Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
So I get to the range to do some shooting the other day, just getting my gear out and set up when I get a text alert that I'm 1 GB over my monthly allotment. I knew I was getting close, when I left home I had about .9 GB left of my ten GB monthly allotment. WTH??? So I do a little shooting, another text alert. I've blown through another 1 GB in less than forty five minutes. Something ain't right. So I call my wife, sure enough she's on the PC at home and using my hot spot checking on a couple of accounts while on the 'net. But 2+ GBs in that short time???

Fast forward to tonight, I get on the 'net and do a search on Windows10 downloads. Guess what? Whether you've reserved a copy of 10 or not MS has been trickling the Windows10 OS to your computer storing it in a hidden folder. The download is a total of 6 GB per computer which is the reason for the trickle feed. Once the download is complete you'll get a message to upgrade to 10. Not a big deal if you're running on wifi with unlimited data. I use a hot spot which has a shared monthly allowance of 10 GB for my laptop and desktop PC. This month I've gone over my max by 6 GB, expect to do the same next month. That's $15 per GB, Windows 10 is gonna cost me $180 in the long run... mad

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where do they keep this 6GB?

[Linked Image from ]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am sorry this is going to cost you almost $200, however, how could you not know that downloading and Operating System would be something requiring huge amounts of data? There were plenty of chances for you to back out, or not click on the yes button.

Again I am sorry this is going to cost you the money, but ultimately you agreed to it....how is this the fault of microsoft?

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Hidden folder in your system files, $Windows.bt

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I am sorry this is going to cost you almost $200, however, how could you not know that downloading and Operating System would be something requiring huge amounts of data? There were plenty of chances for you to back out, or not click on the yes button.

Again I am sorry this is going to cost you the money, but ultimately you agreed to it....how is this the fault of microsoft?

You aren't given the option to prevent the download or to opt out.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

he didnt agree to anything, it downloaded on its own in the background from what i read

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rattler

he didnt agree to anything, it downloaded on its own in the background from what i read

Yup...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by rattler

Yup...

Sorry for the misunderstanding...I had to click yes to agree to it, and it has yet to download.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I think that if you look for the folder it's already downloaded. Mine appears to be complete on my desktop, I didn't click on the setup.exe file to initiate the upgrade.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have 8.[bleep] so whatever it is will be an upgrade.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Originally Posted by ConradCA

Hidden folder in your system files, $Windows.bt
I did a quick files search and that file does not show up.. Any other way to see if it's here?

About every 2-3 days I get a popup that wants me to get W-10.. I refuse to accept the offer. Nope - I'll stick to W-7..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Lee go to "Computer" select "OS" under "Hard Disk Drives". Make sure you have "show hidden files" enabled, it will be the top folder labeled "Windows.~bt". Right click on "Properties" and you'll be able to see the file size. I just checked my laptop, it shows an RCH over 4 GB. Still has a couple more GBs to download.

I'll eventually upgrade to 10, I'd prefer to do it when I'm ready and it's been thoughtly debugged.

I
I
Showed up on mine 5.8g

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Where to find 'show hidden files'? I've tried all the above and see nada..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never mind - found it (finally).. Now just have to change over to 'administrator'...

Thanks to all.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I did (inadvertently) agree to download Windows 10 and it did. Initially, I had issues with non-comparability with Firefox and Verizon.net, but these were sorted out in about an (agonizing) week.

Working well now, but it does take up storage.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Wow...I mean that sucks it will cost you for something you were not aware of. However, what service do you have that is only 10GB a month and $15 per GB after. That is some of the worst I have heard, and i am in IT in a rural area. Satellite internet is better than that. I would look for a new service if I were you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is very poor judgment on MS' part.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
To be fair, MS does tell you that it will download the files in background until you are ready to upgrade.

And in AJ's instance, it isn't MS that's charging him for the downloads, it's his internet provider. So I don't think we can assign "blame" for this; it's just an unfortunate combination of events that were carried out exactly as advertised - but which added up to a hefty surcharge.

There are several woulda coulda shouldas we can offer, but none of them will help at this point.

AJ, if I were you, I'd contact your internet provider and see if you can work out a discount or something because it wasn't you who deliberately used all that bandwidth.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.