Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Obama, Bloomberg, Hillary Clinton do not want you to hunt with an AR15. If you do you're under minding there argument that no one hunts with an AR-15 and therefore they have no civilian purpose. We should not embarrass dear leader by hunting with AR-15's. Its not obedient as his subjects to do so. I plead with you to obey dear leader and never hunt with an AR-15. Use a shot gun as Vice president Biden said to do or even a bolt action rifle but never hunt with an auto loading rifle. "Military style" rifles have no place in the woods because dear leader says so and that's all that matters. Just shut up and do as your told!!

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eric308
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

And ... here we go...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
4ager - pass the popcorn please.. wink

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Seriously out of touch with the reality of what a AR is capable of.

We had a young bull elk get caught up in barbwire and break his leg awhile back so we called Fish&Game.
Game Warden showed up few hours later and followed the elk that had slowly moved into deeper cover then shot it in the head with a open sighted AR .223.

When asked he told us he had dispatched several with that same rifle...

Would I go afield hunting elk with a AR?
No, but that doesn't mean they can't get er done in capable hands.

IC B2

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

I agree with you they don't belong in the woods as dear leader tells us. Look this pathetic AR-15 (7mm Valkyrie AR) I built pushing a 140gr Nosler BT at 2720fps you could barely take a jack rabbit with that wink

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/21/15.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Why would a game warden carry an AR in.223? Of all of the things I can think of that a game warden might need to do, that just would not be my firearm of choice. Truth is, I don't know why the police would have one. Great prairie dog rifle though.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is going to get good.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The AR makes a great hunting platform

It's an incredibly versatile weapon

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Why would a game warden carry an AR in.223? Of all of the things I can think of that a game warden might need to do, that just would not be my firearm of choice. Truth is, I don't know why the police would have one. Great prairie dog rifle though.

I'm guessing the GW was issued an AR as much about possible biped issues as actual game control.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
IC B3

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I should also add we should never call them Modern Sporting Rifles that upsets dear leader we should call them "Assault Rifles".

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jimdgc

I knew a guy at one time that had a buffalo ranch. He popped them in the ear to put them down, similar to a .22magnum being used to put down steers at the slaughterhouse.
While it isn't something i would particularly use, did see a guy in my hunting party pop a mule deer last year with one. Ran for about a quarter mile before it bled out.
But if you looked at the well equipped game and fish truck where i like to go to play, you would find a police shotgun, and a.r., and probably a bolt rifle. Game and fish can enforce more laws in arizona than basically any other law enforcement agency.
Gees working smoki bear detail i used to carry one 30 years ago.
I had a real good friend of mine retire off the maricopa s.o. a few years ago. H carried in the trunk a .375H&H with solids in it for those late night visits in south east phoenix, where you found homes built out of railroad ties.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/21/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MSRHunt
Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Obama, Bloomberg, Hillary Clinton do not want you to hunt with an AR15. If you do you're under minding there argument that no one hunts with an AR-15 and therefore they have no civilian purpose. We should not embarrass dear leader by hunting with AR-15's. Its not obedient as his subjects to do so. I plead with you to obey dear leader and never hunt with an AR-15. Use a shot gun as Vice president Biden said to do or even a bolt action rifle but never hunt with an auto loading rifle. "Military style" rifles have no place in the woods because dear leader says so and that's all that matters. Just shut up and do as your told!!

An is about the last rifle I would ever hunt with, but only because I find them "uncomfortable" to carry, compared to everything else. But, hey...some people think they're cool and more power to them.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use several of mine in both 223 and 308 and have no complaints. The 308 rifles are not too awkward and the 223 rifles have been used for one-shot kills several times. I usually use a bolt action for most of my deer hunting but have no problem with the evil black rifles in the field when hunting deer.

I have a friend who has used an AK or SKS for years when running deer with dogs. He does not let many go past him.

Those commies mentioned can go sit on snakes. I am afraid the poor snakes would have a hard time getting the bad taste out of their mouths.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Ok back to reality. I find it curious that some people jumped immediately to discuss 223 the AR15 does not imply 223 it could or could not be. A Remington 700 may or may not be a 308. The platform is not the caliber. It just sets the dimensions that the cartridge has to conform to in order use the platform.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as the cartridge & bullet is appropriate for the game at hand, they work fine.

My only gripe about them is, if you prefer to hunt with a cold chamber, it is hard to charge one quietly. So a bolt or a single shot is little more practical in those cases.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Popular hunting cartridges for the AR-15 are

6.5 Grendel
6.8SPC
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
25-45 Sharps
30 Remington AR
50 Beowulf

Up and Coming cats
257 Bobcat
7mm Valkyrie AR
270AR

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
As long as the cartridge & bullet is appropriate for the game at hand, they work fine.

My only gripe about them is, if you prefer to hunt with a cold chamber, it is hard to charge one quietly. So a bolt or a single shot is little more practical in those cases.

Use the forward assist to seat the bolt quietly or use a side charger.

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/21/15.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
This sounds like some of my relatives - wife's sister and her husband got rather agitated when I told them you can hunt in Montana with an AR15. That was in reply to them going off on how there is no sporting use for such a nasty "assault weapon". They proceeded to argue until they were blue in the face that you absolutely cannot hunt here with one. Their ignorance (stupidity) knows no bounds - I shot a deer with one that year just because...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MSRHunt
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Use the forward assist to seat the bolt quietly or use a side charger.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.

"Click" said said the gun, when I pulled the trigger on a doe, after easing a round into the chamber, and pushing on the FA. The bolt didn't quite go into battery, and it didn't fire. smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1minute, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338reddog, 264magnum, 62 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,541
Posts18,491,511
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.