Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by logdog
More case capacity Is more velocity, plain and simple....The Elk wont no the difference at 600...

And the hunter won't either, except his shoulder. More case capacity is more recoil, plain and simple.

I drive to work every day in a Toyota truck. I could get a big Dodge diesel, and I'd have more horsepower, plain and simple.

I'd still get there the same time. But spend more on fuel.

I have a .300 Weatherby in my safe. It's very accurate. I don't shoot it as much as my other rifles though. There's a reason for that.
No body should ever consider a 30 mag of any flavor if they are recoil shy. If you want big boy performance your going to have to accept heavy recoil. It apparent you like the WSM but the Weatherby will kick the WSM's ass including in the recoil department. I know you are trying to justify your love of the WSM now, in terms of less recoil. But the op already has a 300 win mag so recoil is not a problem. If you going to shoot long range, the rifle is going to kick a little bit.

Recoil....really? Can you come up with anything better than recoil? Come on man.....magnums kick so maybe you'd be better off with a .243....

And by the way,my Dodge Cummins shat a Toyota truck this morning on my way 60 miles to work.

Last edited by logdog; 09/18/15.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LMAO, I don't own a 300 wsm and recoil doesn't bother me. Fact is, if you shoot more than a dozen or two rounds at a time you're best served by a non-magnum. Some need "big magnums" and big trucks to compensate. They're not needed to shoot stuff at 600. I was at a good LR shoot this spring, targets out to 1980. 30-some shooters and not a Weatherby mag in the bunch. Or a rookie.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Buy a 7mm rem mag.... grin wink

BSA and I agree on 97% of anything gun,people, Winchester ect. BUT make mine 300 Win Mag!!!!!! 190 gr SMK's .. very best WinPoor

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
LMAO, I don't own a 300 wsm and recoil doesn't bother me. Fact is, if you shoot more than a dozen or two rounds at a time you're best served by a non-magnum. Some need "big magnums" and big trucks to compensate. They're not needed to shoot stuff at 600. I was at a good LR shoot this spring, targets out to 1980. 30-some shooters and not a Weatherby mag in the bunch. Or a rookie.

Nah Smokepole, I'm not compensating I use my big truck for pulling a log trailer, and my Weatherby for the mile plate at the range. I thought we were talking about 30 magnums? Why are dancing around the first debate about the WSM being the same as the Weatherby? I dont get where you are going with compensation and non magnums it has nothing to do with the WSM and the Weatherby. You are off topic, what about the WSM and the Weatherbys performance. I want to see your theory on this. I want to see your facts smokepole.... Show me your ballistic comparison Mr. Toyota. Lets get back on topic there non magnum.....

Who cares what the guys were shooting last spring. I want the facts on our debate topic.......

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The topic is killing an elk at 600 yards. You've already acknowledged that the elk won't know the difference. So tell me again why the weatherby is "better."

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The topic is killing an elk at 600 yards. You've already acknowledged that the elk won't know the difference. So tell me again why the weatherby is "better."
Lets see... Heavier bullets at higher velocity, less drift and quicker time of flight. Please tell me why it isn't better. Please. Every thing the WSM can do the Weatherby can do better. There is not to many guys over on LRH carrying a WSM for long range elk. Its 300 Win Mag or bigger. There is a reason for this. And its time of flight and energy on target...

If your going to argue tho stuff you should do it with someone who doesn't study this. Every thing I do in long range shooting is for a reason. The 300 Weatherby is the best 30 cal cartridge in terms of barrel life to performance.

A broken shoulder at 600 yards is way better than one that is not. That's the difference in a marginal hit with a Weatherby and a WSM.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A marginal hit with a weatherby is still marginal. Funny that you want to dismiss the shooters at the long range shoot (icebreaker 5) I went to this spring, and then turn around and talk about "the guys at LRH." What is that, a website?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

If your going to argue tho stuff you should do it with someone who doesn't study this.

Yes, I should. Because "studying this" on paper will lead you to the conclusion that faster is slways better. Doing it will lead you to the conclusion that bullet placement is what matters, and in that regard less is often more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
A marginal hit with a weatherby is still marginal. Funny that you want to dismiss the shooters at the long range shoot (icebreaker 5) I went to this spring, and then turn around and talk about "the guys at LRH." What is that, a website?
A marginal shoulder shot with a Weatherby has a better chance of success that a WSM. And I wasn't dismissing those guys just sayin it doesn't matter what they were shooting at steel or targets at 1980. We where talking about which of these two cartridges are better. You should check out LRH its a great site. With alot of very experienced long range shooters. And they DON'T use marginal cartridges out of respect for the animal and the sport. Going to a shoot in the spring and participating in the shoot is different. And just because you may have shot some steel at long range one or two times doesn't mean you are a expert on long range hunting. The skill to make a cold bore, first one shot kill on a animal, while in the cold hiking up a mountain is a great achievement. Long range steel hunter huh? Well that's something. Get back to me when you take long range hunting seriously. Like maybe using the proper tools and acknowledge you have alot to learn in this game. I dont know why the facts are hard for you to understand. In long range hunting, velocity BC and mass is the game. Your ignorance in long range hunting makes me wonder why you are commenting in this sub forum.

