-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up playing with a long bow, but never really got into them as I got older. We used to see how far we could shoot them, but that was about it.

If a guy were to get started, where would he start? I don't want to spend a fortune in case I get bored with it, but what should I look to pick up?

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Are you wanting to get back into a long bow, or move on to modern equiomwnt?

If a longbow is in your future PSE makes some very budget friendly, quality bows

If a cokpound, well I'm a Hoyt fan and the new ignite package sells for less than 400 bucks and has an enormous range of draw adjustment and draw wright range

Mission archery, a division of Matthews has a similar entry

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Definitely leaning compound bow.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Then the best advice I can give you is go to your local pro shop and handle a bunch of bows from various makers in your budget range and buy the one that feels best to uou

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
+1 everything gitem said

A good local pro shop is a blessing for anyone getting started in the compound world.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Someone mentioned the Mission line of Matthews. I have the Mission Craze which is technically a youth bow. However, it adjusts from like 25 to 70 lbs draw weight. It is pretty inexpensive at about $270 I think. I bought it not knowing if I would like archery and wanted my son to be able to use it if I ever moved up in bow.

I've been happy with it, although I am admittedly a newb in the archery world. I got my first archery big game animal last month with it after 2 unsuccessful archery seasons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree with the advice to go to a pro shop, assuming that you have a pro shop in the area staffed by people passionate about archery more than about selling a bunch of high priced equipment. You can get fitted properly and learn what to look for in a bow and accessories within your budget range. The shop we have here in town is a true community resource.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unlike firearms, used bows have very poor resale, so if your archery shop takes trade-ins, try some of them. This years' hottest, gotta-have model for $1,000 will be a $300 bow in 2 years.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Definitely leaning compound bow.

No No, say it isn't true. Another one going over to the dark side. frown

Complicated machines, all those parts and "accessories" when it's so enjoyable to have a simple stick and string in one's hands cool

Well at least you're considering archery again, not all bad.

Good luck with your decision.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Biebs
Unlike firearms, used bows have very poor resale, so if your archery shop takes trade-ins, try some of them. This years' hottest, gotta-have model for $1,000 will be a $300 bow in 2 years.

True, but someone new to compounds is unlikely to get a used bow with a proper draw length and tuned to how he shoots the bow. A compound setup for someone else and/or with incorrectly spined arrows is a recipe for frustration.

Visit youre local bow shop(s), and have them show you various bows in your budget. A good bow shop will find a bow that works for you and set it up for you.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 2,058 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,748
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.