Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
They are going off here in SW MT big time now. Laying in bed at night listening to the orchestra.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Home from Enrique's elk hunt for a Dr. Appt. I managed to get a humdinger of an ear infection during the week. Headed back tomorrow with a supply of augmentin. Bulls were talking until 7:30-8 am and a little just before dark. Lots of big bulls with no cows. The bulls with cows were mostly the 340-350 class bulls. Saw on 390 with cows opening morning. The small bulls are being almost completely silent. Hopefully it will pick up.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Finally getting fired up in the snowies. Not a lot, but getting there. Called in a herd bull and his harem tonight, but my buddy wasn't able to get a clear shot through the brush. Great time nonetheless. Next week should be roaring.

RLTW
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Still not rutting but some talk early and late.

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Up around 10k right now north of I-70, not a single bugle all night or morning. Talked to some guys who come here every year and they say it's very unusual.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
First rifle could be epic!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe not... realized what was going on at this place, is the exact same thing as the other spot I tried. One of two things:

They're either on private land down low

or

Because it is so hot out (drove through a 9000' town that had tourists wearing shorts still) the rest are way up at the top.

Came across a guy who had been camped out about six miles in and he had to go another four miles to find the elk at 11,000 feet. Got into a good herd, about 100 he claimed, and even had a cow broadside at 30 yards. But the reason he didn't let it go is the reason I didn't go that far back - once you get it you have to get it all the way out.

If we don't get some cold temps and snow they might stay way up there through some of the rifle seasons. And he did say up there they were bugling.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Found bugling @ 9000' the last couple days.

RLTW
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I just got off the mountain (public ground) in Colorado. We were up for 10 days. Friday was windy so bugling was limited to early, and saturday was perfect weather and heavy frost but not a bugle. That being said those are the only two days that we didn't engage bulls. I called in 6 bulls over my stay but we didn't seal the deal, everyone had a shot (or two unfortunately).
Now that I've said that I think it's just pre-rut activity. I did have a few single cows come in to the bugle and one with a bull in tow. Guys going into camp now should time it perfect.

West Kentucky Boy
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Last Thurs-Sat was pretty good for bugling. Last 3-4 days here were pretty dismal. Home now, tough hunt for Enrique. My hunter ended up at Urgent care with a respiratory infection and is done for the season. I'll go Thursday and see how the elk are doing during the rifle hunt

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No bull for enrique Dennis?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Bulls vocal every morning from stands. We only have archery cow tags.

Seeing g bulls daily too bad no bull tag. Arrrggghhhhh

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Huntr

I sure hope so. We will head that way on the 5th.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I sure hope so. We will head that way on the 5th.

Us too.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Hope yall have a good hunt. We will be down toward pagosa spring way. I just hope to get a shot at a cow. A bull would be great but after shooting and eating last years cow I'm fine with that again.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by GregW
No bull for enrique Dennis?

I was a chitty caller, this is the first time I didn't call a bull in to shooting range ever. The rut just never happened yet, there were bugles as bulls established a pecking order but the 340 bulls still were cowed up and big boys weren't kicking them out.

Saturday morning Enrique, Kyle and I had a bull with cows in a saddle, 50 yds on the other side of a thicket, that bull was hung up but there was two bulls coming up from each side and I thought one would come all the way in. I was 100 yards back, Kyle was behind Enrique and that cowed bull was just under bugling, all of us calling. Both those bulls hung up under and finally wandered away uninterested... frustrating.

Saturday evening we had a bull and cow at a water hole we snuck in on to 100 yards but with three of us they heard us and walked off.

Sunday morning, Enrique's last morning, him and I went back to that water hole, he sat while I looped down into the beds and wallows. It was dead silent. Naturally sneaking through the bottom I find the herd, could have killed the bull multiple times, and when they finally work towards Enrique the wind changes so they smell him and go to the next draw.

There's bugling and then there's 'we're F'n' bugling that horns up all the bulls, I can tell the difference and they never were F'n. The big boys can hear the difference and come in and kick ass. It didn't happen yet, what a great year for moisture and antlers but a crappy year for hot weather and rutting during the archery season.

Here's that bull yesterday morning, I had him at 36 yards broadside multiple times as he went back and forth sniffing his cows, when he went out of my sight I got my my point and shoot and videoed him walking by me at 10 yards.

It was a tough year and we had not one lucky mistake by a bull... PHUUCK!!!!

[video:google]http://s289.photobucket.com/user/kentpowellp/media/videos/MVI_0827_zpsscisk0w7.mp4.html[/video]

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Holy [bleep], Kent.

How do you keep calm when one walks by like that?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wow! Kent!!!! Heck of a story!

Spoke with my aunt by email. She said very little activity at the ranch. Said she's seen a few animals but very few. Ranch at approx 7500'. Or so. Said they had a snow other night up high but it didn't last long.

I'm kinda hoping for an epic second rifle like we had in 2010 up there! smile

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RWE
Holy [bleep], Kent.

How do you keep calm when one walks by like that?

31 years ago, my first ever elk hunt, solo, total rook for both elk and archery, I had that same scenario. When the bull finally stopped running around sniffing cow trail I pulled back and shot thinking shoot, shoot, shoot... 2 ft over it's back.

I'm much calmer now.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Wow! Kent!!!! Heck of a story!

Spoke with my aunt by email. She said very little activity at the ranch. Said she's seen a few animals but very few. Ranch at approx 7500'. Or so. Said they had a snow other night up high but it didn't last long.

I'm kinda hoping for an epic second rifle like we had in 2010 up there! smile

We were at that same elevation, very hot and going to be a late rut.

Kent

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

483 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,149
Posts18,502,810
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.