-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been looking at getting one of these but nowdays everything seems to be a scam so I'm reluctant without hearing from people that have actually used the device.

My current phone company charges $37 a month which isn't that bad but the kicker is the $.25 per minute long distance charges. I don't make that many long distance calls but it's still pretty high compared to what others tell me they're paying.

The Ooma device cost $110, hooks up to your internet, and has no monthly fee for local or long distance. 'Or so they say'.
If true it doesn't take a mathematics degree to figure out the device would be paid for after three months.

Anyway,,,,, if anyone has any actual experience with Ooma I'd appreciate hearing about it.
And please don't tell me about your cell provider. No cell coverage here and I wouldn't want a cell phone even if there was. I'm just trying to save a few bucks on a phone I only use a couple of times a month.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to be VOIP didnt have emergency (911) service, if thats a concern of yours.

Now I'm probably wrong as its 2015 and I'm sure there has be advances.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
No!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by FieldGrade; 09/11/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

cool, I stand corrected.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I looked at ooma about 18 months ago. We went with magicjac. I was impressed enough that after our first year, I signed up for a 5 year extension for $100.

Yes, it includes 911 service also.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I looked into and ended up getting BasicTalk as it was less expensive. BasicTalk was good as long as the internet was working. IIRC it was about $12 with taxes and that never changed. Yes, they have 911.

I actually just got off of it as we went with all cell phones for the numbers we have. I'd send the adapter/box to you if you cover the shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tdd4570
I looked at ooma about 18 months ago. We went with magicjac. I was impressed enough that after our first year, I signed up for a 5 year extension for $100.

Never heard of ooma until now, but I've had majicjac for 3 years and never a complaint. IIRC it cost about $75 for the equipment and $20 per year.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FG,

Do cell phones just not work out in your area? They are a bit marginal where I live, but we are ditching our land line of 25 years and going full cell usage.

I've wondered about the internet based phones, but cell phones get it done for me, even if I have to go upstairs and stand at my N.E. window in bad weather.

Edit; Just reread the OP and answered my own question...

Last edited by johnw; 09/11/15.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

There has been complaints about magicjac customer service, but our friends love theirs.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

There has been complaints about magicjac customer service, but our friends love theirs.

I had Magic Jack, nothing but problems. Terrible lag.

As for 911 Service, yes it's included with Ooma, it's pretty much the law any more.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Another option would be to keep your phone service and use a calling card for long distance. I think the one we have is about 2.4 cents/minute. You dial a 1-800 number and an access code and then the number you want to call. Easy and cheaper than what you have now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gregdoo
Another option would be to keep your phone service and use a calling card for long distance. I think the one we have is about 2.4 cents/minute. You dial a 1-800 number and an access code and then the number you want to call. Easy and cheaper than what you have now.
We did that for years. We programmed the 800 number & access codes into the quick dial so it only took 2 buttons plus the phone number to call. I now use a Tracfone cell phone for everything. I don't use it much. I bought 1200 minutes in April and I'm just now getting to where I need more. $99 for 5 months isn't bad.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've heard mixed reviews with the VOIP phones. I use straight talk home phone which uses Verizon's network and have been reasonably satisfied for $16.80 a month.

https://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/otherdevices/ShopHomePhones

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been using OOMA phone for about 6 or 8 months so far... it works just fine... and I've cut my monthly phone bill from $45 a month to just $3.89 a month.

With their primary system, you get no cost long distance anywhere in the USA, call waiting, caller I.D. and a few other features I don't use. I'm not sure if you can call Canada at no charge or not. I believe OOMA is expanding their "standard" services at this time, but I'm not sure of that.

I.E., having a full-service phone now costs me about the SAME for a whole YEAR (12 x $3.89 = $46.68) than I use to pay AT&T for one month ($45.00+ taxes) of AT&T's phone service.

OOMA uses the ether-net, the same thing as your computer uses to get on-line, so there is no additional phone lines to be installed. So if the ether-net goes "down", so does your phone service. If your electric power goes off... you also lose your phone just as you'd lose your computer's internet capability if your power went off.

Of course, losing your electrical power or having the net "go down" is rare, but it does happen... and you need to be aware that you also lose your phone if either event happens.

A friend of mine decided to get OOMA phone over 18 months ago, so I waited to see how it would work for him. He said he didn't have ANY problems... so I bought the system (OOMA's system requires the purchase of a router that ties your phone into the ether-net which cost me $125, but I believe OOMA is offering a "deal" now... but you will need to ask OOMA's customer service what kind of "deal" they may be offering now.

I've only had two (2) "problems" with the OOMA phone. In each case, the phone simply went "dead" and I could not call out or receive calls. This was probably several months ago.

Being on the net since 1997, I figured it might "fix" itself if I unhooked OOMA's "router" and re-hooked it back up... so I gave it a "try". It worked... got my OOMA phone system back. It only took about 2 minutes to eliminate the problem.... most of the time involved was the "wait-time" for the router to re-set itself. Again, it is "no biggie" !

The same thing happened a month or so ago... suddenly I couldn't receive or make calls... did the same thing again... and the problem "went away" again.

The only thing I can suggest might be happening is that the ether-net occasionally goes "down"... and this is what happens when it does. I.E., you must disconnect the power to the OOMA phone by removing the electrical plug in the rear of the OOMA router, wait a minute or two, then re-hook up the electrical power to the OOMA phone's router.

I figure that by unplugging the OOMA phone's power, the OOMA unit must "re-set" itself which it does automatically once electrical power is resumed. However, this "re-set" system takes a short time (a minute or so) to "re-set" itself when you initially install OOMA Phone.

Therefore, if you lose power, the OOMA phone must re-set itself again once power is restored... and this takes a minute or so. While the re-set is happening, the OOMA Phone's "router" will show different colors on the lighted emblem on the top of the OOMA "router". Once the emblem turns totally "blue", the unit's phone service is back and ready to be used again.

No "biggie" once you know what to do... merely pulled the electrical connector/plug out of the back of the OOMA "router", wait-a-minute... then plug it back "in". It's not rocket-science.

Would I buy OOMA phone again???

You bet... in a New York Minute !~!~!

Here's their phone number: OOMA- primary # 1-(866)-452-6662

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've used Ooma for a few years now, and love it (I am a cheapskate though). I have never had any issues making calls with it, and they record voice messages, which you can listen to from their website (handy when I'm at work).

To be fair, I use my cell phone for nearly 100% of my calls, and Ooma mostly to screen home phone calls. However, I do recommend it, and it is cheap.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have only had Ooma for a couple months, but it has been good so far.

Went in easy, and no issues.

My router was not near where my base phone needed to be, so I used their Link unit to connect it wirelessly. That worked good too. and saved me a lot of screwing around.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.