-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my 88 4Runner is pushing 400K miles, but I won't say it has done so with minimal maintenence. I have put a lot of money into it, including a crate motor back in 2005.
This year, I have rebuilt the front hubs. I also did a second complete brake job, front and rear. New power steering pump. New alternator. Just put in a new battery. Installed a set of top shelf shocks. Put on new rubber. New valve cover gasket. New exhaust manifold gasket. New idler arm in the front end. New combination switch in the steering column, to fix the headlights and turn signals.
It will run forever, as long as I spend the money on it, and can still find the parts.

It's reliable, and that is my main concern. I drove it down to Miami yesterday, running 70-75 on the Turnpike. Next month, I am taking it up to Georgia, then on to Virginia and NC, on a three week camping trip. Interstate, mountain trails, swamps, sand trails. Old thing goes where I want, and never lets me down.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/20/15.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Valsdad
FG, I see you're not the only one likes the Tacoma.

Your dog seems pretty happy with it too! grin

You'd never know it the way she abuses that window and door with her spit (drool).

Middle of winter,,,, 70mph,,,, don't matter,,,. she ain't happy until her heads hanging out that window.
Meanwhile,,,, the Cur dog lays politely in the back seat freezing her ass off.

Oh, I know all about that from the mixed breed we said goodbye to a little bit ago grin Her name was Val, hence my handle. I don't think we've got it off the door panel yet.

A cur dog in Idaho, that's cool.

Nice trucks guys, thanks for posting
Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigChief870
Im on my third Tundra and I consider it a small truck. I had a 2002, 2006 and now a 2015. Maybe the 2015 ventures into the full size catagory.

Know what you're saying. My 2004 Tundra just seemed smaller than most Ford or Chevvys and Dodges. My 2014 Tundra Platinum Crew seems way larger than the 2004 that my wife now drives. Incidentally, wife's truck has got 256K and is in great shape.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
FG, I see you're not the only one likes the Tacoma.

Your dog seems pretty happy with it too! grin

You'd never know it the way she abuses that window and door with her spit (drool).

Middle of winter,,,, 70mph,,,, don't matter,,,. she ain't happy until her heads hanging out that window.
Meanwhile,,,, the Cur dog lays politely in the back seat freezing her ass off.

Oh, I know all about that from the mixed breed we said goodbye to a little bit ago grin Her name was Val, hence my handle. I don't think we've got it off the door panel yet.

A cur dog in Idaho, that's cool.

Nice trucks guys, thanks for posting
Geno

Well,,,, mostly Mtn Cur with just a tich of Plott.
She's a pistol.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Taco owners, I'm looking at a gen 3 DCSB Off Road 4x4. I know the brochure says you can tow 6500, but what is the real number that's comfortable without putting a strain on anything? I was hoping to tow a small 14 - 16' camper.

See page 16 for towing spec:

http://www.tfltruck.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2016-toyota-Tacoma-Technical-specs.pdf

- Rogue
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My oldest son has a 99 Tacoma. All but 3 years of its life have been in the sunny south, the past 3 in snow/ice/road salt country. 170,000 miles and the frame is rusted out where the rear spring attaches. Toyota inspected it when the issue about rusting frames came to light back in about 2008, said it was OK. Now it is 2 years past the extended warranty period they gave to cover the problems and the truck is toast. Buyers beware.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the older Tacos and Yotas. The new ones are hard pressed to be called a small truck anymore.

They aren't much smaller, lighter, better on gas than any 1/2 ton out there.

Kinda a 1/2 ton - while the Tundra is a 1/2 ton +

Ford needs to get back in the market with a new Ranger.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2009 just turned 51K miles. V6/auto 19-21 mpg

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a big guy and I drive often in the woods on narrow trails. Compact Toyotas work for me. Have had 3 Tacomas and 3 full-size Fords. I prefer the Tacoma for what I need in a truck. Still think something the size of today's Tacoma, with a small turbo diesel, would be outstanding. Sadly, no Hi-Lux for the USA.....

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JPro
Still think something the size of today's Tacoma, with a small turbo diesel, would be outstanding. Sadly, no Hi-Lux for the USA.....

Yep, grrrr mad

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm on my second Toyota truck, combined 429,000 between them.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How comfortable are the newer Tacomas for long distance driving. It seems their seats sit really low to be comfortable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They definitely sit more like a car with your feet more in front.

A lot more room though than the older Tacoma. I find them perfectly comfortable.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
How comfortable are the newer Tacomas for long distance driving. It seems their seats sit really low to be comfortable.

49 years old with lots of aches and pains here. I just drove mine from Vegas to Grants Pass, Oregon straight thru. 14 1/2 hours. I felt fresh as a daisy until the last two hours.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Slidellkid

Believe me, drive my wife's Matrix around for while then climb in my Tacoma. It's like moving up to a semi. The seats in our Matrix seem like I'm gonna drag my a-- on the road.

Mine is 4WD with "stock" wheels and tires but sits fairly high. I'm old but only 5'8" or so and it works OK for me. 8 hrs or so in any rig gets to my old bones.

Geno

In it is contentment

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Some guys work some guys play you can tell by the truck they drive

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2000 Tacoma short bed 2.7 manual here.

Best.
Truck.
Ever.

2 inch lift and 32 inches of rubber don't hurt. Neither does the limited slip rear.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton

Some guys have more than one truck.

LOL
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two trucks, a 2000 F350 and a 2000 Ford Ranger; both 4x4s. The Ranger is nice for light trips, getting around in parking lots and one-day hunting trips. I much prefer my F350 but it's nice to have two trucks.

I recently had to pull a U-haul trailer to Utah with my Ranger as my turbo went out on the big truck just prior to leaving. I had to get off the throttle on every hill or I would overheat. The little trucks just aren't made to do heavy lifting.

Most overpriced truck out there is the Tacoma. They are like Harleys; everyone thinks they have to have one whether it is merited or not. My Son-in-law has had 4 of them in the past two years, my son has one and I have spent a few hours in Jeffs (see post above).

I get almost the same mileage in the F350 as the Ranger. Diesel fuel is now cheaper than gas here. I can pull anything with the F350. I could scarcely live without the big truck and make do with the little one for the tasks I can.

The Toyotas are pretty good trucks but I don't think they are any better than the Ranger for quite a bit less money.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by ldholton

Some guys have more than one truck.

This...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 905 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.