-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Okay, give me some ideas. Flinch and I have worked out a deal on a Stainless 700 SUCKS action (Pending my darn FFL holder cooperation). The rifle is going to become a .257 Weatherby, whose almost exclusive purpose will be for my 10 year old son's antelope rifle. I currently have a .25-.284 in the works for my "light" rifle, wanted ideas for the boy's "goat gun".
<br>
<br>Pac-nor, McMillan and Leupold must be a part of the project. Since Dad will be his "pack animal", weight is not a huge factor. I'm thinking a SS Match grade barrel, 26" #3 contour, 4-12X scope, but I need some help on stock style and a good bipod.
<br>
<br>Dad may also borrow it occassionaly to call coyotes, so I am going to use a standard LOP.
<br>
<br>Thanks,
<br>
<br>2nd

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I really like the HGT stock for both prone and other hunting uses. It is easy to pack and live with. The US Marines have used it for many years as the stock on their sniper rifles. While they have recently gone to other designs, many still prefer it over the new stock (A2 ?).
<br> I'm not a bipod man, but the Harris units are it as far as I'm concerned. Another good "bipod" is a tripod, made from 18-24 inch, 1/2 inch oak dowels. It's much easier to pack, and is very flexable. Again, the USMC has used this system for many years with their sniper rifles.
<br> I don't know which Leo you are considering, but I urge you to consider one of their products with their MC4 coatings, like a VariXIII. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 11/04/02.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had him sitting off of shooting sticks for the past few years, so I may just stick with those. I like the idea of the flat forends, especially shooting prone from a pack. The little guy has been hunting for the past three seasons, starting with a .243 and moving up to a 7mm-.08 this past year. I figure if I keep the weight up, the recoil on the .257 shouldn't bother him a lick. He has taken far more animals at this stage in his life than I have, and he is a heck of a good kid. I really enjoy hunting with him and feel that he is ready to move up to a specialized rifle.
<br>(Not only that, Dad is afraid if I loan him the .25-.284 I would never get it back!!)
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2nd, your thoughts echo mine. I REALLY like the HTG pattern with a close second being the A2 for prone or bench shooting. I love your thoughts of the 26" #3. I would even opt for a 27 inch in the .257 Weatherby. I wouldn't go any lighter than a #2 in that length, #3 being about optimum. I sure love my .25-284 with the #3 26 inch barrel and have whacked a ton of stuff with it. You are MORE than welcome to shoot mine any time. I could even send it home with you if you want to take it for a week or two and get a feel for it, if you are ever down here. Mine has the HS varmint stock on it. It is the same one that Remington puts on their varmint rifles and Senderos. The 4x12x is a good one. I like a tricked out 3x9 personally. I sent mine in and had Leupold put elevation and windage target turrets on it as well as a fine cross hair. I LOVE it! No focus or anything, just dial in the range and kill it. I have the 36 inch Harris bipods on it. They are too tall in their lowest setting to use prone, unless you can sink them into the dirt, or are shooting down hill. They are great for sitting though. I use crossed dowels more than anything. They make great walking sticks as well, if you get the 4 foot length. Give me a call, come shoot this .25-284. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr><p>You are MORE than welcome to shoot mine any time. [\quote]
<br>
<br>When and where???;)

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The McMillan HTG stock is an excellent choice. I have one on my 338 Ultra and it fits me perfectly. Stick a Pac-Nor Super match S/S Tube on it with a Leupold VariX-III 4.5x14x40 in DD mounts and you'll be set. I use a Harris swivel bipod and like it very much but it is a tad heavy. Sounds like a great rifle for most any animal you'll likely hunt.

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trust you have your boy protect his ears with that blammer.
<br>
<br>miki

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
2nd,
<br> Since you mention weight is not a huge factor, I would opt for a #4 contour barrel. At 26" length, it will offer more stiffness and not heat up as quickly. Remember excessive barrel heat is the enemy especially with rounds such as the screaming 257 Weatherby. Keep us posted on your project, sounds like a winner. MtnHtr

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Miki,
<br>
<br>Safety is a primary issue always. Heck, the .257 is a pussycat out here in the west.
<br>
<br>2nd

