple of hotels in your area, go in and talk to the house cleaning manager. I used to work for a hotel and we were constantly throwing out stained pillow cases. People were forever spilling wine and cola and other food on them and staining them. They can be washed and used for game bags without worry. Have them put them aside for you and go by on a regular basis and pick them up.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
At any rate, avoid the cheap cheese cloth bags. They won't keep the meat clean and flies will lay eggs right through them. They're totally useless.

― George Orwell

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
These are not cheap, but are good if weight matters:

https://store.kifaru.net/meat-bags-p28.aspx

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we used those plastic woven seed sacks that grass seed comes in for carrying the meat out. They dont rip and they slide easy over grass if dragging quarters. Now you dont want to use them to hang the meat to cool but they work great to protect it. We would buy them for a buck apiece from a local grass seed grower.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like Alaska game bags, have worked well for me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
+1

Really like how they stretch, are form fitting and unroll. Strong too. $12 for a 4 pack is one of the better deals hunters get.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Old GI laundry bags work great to if you can find some.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm a little picky with pillowcases at Goodwill. Try to snag the Disney ones when they show up. Because I'm like that.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I'm a little picky with pillowcases at Goodwill. Try to snag the Disney ones when they show up. Because I'm like that.

I'd skip Disney and go for the Comic superheroes if you really want to impress your friends!

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The pillow cases didn't work for me. Too small (I guess you could put two on an elk quarter, 1 on top and 1 on bottom) but they also ripped fairly easy. I carry 2 heavy duty canvas bags now and have more at camp. The ones from Gander Mountain and Cabelas work well.

They're heavy, which is why I only carry two, but they're plenty big enough and much higher quality. When on horseback, I carry several but when on foot, I just bring more in on the second trip in to get the meat.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
The pillow cases didn't work for me. Too small (I guess you could put two on an elk quarter, 1 on top and 1 on bottom) but they also ripped fairly easy. I carry 2 heavy duty canvas bags now and have more at camp. The ones from Gander Mountain and Cabelas work well.

They're heavy, which is why I only carry two, but they're plenty big enough and much higher quality. When on horseback, I carry several but when on foot, I just bring more in on the second trip in to get the meat.

Where's the like button? I want material heavy enough nit to rip and strong enough that I can hang the bags if need be. I guess it depends on how you expect to use them. I did use king sized sheets golfed in half last year on the advise of the guy who cuts them up after shot, but I had no illusions of boning and trying to manhandle 250# quarters .

Bob
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pillow cases are too small for a full elk quarter. However, the fabric is very tough. A sheet sewn into a couple bags only takes a few minutes to make and costs close to nothing.

― George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,447 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.