Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
We had to put Benny down last Thursday. It's tough on everyone. Sorry to hear of your loss. I sincerely hope pets wait for us on the other side.

Mike

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They are worth it. Sorry for your loss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bummer. Man's best friend gets us like no other. I guess it must be generations of companionship or something.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Beautiful dog.

[Linked Image]

Thanks for the picture Lt.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Losing "Fred", my 17 year old Brittany, who I got as a pup and who loved hunting birds and gave his "all" was "more-than-hard".

When I'd walk outta the house with a shotgun in a gun-case and ol' Fred "spied" it... he went CRAZY 'cause he knew we were going huntin' !

Fred's kennel is still empty... and always will be. I finally had to say "Enough!!!".

I'm truly sorry for your loss, pard.... been there, done that. It will eventually get "easier", but it takes a while.

It's been 25+ years, but I still think of ol' Fred... and smile. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damned allergies! My answer is an unequivocal yes. Our little dog, Pixie the Wonderbeagle is preparing to walk across the bridge as we speak. Her health is failing, and the day will come very soon. No matter how well we think we're ready for these eventualities, it still hits like a sledgehammer.

I grew up around hounds, and rabbit hunting. Dad was a well known hound man, and we always had at least one beagle. Belle was his absolute best. A beagle/blue tick cross with a nose that could sort out any rabbit trail and bring the critters around to the guns without fail.

She was the best, and Dad's best. She was the good will ambassador at all neighborhood events. She knew every handout in the area. Which neighbors would feed her. Where to go get a drink. Heck, half the houses kept a bowl of water out for her and they didn't even own dogs.

When Belle died, that was the only time I ever saw my dad cry. This combat hardened veteran of WWII was brought to tears by a dog's passing. I knew then and there that my dogs would always own me, and not vice versa.

Sweet dreams, Lu.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry for your loss, they leave a big hole in your heart when they leave us.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Last October I lost my best friend Rocky 2 weeks short of his 11th birthday, I had prepared for almost 6 months knowing his time was coming...it didn't help. The only saving grace was knowing he had a good life and we had gotten him a companion, another Boxer named Lucy to keep him young and for him to teach her the ropes. She mourned as we did but soon realized it was good to be the Queen since the passing of the King and took full ownership of our hearts, minds and souls.

On August 12th I rushed Lucy to the vet, she was very lethargic and well out of her norm.The next day it was determined she was in the end stages of kidney failure due to a congenital defect. she died later that day.
She had just turned 4 in July.

Devastating loss is just another phrase until you experience it as is unconditional love. But with one the other will surely follow, for you or for them.

I share your pain my friend and I call you friend because at this stage of life I base friendship on how a person thinks of dogs.

So after watching the "dogs will" video I have decided to become an executor because the happiness of many years is worth the pain that follows.

My last wish in this life is for me to be at least half as good a man as Rocky and Lucy thought I was.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dogs really are Man's best friend. I have 3, and one is nearing the end of the road at 15. We get them from a lady who has been breading, raising and showing elkhounds for nearly 60 years. Marie's advise is "love them while you have them".

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry for your loss. I can only imagine the pain and dread the day that I know is coming for my good ol' girl.

This has become my favorite dog tribute.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MTG,

Very sorry for your loss

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry for your loss.
Just about two weeks ago I was faced with the decision on whether to put my old GSP down. She had developed a cancerous tumor on her hip. On Friday she was fine, by Sunday morning there was a golf ball size knot on her hip. She's 15 but when I looked into her eyes there in the vets office I only saw life. She may have a few aches and pains but she just isn't "done" yet. I don't know if I've bought her much time, but we'll enjoy all that she has left. When I look into those big, intelligent brown eyes and see that look, like I saw it in Dakota's eyes, I'll do what needs doing.