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. I second that #4 notion, although I went with a 25". I'm getting close to 3700 fps with 100-grain XLC's, and that's velocity to spare!!!
<br>
<br>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pointer, you tell me when and I will be there, or I can send it home with you for play time. You are more than welcome to barrow it on one condition, I get it BACK (grin). Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In a #3 contour,the McMillan Remington Classic pattern is my absolute favorite. Once you get into a #5-ish+ contour,then you become more specialized and that is HTG/A2/A3/etc.,country(my opinion). Though I have McMillan Classics wearing a #5 (three of 'em I think)and I still really like them. But,when going to that contour,I opt the heavy fill option,to add more weight to promote better balance. Balance is more important to me than weight and perfection is both attributes working in harmony. It is impossible to convey that in the written word,as "feel" is impossible to describe accurately and is somewhat subjective to boot.
<br>
<br>My #5 fluted,26" barreled 300Super rides in an Urban Camo Classic and it is superbly balanced and easy to shoot from the hind legs or with any type of field rest. It just might be my favorite Meat and Taters rifle,come crunch time. It delivers the goods and is very soft shooting to boot,yet remains very portable. Great rifle.
<br>
<br>A #3 contoured 257Wby,wrapped in a Classic,is my idea of perfection. That is an exceptional blueprint in my opinion and will cover much territory with aplomb.
<br>
<br>The HTG is a more robust stock,as it was conceived with the utmost in durability as a focal point(Marine Sniper Rifle stock). So of course it isn't nearly as svelte,as all proportions are of increased size. I'd be much suprised if it's ergonomics fit your young son,even remotely.
<br>
<br>I really like the HTG,but not in that application............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick- Do you ever use the tactical stocks for hunting rifles?? What's your opinion of them for hunting situations, ie off the hind legs, improvised rests, etc.?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my opinion,the HTG is the most well rounded of the "Tactical" offerings.
<br>
<br>It melds what most would term as "normal" stock styling,with incredible strength and keeps it in a pretty friendly platform. It'll take a 1.350" diameter barrel on a 700,so it should scratch most any itch you could conjure up.
<br>
<br>The A-series are more specialized in my opinion and due to that,they trade some "friendliness". They are my ABSOLUTE favorite platform for launching pokes from a field rest,especially when dogged in prone. They are without peer in that regard,in my opinion. Man,I LOVE those patterns!
<br>
<br>They too,will take a 1.350" tube on a 700,should one be so inclined(I have one with that straight "contour"). If I was wanting a rifle to cover everything but offhand pokes,the A2 would(is) my first choice. It can be shot offhand,but my A2's have a lot of barrel in them and that negates their offhand effectiveness,in my application. Should I wish the rifle to remain more flexible and hell for stout,the HTG gets the nod.
<br>
<br>BUT for doing it all,the Classis is King in my opinion. You can build an incredibly accurate rifle of modest weight,that remains extremely versatile and tuck it into that pattern.
<br>
<br>It is a fabulous stock design and tough to beat for versatility(again,my opinion)......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built my 257 Wby as a heavy "Tactical Type" Greenfield rifle. It is far too heavy to lug around for days on end but is perfect for long range stand hunting. It has a 30" #6 contour S/S match Douglas Barrel in a McMillan A2 stock. It feels good to me offhand but really shines off a bipod or bags. I put a Luppie Tactical 4.5x14x40 scope on it with target turrets and Mil-Dot Reticle. It is not an all around rifle by any means but is a specialized rig.
<br>
<br>A lighter approach would be much better for general purposes. Good luck...

James

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men. Mt 15:9
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Another McMillan option is the Remington BDL. It weighs a little less than the HTG but still works well prone, bench or off-hand. It has a nice flat bottom forearm which lends itself well to a bipod. Unlike the the HTG, it does have a cheekpiece(which you may or may not prefer) McMillan has alot of choices for the 700. Here's a McMillan Rem BDL on my 243AI(#4 contour):
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>MtnHtr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunter,
<br>
<br>I REALLY like that rifle! Thanks for flipping a picture out there,for all to gawk at.
<br>
<br>When doing the McMillan Thing,it is a double edged sword. They have so many options available,especially for Remingtons,that it is very difficult to just pick one out of their lineup if you aren't privvy to all of them.
<br>
<br>Many of their patterns mimic the lines of Factory handles,so that is known territory and may help some to make a decision,based upon that criteria. That's exactly why my first was in the Classic pattern.
<br>
<br>Coloration is another tough call for many,again due to the myriad of available offerings. Then there is fill weight,LOP,recoil pad material/type,swivel type and arrangement,etc,etc.
<br>
<br>I keep trying subtle deviations of designs that I like most and don't know if I've hit "perfection" yet,though I've come pretty damn close. But of course,that gives me leeway to try again(grin).......................

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's a right handsome rifle MtnHtr. Your marble pattern choice is a real looker. What did you ask for to get that result? I'm guessin its a grey/black/white combo with heavy on the grey, but how do you specify the proportions of each color that you want, when you order it up?
<br>
<br>MM
<br>
<br>

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Stick,
<br> I agree with you wholeheartedly! I'll keep posting pics of my McMillans as each project comes together. That away this sickness won't go away for a long time![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>MM,
<br> This stock was ordered as follows:
<br>Rem BDL, CDI, ADL repeater configuration(blind mag)
<br>Molded Gel Coat - 50% Dark Grey,25% tan, 25% black.
<br>Weatherby glass in forearm & action. When I bang some more dogs this season I'll post some more pics. I've got some 85gr XLCs on order, will try these out on some hogs if I can get em to shoot. MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a very classy looking rifle! You did good...

James

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (300_savage, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 2ndwind, 25 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,535
Posts18,531,047
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.