Up and Coming cats
257 Bobcat
7mm Valkyrie AR
270AR

You forgot,
7.62 x 39
WSSM
300 Blackout

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I noticed on the few TV shows I have watched in the last decade that some of those folks in those Alaskan "reality" shows use AR's for their everyday hunting that puts meat on their tables. It seems to work for them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Game wardens here carry 10-22's...does that mean they are big game rifles too?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not much I couldn't kill with a 5.56! Very versatile.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
It was raining. No point letting rain in the barrel smile

You sure you weren't using the blue tape around the flash hider for a suppressor? Looks kind of iffy to me! grin

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well the CT Game Wardens carry AR-15's and they dispatch a lot of deer with them too, and they also have those dastardly 30 rd magazines too! For deer hunting with good ammo, and decent marksmanship they will do ok for that purpose- but hunting has nothing to do with the Second Amendment !

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never owned an AR, will take this under advisement.

Have killed most everything from midgets to buff with a M16. Do that count?

Only if you had the proper cites permits for the midgets

Them little phuocs were shootin' at me. Screw permits I say.

I don't understand the comments about difficult or awkward to carry. The -16 has a damn carry handle. How simple is that, hey?

No batteries required! 8 pounds of F.U. loaded.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DigitalDan; 09/21/15.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimdgc
Why would a game warden carry an AR in.223? Of all of the things I can think of that a game warden might need to do, that just would not be my firearm of choice. Truth is, I don't know why the police would have one. Great prairie dog rifle though.
Hmmmm.....let's see.....virtually every person they encounter is armed, at least with a knife. Excellent rate of fire, quickly and easily reloaded, proven to be a capable man stopper........nah, why would anyone want one of these?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
458 socom velo bullet
Hodgdon Lil'Gun 32.61 85.00 1815 325 g ftx

have killed many critters with the same bullet at slower speed from a 45-70.
and my ar15 458 socom is more accurate than my marlin 1895's

this year am going to hunt critters with the ar. 4 legged that is.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a fan of "Homeland Defense Rifles". I guess you could call me a FUD, cause all mine got wood stocks and blued steel. Never was a fan of the .223 for anything bigger than varmints either. Yes, I know they'll kill bigger stuff, but face it, a lot of these "Cornfield Comandos" aren't as good as they think they are. MFR, Modern Fantasy Rifle. I like it.

BUT, if these black rifles with no sporting purpose bring in more shooters into the sport, regardless of whether they hunt or not, that's a win for us. More shooters equals more second amendment supporters.

Besides, the 2nd Amendment ain't about your 700 Remington or my 77 Ruger. It's about military style rifles and home/self defense.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by MSRHunt
Popular hunting cartridges for the AR-15 are

6.5 Grendel
6.8SPC
450 Bushmaster
458 SOCOM
25-45 Sharps
30 Remington AR
50 Beowulf

Up and Coming cats
257 Bobcat
7mm Valkyrie AR
270AR

You forgot,
7.62 x 39
WSSM
300 Blackout

I'm a admin at a site linked in my signature line for hunting with AR15's and also the Facebook Group Hunting with Modern Sporting Rifles and very few people are hunting with 7.63X39 or WSSM and well for the 300BLK its fairly under powered for most general hunting and don't recommend it.

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/21/15.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not a fan of "Homeland Defense Rifles". I guess you could call me a FUD, cause all mine got wood stocks and blued steel. Never was a fan of the .223 for anything bigger than varmints either. Yes, I know they'll kill bigger stuff, but face it, a lot of these "Cornfield Comandos" aren't as good as they think they are. MFR, Modern Fantasy Rifle. I like it.

BUT, if these black rifles with no sporting purpose bring in more shooters into the sport, regardless of whether they hunt or not, that's a win for us. More shooters equals more second amendment supporters.

Besides, the 2nd Amendment ain't about your 700 Remington or my 77 Ruger. It's about military style rifles and home/self defense.
7mm

My Modern Sporting Rifle is not a 223, is not tactical and is not black. If 2720fps from a 7mm 140gr Nosler BT is not a 100% capable deer round i don't know what is. I'm only 20fps or so from 7mm08 factory ammo and some consider the 7mm08 the best all around North American hunting cartridge. The AR-15 is not a caliber its a platform capable of many different cartridges and many different purposes.

My 7mm Valkyrie AR in the AR-15 platform
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/21/15.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

7mm

My Modern Sporting Rifle is not a 223, is not tactical and is not black. If 2720fps from a 7mm 140gr Nosler BT is not a 100% capable deer round i don't know what is. I'm only 20fps or so from 7mm08 factory ammo and some consider the 7mm08 the best all around North American hunting cartridge. The AR-15 is not a caliber its a platform capable of many different cartridges and many different purposes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How much does it weigh?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Eric308
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

That was idiotic...

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

7mm

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How much does it weigh?

Its right around 9lbs scoped as you see here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MFRs (Modern Fantasy Rifles) are a poor choice for the serious hunter. In the original Stoner configuration they are too underpowered for game beyond varmints and in 7.62mm too unwieldy.

Huh?

Hey, I have a 22 oz. wooden handled framing hammer.

I think the air powered nail guns are a poor choice for a serious carpenter. The smaller staple size ones are "underpowered" and the larger ones for 16p's are "too unwieldy".

I also have a muzzleloader with .36 and .50 bbls. I could get by hunting most everything with those, "seriously". I guess if I wanted to hunt birds I better get me a fowling piece too?

Ok guys, if I end up getting my very first AR this year, probably a .233/5.56, can I at least hunt javelina and bunny wabbits with it? Although that will not be its intended primary purpose.

Sorry Eric, but around this campfire I think you're outnumbered. Good guy that you may be, you may have stepped in it. No offense to you personally, I just take issue with your liine of thinking.

And as others have mentioned, it's really not about hunting.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Watch your tongue, I gots two air powered nail guns. There ain't nuttin' in this world I can't nail.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Idiot sighting!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
7mm

a lot of the cornfield commando's probably shoot more in a week than you do in a year.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Watch your tongue, I gots two air powered nail guns. There ain't nuttin' in this world I can't nail.

DD, I bet there is nuttin' you can't nail. wink

And I bet they are "semi-automatic assault" nail guns. grin

And they are probably "high caliber" and also have high capacity magazines. Are they black and scary looking too? With flash hiders and the infamous "pistol grip". grin grin

You may enjoy them, but I still like hickory handles and drop forged claw heads! I haven't found a blued one yet, but I bet I could send mine off to one of the shops. Or better yet, to Turnbulls for color hardening!

Enjoy your day.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.