-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes Jordan, your a stud, we understand that.

The average post on these forums is a guy looking to cut 4 oz by going with an aftermarket floor plate, fluting the barrel and skeletonizing the bolt.

The average 85mm scope and quality tripod(if used) can add total weights equal to or above the weight of the rifle your carrying, when it comes right down to it, the average person is not going to carry two rifles.

For the dedicated athletic Mountain Hunter wearing a backpack, feel free to go 85, but if your purpose is to buy 'lifetime" glass, just make sure your priorities are the same 5-10 years down the road.

YMMV.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My swaro weighs 47 oz, the 85 razor lists at 65+, so a little over a pound, plus additional length and girth. It all adds up,

enough to stop a hunt? hell no, but when it's time to minimize, I know the first thing the average guy will leave behind.

Again, YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Yes Jordan, your a stud, we understand that.

The average post on these forums is a guy looking to cut 4 oz by going with an aftermarket floor plate, fluting the barrel and skeletonizing the bolt.

The average 85mm scope and quality tripod(if used) can add total weights equal to or above the weight of the rifle your carrying, when it comes right down to it, the average person is not going to carry two rifles.

For the dedicated athletic Mountain Hunter wearing a backpack, feel free to go 85, but if your purpose is to buy 'lifetime" glass, just make sure your priorities are the same 5-10 years down the road.

YMMV.

LOL. If I'm on a hunt where a spotter is a major asset, I'd rather cut that pound somewhere else than in the glass I'm packing...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've not owned a Razor HD, but I've spent a little time behind one. It was nice, but I sure wouldn't pay full retail for one. At the end of the day, it's still a Vortex.

Do you own a Swaro spotter?

Dink

Prairie goat?

Dink

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never really had a problem with 60-65 mm objectives; it seemed like a good compromise of optical quality to weight/bulk. That being said, I could certainly see how the guy looking to eke out every advantage would go with an 80mm. Especially someone who may, for example, guide hunters and need to make a good estimate on whether the ram 3/4 of a mile away will go 180 or just 175, as the client may not be interested in him if he's smaller.

It doesn't take but a time or two of having to traverse a bunch of extra terrain and waste a bunch of time, just to have someone turn down an animal that was "close but not quite what I'm looking for".......to go with the equipment that may save all that hassle.

The question is, whether that added weight, bulk, and expense will save any of these scenarios from happening, or whether this is something that's even an issue for your individual hunting. I think that's something for each of us to answer for ourselves, hopefully after trying them out in the field. One way a guy could try some different spotters out is with a rental service. I've not done it myself, but it seems like a good way to test some different products without dropping too much money. I'm fortunate in that I get to try out a decent number of optics brought by clients. Not many bring spotting scopes, but I've had the opportunity to field test a few high end (and some not so high end) spotters this way.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My swaro weighs 47 oz, the 85 razor lists at 65+, so a little over a pound, plus additional length and girth. It all adds up,

enough to stop a hunt? hell no, but when it's time to minimize, I know the first thing the average guy will leave behind.

Again, YMMV.

I think one area that is often overlooked for weight savings is the pack used. Many are boat anchors. For example, a friend uses a Horn Hunter pack which weighs 8 lbs, empty. My Kifaru is 5 lbs, with 7000 in^3.

Other than the cost, I'd rather carry the 80-85mm in a Kifaru than a 60-65mm in an average pack... and still be lighter. I guess its just different ways to skin the cat, but I wouldn't be surprised that many who complain about rifle and spotter weights are using packs that weight 8-9 lbs empty. Not saying this is you, but I know its overlooked by some.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just hunt with Jordan and leave your spotter in the truck.

Then carry a flask of bourbon....

I carry, and really like, my Leupy 12-40x60GR

YMMV.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've not owned a Razor HD, but I've spent a little time behind one. It was nice, but I sure wouldn't pay full retail for one. At the end of the day, it's still a Vortex.

Dink

Prairie goat?

Dink

Maybe that is a unfair question.

Prairie Goat what 60-65mm spotter do you personally own?

Dink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Again, YMMV.

I think one area that is often overlooked for weight savings is the pack used. Many are boat anchors. For example, a friend uses a Horn Hunter pack which weighs 8 lbs, empty. My Kifaru is 5 lbs, with 7000 in^3.

Other than the cost, I'd rather carry the 80-85mm in a Kifaru than a 60-65mm in an average pack... and still be lighter. I guess its just different ways to skin the cat, but I wouldn't be surprised that many who complain about rifle and spotter weights are using packs that weight 8-9 lbs empty. Not saying this is you, but I know its overlooked by some.

Good point. I'm carrying a 4.5lbs Paradox pack, so that helps.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Dink

Prairie goat?

Dink

Maybe that is a unfair question.

Prairie Goat what 60-65mm spotter do you personally own?

Dink

Ok, maybe that was a unfair question too.

Prairie Goat do you even own a spotting scope?

Dink

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Haha, just toggled you off of ignore, figuring you might have something to add to the conversation. As usual, that is not the case.

Hell, I ain't never owned no spotting scope. Just crank ma' 6-24x50 Tasco rifle scope up to max power for spotting duties. whistle

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
There is a lot of truth in that post.

It's a simple question.

What spotter did you actually buy?

No one is interested in what your clients bring for you to use.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Actually, no one is interested in your inane questions, or answering them....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and that's just some more 'truth'.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
www.betterviewdesired.com
www.cameralandny.com
Spend a whole evening in the first website, then call the second and listen to the salesperson's comments/recommendations.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It is a very personal question. I guess there is no one size that fits all. I always take my 20-60x82 ZEN ED2 spotter with me for most of the hunting trips

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Actually, no one is interested in your inane questions, or answering them....

Oh he wants to answer but he can't. Old Goat is just a regurgitator. He has very little experience with quality optics or firearms but he sure likes to post about them.

Like I said it was a simple question.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 09/20/15.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and like I said.....

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
65 vs 85mm? Everyone's stitiation is different. Would I hike around with a tripod and a spotter-no. Too much weight for me. I carry a good pair of binoculars which I use a lot and leave the spotter in the truck. If you must have a spotter besides optics and price differences, there are weight differences between makes.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,695 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,818
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.