Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Rant on :

After about 1400 miles over the weekend , I must know, why do people want to camp in the fast lane on the interstate or almost as bad, go 2 mph faster than the car next to them
You do realize there is a gas pedal and the world will not come to an end if you push on it and get the hell out of my way. I don't care if you get out and crawl where you are going just get out of my way while doing it.

There has to be campfire members who do this. Just tell my why it is so plugging hard to drive in the right lane ? You aren't passing anybody. Why drive there ? I got to understand.

I especially like the ones don't get over for love nor money. They want to know why people get road rage ? Here you go.

Rant off:

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to speed of passing - there are those who feel that anyone who is passing a car at a speed lower than they wish to travel is in some way in the wrong. Just because they want to drive well above the speed limit does not mean that everyone needs to accomodate them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
these are the same folks that are often spotted driving with cruise control on. They will take half an hour to pass someone, since they are just going 1 mph faster. They will NOT speed up and pass, and once around, whip right in front of the person they passed, and slow the hell down.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I did about 1000 miles myself this weekend and only encountered it one time, in Houston.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It’s because everyone is special these days. It’s their birthright as one of the (majority) special people.

The last time I did LA to Phoenix on I10, traffic was much heavier than normal (I do that stretch maybe ten times a year, unfortunately). Literally 80% of the cars were in the left lane and not budging. I am not exaggerating in the least.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's bumpier in the right lane grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I did about 1000 miles myself this weekend and only encountered it one time, in Houston.

Your car and my car don't hold the same value I am thinking.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Rant on :

After about 1400 miles over the weekend , I must know, why do people want to camp in the fast lane on the interstate or almost as bad, go 2 mph faster than the car next to them
You do realize there is a gas pedal and the world will not come to an end if you push on it and get the hell out of my way. I don't care if you get out and crawl where you are going just get out of my way while doing it.

There has to be campfire members who do this. Just tell my why it is so plugging hard to drive in the right lane ? You aren't passing anybody. Why drive there ? I got to understand.

I especially like the ones don't get over for love nor money. They want to know why people get road rage ? Here you go.

Rant off:

I here you - just did 1500 miles over Labor Day. Montana and Idaho - no problem, but fuggin Washington... frown As has been said - locked on cruise control come hell or high water. I find the left lane is often a smoother ride due to less wear and tear from trucks, but I don't park it there - just pass already or get out the way.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
these are the same folks that are often spotted driving with cruise control on. They will take half an hour to pass someone, since they are just going 1 mph faster. They will NOT speed up and pass, and once around, whip right in front of the person they passed, and slow the hell down.

I normally drive in the far right lane on a freeway because I go the "speed limit" and no more... and "yes", I always use my cruise-control set at the posted speed limit unless traffic won't allow it.

However, if I must pass a slower vehicle in the far right lane, I pull out, accelerate and quickly pass the slower vehicle, then pull back into the far right lane and let my previously-set cruise-control take over again.

That said, I have also seen drivers like Sam (Mannlicher) mentioned... and I've never been able to figure out how anyone can be that much of a self-endulged road-hog... but then, "wonders" never seem to cease, do they?

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Driving in Ohio is a painful experience. They are famous for what I call the "buckeye block." Two or more cars across every lane without allowance for anyone to pass.

It would be much easier if they ran a recommended speed per lane such as 75, 70, 65 from passing to cruising lanes, respectively.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
try the Florida Turnpike, or I-75, I-95. They are packed with snowbirds making the run to south FL. Worst drivers in the universe

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"why do people want to camp in the fast lane on the interstate or almost as bad, go 2 mph faster than the car next to them "

Because in most states it is illegal to shoot them. Hell, it's not even legal to shoot out their tires. mad

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
try the Florida Turnpike, or I-75, I-95. They are packed with snowbirds making the run to south FL. Worst drivers in the universe

Nope..... The NASCAR fans with their RVs, durning race week, are the worst drivers in the universe.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4winds
Driving in Ohio is a painful experience. They are famous for what I call the "buckeye block." Two or more cars across every lane without allowance for anyone to pass.

Not sure I have ever +1ed a post on here in ten plus years but I might even say “Spot on!” to that. I thought only Pennsylvanians were tormented by the Flatlanders. laugh

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I set the cruise 6 MPH above the speed limit, I don't care if you wait behind me a few seconds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Your car and my car don't hold the same value I am thinking.

Good point. They tend to get out of the way of a beat up, old one ton. I let my daughter borrow it last week because her little car was in the shop and the first thing she told me was that people drove a "lot nicer" around her.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Aggravating. but not as bad as the "texters" wondering back and forth across both lanes.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As to speed of passing - there are those who feel that anyone who is passing a car at a speed lower than they wish to travel is in some way in the wrong. Just because they want to drive well above the speed limit does not mean that everyone needs to accomodate them.

What would be the advantage of being next to a tractor/ trailer for miles ? Personally I hate being between them and the guard rail. Kinda between a rock and a hard spot. No where to go. If there is no rush to get to the destination ( evidence by the speed of passing, why not just get out of the way ? Why hold up 1 or 10 cars ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use the passing lane for two purposes:
Passing.
and
Clearing the right lane on multiple-lane roads to allow other motorists to enter.

The cruise-controllers are worst in states where the highway patrol are ticket mongers. I don't know how many times I've seen people pass s l o w l y and then, as soon as they "clear", spray gravel all over the passee's windshield and then slow down.

Washington State drivers are idiots for that.

But the reason is obvious. I once got caught behind a suicide door Lincoln, the guy just wallowed and crept through the corners and then would hammer it on the straights.
Finally, I just drag raced the numbskull, and lo and behold, Smokey was down at the far end. EYE got pulled over.
I did some fast talking and weaseled out of the ticket.
"You were going 80 in a 60."
"No kidding, officer. That's what my speedometer read, the guy was drag racing me!"
"Why did you want to pass him?"
"Because he was going 40 in a 60, blowing oil smoke in my face the whole way! All the way from the Loop to here!"
"That far?"
"Yes, that far! Dragged me every passing zone! This one is the last long one before Startup, my last chance to get out of his stink. Geeze, what would you do?"
"Okay, you can go."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was thinking of the drivers who cannot be satisfied with whatever speed you are passing at. There are many times that I am passing at a reasonable rate, not just barely faster than the vehicle I am passing, and I still have someone riding my ass who is not satisfied with the speed with which I am passing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

299 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 25 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.