Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
Not at all. In fact I'm fairly well qualified to speak on the practical application of the platform.
However....it was designed around a 22 caliber projectile.

The AR-15 is a platform that has many different calibers that are appropriate. Thinking of the AR-15 as a 223 is pretty outdated and gives us a glimpse of your outdated mentality. I already have a 20in 270AR which is basically is the same concept for .277 pills and its awesome. I get 2800fps from a 130gr Nos BT in a 20in barrel. Its already a proven concept. Sooooo

[Linked Image]

GB1

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by ringworm
At the expense of sectional density.
Look, I run the blackout with 125 BT...no way in hell I think its a 308, chit, it ain't a fkin 30-30.
Its a 150 yard MAX rifle.
It only works on paper with light for caliber bullets.
Know what's gonna happen if I fling a 165 soft point?

Agreed the 300BLK is a weak round in a 5.56 case. The 7mm Valkyrie AR is round shorted 308 family case with 42-43gr of capacity. Whats your 300BLK have like 20gr of capacity? In my opinion the 300BLK is not an ethical hunting cartridge but i don't make the rules. Just because its in the same platform your comparing them? Thats like saying a 22 and a 30-06 are both in bolt rifles so they are similar.

The the 7mm Valkyrie AR can be thought of as a shorter 7mm08 because they share the same parent case and shoot the same projectiles.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SoCalPigHunter; 04/21/15.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by SoCalPigHunter
A shorter barrel will reduce velocity and therefore going to a lower grain pill makes sense which is the same story for EVERY rifle in the world. Nothing different here.

A lower "grain" pill?

A grain is a measure of weight, (well technically it's a measure of mass since 1959), so are you really trying to say a lower weight pill?

Saying lower grain is like calling a loaded round a bullet.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

The the 7mm08 can be though of as a shorter 7mm08 because they share the same parent case and shoot the same projectiles.

Yes, the 7mm08 is a 7mm08

That's called a tautology.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
A shorter barrel will reduce velocity and therefore going to a lower grain pill makes sense which is the same story for EVERY rifle in the world. Nothing different here.

A lower "grain" pill?

A grain is a measure of weight, (well technically it's a measure of mass since 1959), so are you really trying to say a lower weight pill?

Yes lower grain which is a measure of weight. As in a 150gr is a lower grain that a 160gr of the same caliber. As in 150gr weighs less than a 160gr.

IC B2

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I would like to thank everyone that has PMed me measurements for the 7mm pills i have the spreadsheet pretty much filled in. You don't need to apologize about the trolls on this forum everyone can see who they are and what there agenda is.

Last edited by SoCalPigHunter; 04/21/15.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

A lower "grain" pill?

Yes lower grain which is a measure of weight. As in a 150gr is a lower grain that a 160gr of the same caliber. As in 150gr weighs less than a 160gr.

Do you say "lower pound", or "lower weight"?

English lessons aside I fail to see the real advantage of this new build over your former .277 build. It seems to me .277 offers a better bullet selection in the optimum weight range.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thats like debating the merits of the 270 Redding vs the 7mm08 vs the 308 vs the 260 Remington. Not going to go there.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Not going to banter with the trolls anymore i got what i needed thanks for you guys that helped out. My advice to the folks on here this forum has people that don't want you hunting with AR-15's. Pay attention to who they are they have an agenda and its not in the hunting communities and over all gun communities interest to listen to them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Not going to banter with the trolls anymore i got what i needed thanks for you guys that helped out. My advice to the folks on here this forum has people that don't want you hunting with AR-15's. Pay attention to who they are they have an agenda and its not in the hunting communities and over all gun communities interest to listen to them.

Typical Kalifornian.

No resident member made any objection to hunting with AR's in this thread. My issue was how your tests were biased and designed to over estimate actual performance under field conditions. The only person who objected to the use of an AR cartridge for hunting was YOU when you said you considered the .300 Blackout to be an unethical cartridge.

So, yes, by all means, we should encourage the forum members not to listen to people who show up with a specific agenda.

I suppose we will see you again is a year or so when you have another new invention you are trying to promote.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/21/15.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Chit...I expect he's going to post the ACTUAL velocities of the 16" barrels.
I'm sure it'll be all 120gr projectiles.
Sounds like a great plan...
What's the capacity? 7 rounds.
Performance equal to 7-30?
Brilliant.
I don't object to hunting with ARs on an ethical point.
I'm saying if you want to run a semi auto platform, with a 7mm projectile why not just barrel a G3 to 7-08?
[Linked Image]
Or just buy an RA25 of the shelf.
I'm guessing the real reason in you have a whale on the line and are going to ride his pocketbook, playing out some distorted fantasy that your the new Ackley.
Look, regardless of the platforms ability to sustain the abuse...you have a cartridge that has 10% less water capacity of the 7-30.
Running low SD bullets to raise velocity negates why the .284 has good downrange effectivness.
You choice of projectiles nessesitates lighter for caliber weight to ensue expanding because the VAST majority of .284s are designed at +2400 MV.
Couple that with your localized requirements to use nonlead projectiles and now your stuck with Barnes and Hornady GMX types that, while light are also long.
So youll have an AR, yes...very suave, with a 24" barrel that is restricted to shooting a single projectile, 120TSX BT.
Custom dies and uncommon brass aside, forming aside, neck turning, reaming aside...
Now your shoving a long mono into a short case to fit an AR mag length designed for a.223.
That's going to consume your powder space and reduce your velocities further requiring another drop in projectile mass to keep projected velocity high enough.
Your chasing your tail.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is a .277 AR Tacti-gay?

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Very impressive results came in today for those with 7mm Valkrie AR test barrels. The big highlights were 168gr Berger at 2600fps from the 24in AR near max. A 160gr Federal also at 2600fps not yet max both using Leverevolution which is a key enabler in getting such good results from the smaller case.

http://www.msrhunt.com/post/introducing-the-7mm-valkyrie-ar-7266680?trail=45

We also got 16in barrel velocities which showed that velocity drop is about 28fps per inch. I'm thinking 22in flutted barrels will be popular for this cat.

[Linked Image]

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[Linked Image]

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I want to update this old thread with more data and my own range results. Heres the lastest data
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hy81pdY9WnE3t8x1Ifu1LPB1hHUuHDewhEFCam3Am-c/edit#gid=0

I personally am getting 2720fps from a 1/8 twist 22in barrel from a 140gr Nos BT.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like a real thumper on the 15 platform. Damn sure will beat lugging a 10 around.

Any mag issues?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 338rcm, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.