Baily and Dakota
[Linked Image]

Baily being a bird dog
[Linked Image]

Dakota being himself
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Snake River Marksman; 09/24/15.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Today is a better day. Carol, my wife of 44 yrs., and I planted a new tree surrounded by mums just adjacent to where we put "Lu" to rest. It is a nice sunny part of our yard that will be shaded in the summer and sunny on cold days.
We do have another pup, "Belle", an 18 month old lab female who is under going training, decoy work, blind retrieves, shed hunting and more. She has made the journey easier for us. BTW, she is showing a lot of promise. Old "Lu" was a lab/shorthair mix. She pointed and did all bird work. Miss "Belle" I will attempt to teach to point. Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. "Lu" will live on in our memories. Tom (MTG)

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
As I type this there is a 14 year old treeing feist staring at me , looking to be taken for a ride to harass some antelope before dinner. I will never be able to replace her but when she goes I know I will have been blessed for the last eleven years she has allowed me to stay with her.......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So sorry for your loss. I as well as many here know that pain all too well.

My lab Dolly is not quite 3 now, and is a dynamite bird hunter. I am 69 now, and figure that the two of us will probably be done with bird hunting at about the same time, God willing. She will likely be the last for me.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MTGunner: I am so sorry for your loss!
I have NO answer to your very pertinent question.
We lost our beloved Henry (Hank) Aarron Gibbons (registered brown Lab) in December of 2,013 and to this day I can hardly bear to speak of our loss and how hurt we were at his passing.
I will just say this, after 14 full years of his love and devotion to our family I still, and will, miss him every day for the rest of my life!
I gaze upon his portrait on our wall every day and quietly mourn his passing and give thanks for his life with us.
I have no answer for you... but I just can't bring myself to try and replace him (our Hank).
I have countless memories of Hank as a pup and as a Hunter for, and protector of our family - enough that I guess I just feel no need to invest in another dog - ever.
Again I am so sorry for your loss.
Indeed may Lu rest in peace.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MTGunner: I am not THE most worldly person in the world so could you enlighten me on the point you made in your posting?
You wrote:

"Today is a better day. Carol, my wife of 44 yrs., and I planted a new tree surrounded by mums just adjacent to where we put "Lu" to rest. It is a nice sunny part of our yard that will be shaded in the summer and sunny on cold days".

Our veterinarean came to our home on a SUNDAY at Christmas time of 2,013 on a 20 degree below zero day to remove our beloved friend/pet who had passed away.
I was inconsolable and could not speak with/to her (but my wife could) but I did have a crisp 100 dollar bill in an envelope for her as partial payment for her taking our dog away and preparing him for cremation.
She sent us a Thank You card (for the gift and for "allowing her to care for our beloved Hank"!) and informing us she had donated our gift to an organization that plants trees locally in honor of Hank!
I had never heard of this type thing - IS planting a tree a current commemoration practice of a dogs life?
Thanks in advance for your or anyones response/explanation.
Enjoy your memories of Lu!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We were given a young tree to plant in memory of Rocky and Lucy.
I believe the sentiment is "the tree should live and prosper though many lives both dog and man as a lasting tribute.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Worth every tear and every minute shared! I have been owned by a couple of amazing Golden Retrievers and a big black horse that chose me.

Let your heart rest a minute and be owned again!!!

Sorry for your loss.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Varmintguy, I hope this will explain my post. "Lu" was euthanized by our vet after extensive testing to determine her illness. Our vet informed us that the humane thing to do was to put her down to curb her pain which at the time was extensive. She could barely walk and we had to hold her up so that she could take care of her business. I/we brought her home and I hand dug her grave. We placed our beloved "Lu" in a grave near our garden that was a favored place to spend her day. We pondered having her cremated but decided against this. I wanted to place her myself. She was my dog and my responsibility. The tree and flowers are a tribute to her and all the other working dogs that we have lost. Each time we loose an animal we plant a tree. We can look at the tree as it grows and swell with pride to think that our dogs, cats were part of our life that enjoyed companionship and mutual respect. The tree is merely a symbol. Memories will endure. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 55 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.