RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by deflave

And I've been laughing ever since.

Travis

You really need to come up with some new material, you're just unimaginative. Rather than talk through an issue, you just ridicule. You do that because you're defending a hit ratio of 1.19% and you're just plain wrong, so when in doubt just sling chit. Like I said before, just juvenile. But those with any critical thinking skills can see through it for what it is; sniveling.

So, what's your solution here? More range time? Rodman's Neck in the Bronx (NYPD outdoor range) is going 24/7, 365. No cops or citizens hurt; bad guy in custody. Sounds like a win to me. What's "too many"? If only 50 rounds were fired and the suspect was killed, would that be OK? How about 20 rounds, no hits, and the suspect surrenders? Inquiring minds want to know your solution to a nonexistent problem.

Were "too many" rounds fired at the North Hollywood gunfight? Somewhere over 2,000 total were launched there. Same outcome...bad guys lost, good guys OK, no citizens hurt. Yes, training was updated as lessons were learned, but cops at the scene did the best they could under tough, unusual conditions. You respond and react to the situation you're given, not the scenario you want at the range.

The shooting will be critiqued up and down the chain of command and torn apart by the dept tactics and firearms guys. Findings will be disseminated and training will be updated and modified. And that's pretty good for a 35,000 man dept. Travis has actually been easy on you. But you only know what you know.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 09/11/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it is axiomatic that, as the number of variables and the fluctuations within variable categories increase, hit potential goes down. The square range on the perfect sunny day and with no movement is as good as it gets. It goes downhill from there. Yet, I know people who were atrocious on the square range who could buck up and get hits under life threatening stress.

I have a hard time drawing any conclusions on what works and what doesn’t across all people and variables. Actual gunfights are low frequency events and most people don’t get to be in a lot of them. Training can be geared to simulating actual conditions, but it still isn’t the same. (Also, SIMS don’t really work as well as distances increase.)

The only thing I know for sure is that you have a 100% chance of not hitting the target if you don’t shoot at it. So, if the person needs shooting, somebody probably needs to get cranking. When it comes to both opponents moving and especially as distances increase, the actions of coordinating the sights, estimating lead and executing appropriate trapping or tracking techniques and keeping all that together for the shot and follow through becomes darn hard and even daunting for the super pro operators. (Look at people shooting something as simple as an IDPA qualifier with minor forward movement toward a stationary target at relatively close distance.) As long as lives are not endangered, extra holes in trees and such are not a real downside any more than holes in the berm on the range. Of course, decision-making changes once no-shoot targets get in the picture.

Am I supporting the use of volume fire in lieu of proper technique? Of course not. But, sometimes it takes a lot of rounds to end the conflict. (North Hollywood is an example.)

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So are you saying that 84 rounds and one hit is okay? Sure it all turned out just fine in this incident, but what about next time?

There's a bit of a disturbing pattern with NYPD and their lack of marksmanship.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25/nypd-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/n...york-city-police-investigation.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/16/n...-square-police-wound-two-bystanders.html

And Travis isn't engaging in any sort of debate; just just slinging mud. He actually started to debate for the first time I've ever seen in years at the Campfire, but then he just couldn't help himself. I kept it civilized until he decided to sling mud. I'd be happy to gentlemanly debate the issue with him, but he's not capable of that. You said in one post 10x more than Travis has said on the subject. I think it's because you have the critical thinking skills to intelligently debate the subject, and he doesn't.

With Travis there is no disagreement, if you don't see things his way, then you must be some blithering idiot; childish.

You and I are on different sides of this one, but you didn't resort to being childish at all, you presented VERY good points that I find difficult to counter. You were able to make your case in a gentlemanly fashion. I both agree and disagree with your position, but I appreciate you being a gentleman about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
84 rounds with 1 hit is certainly nothing to aspire to. The mounted officer in Austin who took the one handed 312 foot shot from atop a horse should be the goal. But, run and gun deals get crazy, and it is hard to make generalizations or to suggest that more firearms training would have resulted in a hit earlier in the process. How many (stationary) people repeatedly fire shotguns at moving birds and fail to connect with a single pellet. How could they miss? Well, it happens.

I don’t see much benefit in debating incidents as they appear in brief news articles. They don’t provide much probative value as to whether the police should have been able to hit the bad guys under the particular circumstances (or whether they should have fired at all).

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If y'all don't behave I'm gonna walk out back and shoot an old water heater tank at 200 yards with my 1860 Army wink

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SargeMO
If y'all don't behave I'm gonna walk out back and shoot an old water heater tank at 200 yards with my 1860 Army wink

Please take note that it isn't running.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
So are you saying that 84 rounds and one hit is okay? Sure it all turned out just fine in this incident, but what about next time?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/25/nypd-shooting-bystander-victims-hit-by-police-gunfire/

And Travis isn't engaging in any sort of debate; just just slinging mud. He actually started to debate for the first time I've ever seen in years at the Campfire, but then he just couldn't help himself. I kept it civilized until he decided to sling mud. I'd be happy to gentlemanly debate the issue with him, but he's not capable of that. You said in one post 10x more than Travis has said on the subject. I think it's because you have the critical thinking skills to intelligently debate the subject, and he doesn't.

With Travis there is no disagreement, if you don't see things his way, then you must be some blithering idiot; childish.

You and I are on different sides of this one, but you didn't resort to being childish at all, you presented VERY good points that I find difficult to counter. You were able to make your case in a gentlemanly fashion. I both agree and disagree with your position, but I appreciate you being a gentleman about it.