Ok man you win. A slower Bullet is always better than a fast one. Thanks for enlightening me.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

If your going to argue tho stuff you should do it with someone who doesn't study this.

Yes, I should. Because "studying this" on paper will lead you to the conclusion that faster is slways better. Doing it will lead you to the conclusion that bullet placement is what matters, and in that regard less is often more.
What the hell are you talking about? Less is never more in longrange hunting never!!! I dont study on paper I study at the range with a chronograph and a kestrel. I figure out true BCs of bullets thru my rifle. With two chronographs. I actually do the work instead of googling info.

Less is more.hahaha you are not a long range hunter are you?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your problem is, you know so many things to be true that aren't.

You want to talk about "long range hunting" in general, and the 1-mile plate. The OP asked about shots up to 600 yards. You want to talk about "energy on target" being important but the fact is, "energy on target" doesn't kill animals, a hole in the vitals does. And if you need more "energy on target" than you can get with a .300 WSM at 600 yards, the problem is not with the headstamp.

It's funny that you bring up LRH. When I put together my first dedicated long-range rig, one of the moderators over there helped me spec it out. Ian McMurchy, you may heave heard of him. Great guy, very willing to share his knowledge and a salt of the earth type of guy, very accomplished but also modest. Acknowledged long-range expert and also did a lot with muzzleloaders. His book on muzzleloading: "Modern Muzzleloaders for Today's Whitetails" is still hands-down the best reference I ever read on the subject. Unfortunately he passed away in 2008. His contributions were noted on LRH:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ian-mcmurchy-has-passed-away-36907/

He also did a lot of culling for Sasketchewan fish and game. One thing I've noticed about guys who kill a lot of stuff for a living is, they don't get hung up on headstamps and tend to use "lesser" cartridges than most others. Wonder why that is?

I remember our discussions like they were yesterday. Ian offered to help me spec the rifle, which was generous and much appreciated. I was mentioning a long list of magnum cartridges including the WSM, and he said "why not the mighty .308?"

I didn't want a .308, I wanted something with more juice. But he convinced me otherwise, citing these advantages, which mostly boil down to putting more rounds downrange:

-Cheaper factory ammo and components, meaning I'd shoot more.
-Easier to reload for and find accuracy.
-Less recoil, meaning I'd shoot more often, and shoot more rounds when I did go to the range.
-Longer barrel life.

He didn't mention this, but since then I've also come to appreciate lighter-recoiling rounds because they're easier to stay in the scope and spot impacts.

So there you have it, those are the advantages of "lesser" cartridges.

You can talk all you want about heavy recoil being necessary, but it's not. Hell, if you want to you can always install a brake, but I choose not to. I'm going to the range tomorrow, I'll shoot somewhere between 100-200 rounds. I don't know anybody who looks forward to doing that with a .300 Wby, or who could avoid getting fatigued shooting 100+ big magnum rounds.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Your problem is, you know so many things to be true that aren't.

You want to talk about "long range hunting" in general, and the 1-mile plate. The OP asked about shots up to 600 yards. You want to talk about "energy on target" being important but the fact is, "energy on target" doesn't kill animals, a hole in the vitals does. And if you need more "energy on target" than you can get with a .300 WSM at 600 yards, the problem is not with the headstamp.

It's funny that you bring up LRH. When I put together my first dedicated long-range rig, one of the moderators over there helped me spec it out. Ian McMurchy, you may heave heard of him. Great guy, very willing to share his knowledge and a salt of the earth type of guy, very accomplished but also modest. Acknowledged long-range expert and also did a lot with muzzleloaders. His book on muzzleloading: "Modern Muzzleloaders for Today's Whitetails" is still hands-down the best reference I ever read on the subject. Unfortunately he passed away in 2008. His contributions were noted on LRH:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/ian-mcmurchy-has-passed-away-36907/

He also did a lot of culling for Sasketchewan fish and game. One thing I've noticed about guys who kill a lot of stuff for a living is, they don't get hung up on headstamps and tend to use "lesser" cartridges than most others. Wonder why that is?

I remember our discussions like they were yesterday. Ian offered to help me spec the rifle, which was generous and much appreciated. I was mentioning a long list of magnum cartridges including the WSM, and he said "why not the mighty .308?"