JFC Gibson. How much further can you cram RGK's cock down your throat?

Wouldn't it be easier to just STFU and admit you don't know WTF you're talking about?

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Please take note that it isn't running.

Travis

Killjoy.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm thinking I may find a way to attach IPSC targets to my son's Traxxas R/C truck. Just for fun.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No doubt Gibson will morph into an R/C guru next time he logs on and give me all sorts of advice on that schit too.

Travis

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I find it amusing that some think they know what the hit ratio should be in a gunfight, despite having never been involved in one.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I could hit a guy at 400 yards with a handgun in less than 84 rounds.

No you couldn't.
If you want to make the trip, I'll use my Colt's .38 Super to hit an IPSC target at 400 yards off hand inside of 84 rounds. If I win, you give me $1,000.00. If I lose, you leave with my .38 Super (which is about $1,400.00). Make the trip, you can stay at my house for the weekend. I'll feed you right and proper with biscuits and gravy for breakfast, and I'll even put a brisket and some baby backs on the smoker and give you a right proper meal and your favorite beer on ice to wash it down with.

To be honest, I've never tried it at 400 yards before; so this would be "fair chase". I've done it at 250, but that's as far as I've shot my Super. So how confident are you of your calling me out on that one?

My Super has some custom touches, but accuracy wise, it's the factory barrel with the factory bushing and link.

Think of it...you HATE MY GUTS...You could have my personal pistol, and you could post pictures of it daily on the Campfire and call me a braggart who couldn't hold up his end. If you lose, I'll pocket the grand and I won't even mention it on the Campfire; it will just be between you and I.

Wow, where to start…..

First, I don’t hate you. I hope you sleep better tonight knowing that. But not while actually thinking about me. Don’t think about me when you sleep, just sleep more peacefully because of me.

Secondly, no, I will not travel to NW Nevada. Although I figure you’re an alright guy, a sleepover is mosdef out of the question. You’ll never put your gravy on my biscuits.

Thirdly, feel free to hit the 400 yard target. I don’t think you can. But if you wanna prove me wrong, please do. You can post about it and I’ll say, “Wow Kevin. Great shooting. That’s awesome. I probably couldn’t make that shot, even with 85 shots.”

There’s no need to wait on me to drive all the way across the country to make the shot. If you need 84 bullets I’ll put some in a shoebox and mail it to you. Just let me know.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blue is busy, and I'm his wingman.

And thanks to Dave for having my back today while I was busy at the range.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I find it amusing that some think they know what the hit ratio should be in a gunfight, despite having never been involved in one.
Well that makes 4 regulars of the Campfire who disagree with me, and 3 who were capable of being gentlemen about it (Beavis is still a juvenile). We'll just have to disagree. I don't think you have to have been in a gunfight to know that one hit out of 84 rounds is not a good thing. But you guys (and Beavis) disagree and find it acceptable. Okay then.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JFC Gibson. How much further can you cram RGK's cock down your throat?

Wouldn't it be easier to just STFU and admit you don't know WTF you're talking about?

Travis
Nice job Beavis, what a burn!!! You're so clever.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If you want to make the trip, I'll use my Colt's .38 Super to hit an IPSC target at 400 yards off hand inside of 84 rounds. If I win, you give me $1,000.00. If I lose, you leave with my .38 Super (which is about $1,400.00). Make the trip, you can stay at my house for the weekend. I'll feed you right and proper with biscuits and gravy for breakfast, and I'll even put a brisket and some baby backs on the smoker and give you a right proper meal and your favorite beer on ice to wash it down with.

To be honest, I've never tried it at 400 yards before; so this would be "fair chase". I've done it at 250, but that's as far as I've shot my Super. So how confident are you of your calling me out on that one?

My Super has some custom touches, but accuracy wise, it's the factory barrel with the factory bushing and link.

Think of it...you HATE MY GUTS...You could have my personal pistol, and you could post pictures of it daily on the Campfire and call me a braggart who couldn't hold up his end. If you lose, I'll pocket the grand and I won't even mention it on the Campfire; it will just be between you and I.

Did somebody mention juvenile?

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

And thanks to Dave for having my back today while I was busy at the range.

No prob, Mav.

All I had to do yesterday was punch Meg Ryan and make fun of Debbie Gibson here.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok Gibson. Since you think you know what you're talking about and have deemed these officer's shooting ability as unacceptable...

Break down the gunfight for me. Distances. Lighting. Cover and concealment. Officers involved. Speed of target. Shooting while moving, shooting while not moving. All of it.

And after you break that down, tell me how it compares to Use of Force statistics around the country.

Go.

Travis

Any fugkin' day now, Gibson.

Set us straight.

Clever Beavis

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well that makes 4 regulars of the Campfire who disagree with me, and 3 who were capable of being gentlemen about it (Beavis is still a juvenile). We'll just have to disagree. I don't think you have to have been in a gunfight to know that one hit out of 84 rounds is not a good thing. But you guys (and Beavis) disagree and find it acceptable. Okay then.

I have no idea of the conditions and or obstacles involved in this particular gunfight and neither do you. Therefor I have no idea if the hit ratio is justified or not. Slinging lead at the bad guy can keep the bad guy from sling lead back at you. The good guys in the case won, no harm no foul.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I love this place. More intertaininig then any TV. Lol.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 23 invisible), 14,781 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,969
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.