I didn't want a .308, I wanted something with more juice. But he convinced me otherwise, citing these advantages, which mostly boil down to putting more rounds downrange:

-Cheaper factory ammo and components, meaning I'd shoot more.
-Easier to reload for and find accuracy.
-Less recoil, meaning I'd shoot more often, and shoot more rounds when I did go to the range.
-Longer barrel life.

He didn't mention this, but since then I've also come to appreciate lighter-recoiling rounds because they're easier to stay in the scope and spot impacts.

So there you have it, those are the advantages of "lesser" cartridges.

You can talk all you want about heavy recoil being necessary, but it's not. Hell, if you want to you can always install a brake, but I choose not to. I'm going to the range tomorrow, I'll shoot somewhere between 100-200 rounds. I don't know anybody who looks forward to doing that with a .300 Wby, or who could avoid getting fatigued shooting 100+ big magnum rounds.
Yea Ian is sorely missed. And By the way, my 300 Weatherby kicks less than my .243. But we were on a discussion about which is better. You have not proven anything to me. So where do we go from here? Do you want to keep puking BS about less is better to someone who knows better or do you want to try your BS on a rookie that has no clue about Lon range hunting. Recoil is not a problem any more so what else can we blame. Maybe expense, well any body that's serious about long range reloads. So that's out.... I never have got fatigued shooting any of my magnum rifles. I have brakes on all of them. Why? because I'm not stupid!!!!! You may as well move on, because I think you are full of crap. And using a .308 for long range hunting proves that.....

Why would you not want to put a brake on a magnum? Noise?

And I never said heavy recoil was necessary. You seemed to think a big magnum means heavy recoil.....wrong.....

You keep saying "600" yards, but if the WSM does it well wouldn't the Weatherby do it better?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No. And I didn't specify 600 yards, Jon did. The guy who asked the question.

Other than that GFY.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
No. And I didn't specify 600 yards, Jon did. The guy who asked the question.

Other than that GFY.
Will do 😊.....thanks.

Keep on puking keyboard cowboy.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
I see zero reason to go wby mag over win in your scenario.

Besides the uber cool Bee factor? grin

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Jon even if you own both, not saying that's wrong, you're gonna have a favorite that gets used more, their both Awesome rounds with much history to back them both ,yes muzzle breaks work great and lesson felt recoil but are very loud. They do take getting used to,and demand great hearing protection. TC does not chamber Any WSM round period, if you can shoot any other 300 Bee try it out then compare it to your 300 Win-Mag , by the way i own both ,but still one gets shot more then the other , just works out that way ,are they fun yes but just saying , can one match the other ,yes but it would have to be Custom built , regards n good shooting Jeff p

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Had several of both;hand loaded and killed elk with both,and out to about 500 yards. They both flatten elk with good shot placement.Those times I had to stretch to 500 I used 180 gr bullets.

With factory and max hand loads the Weatherby is the faster of the two and this shows more with heavier bullets. Heaviest I've loaded with either one is 200 gr.

All of my rifles have been standard sporter weight with 24-26" barrels and weighing 8-9 pounds.If there is a "secret" to shooting such rifles well when chambered for heavy recoiling cartridges, IME it's to shoot a lot in small doses. Neither the 300 Win nor the 300 Weatherby are cartridges for one session volume shooting.Your body will tell you when it's time to quit smile

That said both are what I'd call "manageable" if intelligently approached, but there is not a vast universe of difference, on game, between them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Logdog, you're so FOS your eyes are brown. First you say heavy recoil is part of long range shooting, then you maintain you never said it:

If you want big boy performance your going to have to accept heavy recoil.

Recoil....really? Can you come up with anything better than recoil? Come on man.....magnums kick so maybe you'd be better off with a .243....

And I never said heavy recoil was necessary.

First you say a guy who can't handle heavy recoil is better off with a .243, then you say your magnum is braked and kicks less than your .243. So, you can't handle recoil?:

And By the way, my 300 Weatherby kicks less than my .243..... I never have got fatigued shooting any of my magnum rifles. I have brakes on all of them.

Why would you not want to put a brake on a magnum? Noise?

First you say, "it's not about shooting steel at the range, it's about carrying your rifle up the mountain and making that first cold bore shot," then you have to ask why someone would not put brakes on their rifles.

Apparently you don't know the answer, so I'll spell it our for you. All my rifles are hunting rifles, and when I'm carrying them up the mountain I don't need the extra weight or a rifle that's unbalanced for shooting from field positions other than off a rest.

If there are any more questions you're having a hard time with, just ask.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (AlanF, anothergun, 44mc, 7887mm08, Amos63, 7 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,701
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.