Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I want another 45 besides my Ruger 3 screw but I get cold feet with the price of a new FA. I found one that I love but every time I am about to say yes I wonder if it is worth the 2500+ pricetag.

I have owned a few pythons in my life but would never consider paying what they go for now. For some reason I am close to justifying the FA.

What's your take on them (FA)?

I bought a 97 and it was a very fine revolver. But there is something about them that I don't like. It's almost indescribable but I'll try.

The frame and overall size is awesome. And in .44 Special (mine was) I encountered no COAL problems with the cylinder. But if it's in a longer case, you'll find you have to seat over the driving band with certain, longish type bullets. So, the size is great, but there are drawbacks to it.

The tolerances are almost too good. When things dirty up you may have to really press on the cartridge to get them in the chamber enough to rotate the cylinder. When you thumb the hammer, they don't have the lightning fast feel of a Ruger or Colt. I can't explain it really but they're almost too good.

Also, if I stand on my hind legs and shoot with both my Flattop and FA, there is no difference. I hit everything or miss everything equally. So you sorta find yourself asking WTF you paid that much for something that your 29 or Colt or Vaquero will already do.

If you lay out prone or off a bench, you'll find they group tighter than anything. But as I said, it can't be seen when you start busting clays, cans, or critters. I have rolled a few 200 meter chickens with my old 97, but I've also done that with my 29 and Flattop.

One last thing, FA used a front sight height needed to achieve zero with 180 or 200gr bullets. Name one fugking person you know that spends $2K on a .44 Special, to shoot 200gr XTP's. I've never met one. When I called them and told them I wanted a different sight, they charged me like $40 or some schit.

And if you want a custom like trigger, go ahead and factor in the cost of having it "tuned" because the "untuned" version isn't anything to write home about.

I sold it after determining I'd rather put the money toward an old Colt, custom Ruger, classic Smith, etc.

Travis

As in life, many things work better with a little slop.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I want another 45 besides my Ruger 3 screw but I get cold feet with the price of a new FA. I found one that I love but every time I am about to say yes I wonder if it is worth the 2500+ pricetag.

I have owned a few pythons in my life but would never consider paying what they go for now. For some reason I am close to justifying the FA.

What's your take on them (FA)?

I bought a 97 and it was a very fine revolver. But there is something about them that I don't like. It's almost indescribable but I'll try.

The frame and overall size is awesome. And in .44 Special (mine was) I encountered no COAL problems with the cylinder. But if it's in a longer case, you'll find you have to seat over the driving band with certain, longish type bullets. So, the size is great, but there are drawbacks to it.

The tolerances are almost too good. When things dirty up you may have to really press on the cartridge to get them in the chamber enough to rotate the cylinder. When you thumb the hammer, they don't have the lightning fast feel of a Ruger or Colt. I can't explain it really but they're almost too good.

Also, if I stand on my hind legs and shoot with both my Flattop and FA, there is no difference. I hit everything or miss everything equally. So you sorta find yourself asking WTF you paid that much for something that your 29 or Colt or Vaquero will already do.

If you lay out prone or off a bench, you'll find they group tighter than anything. But as I said, it can't be seen when you start busting clays, cans, or critters. I have rolled a few 200 meter chickens with my old 97, but I've also done that with my 29 and Flattop.

One last thing, FA used a front sight height needed to achieve zero with 180 or 200gr bullets. Name one fugking person you know that spends $2K on a .44 Special, to shoot 200gr XTP's. I've never met one. When I called them and told them I wanted a different sight, they charged me like $40 or some schit.

And if you want a custom like trigger, go ahead and factor in the cost of having it "tuned" because the "untuned" version isn't anything to write home about.

I sold it after determining I'd rather put the money toward an old Colt, custom Ruger, classic Smith, etc.

Travis

As in life, many things work better with a little slop.

Ain't that the truth.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Travis made a lot of good points - agree with them all. I've never owned a 97 but am on my 4th 83. I started buying them in the late 1980's and was able to get them for around $1000 new then. Owned 3 different ones up until the mid 1990's and went to Ruger Bisleys after that. I truly appreciate the quality / precision, and the FA folks are wonderful people, but don't think I could justify the price of a new one today.

In 2009 I was passing through Post Falls and Cabelas had a used premier grade 83 454 with a Leupold 2x in FA mounts with original box and papers - $1200. At that time, they were typically in the $1700 range without scope (used / locally), so it came home with me. Wasn't sure I really wanted another one, but the price was too good not to - knew I could sell it for more than I was into it. I still have it and doubt I'll let it go, and can say I do prefer the 83 grip to the Bisley.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've had a few 83's and only a couple of 97s (didn't learn after the first one. Travis and RJM nailed it. The cylinder is short and IMO is limiting to what rounds you can use. I tend to prefer the heavier bullets (which are longer) for caliber. It was very frustrating to not have much choice in ammo selection for a gun that price. Other wise if you are good with a lighter bullet that works with the cylinder I'd say go for it.

As far as grip goes I very much prefer the F/A grip to Rugers Bisley grip. I have a nice BFR I'm going to send to Huntington to have the grip changed to the F/A grip. Just gives me better control.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with a couple of others. I'd not have a '97 in 45 Colt due to the short cylinder for cartridge. I personally love the FA vault-like tightness and have had 3 Model 83's and never had a problem. I now have a 475L Octagon 83 on order and when that comes in, I'll order a 44 Spl Octagon 97. Both with shortest barrel available. Delivery time on custom orders is approximately 14 months.

They are a bargain compared to Bowen, Linebaugh, etc. I have several Bowens and would of course rather have those....but they're 50% more than the cost of a FA.

Last edited by 257heaven; 09/24/15.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only thing i don't like about my Model 83 in 454 C is the Rubber Pachmayr Grips, need to replace with wood.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
As far as COAL in the FA 83, this is what I tend to load.

260g/360g/395g

I have not found a reason to go above the 395g
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 360gr looks like a winner for deer

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe a million reasons not to.
No revolver ever made will out shoot a BFR. Spend money for looks but I buy accuracy and a stronger gun. I worked on too many and hate them. Want a better trigger, spend $100 for a lighter spring. 25 cent item. Tight? they will eat the throats and forcing cone quick along with rifling. Feel good stuff. Internal parts wear fast so the gun is not safe. NEVER have a round under the hammer. Transfer bars don't drop and hammer blocks don't rise. Push the hammer and see the firing pin come out. Heed the warnings, they don't trust their own guns. You bought a 4 shot.
F[Linked Image]reedom .454 before and after. Freedom could not fix it but I did.
try this with a freedom, shotgun shell at 100 yards with a BFR and red dot. [Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Maybe a million reasons not to.
No revolver ever made will out shoot a BFR. Spend money for looks but I buy accuracy and a stronger gun. I worked on too many and hate them. Want a better trigger, spend $100 for a lighter spring. 25 cent item. Tight? they will eat the throats and forcing cone quick along with rifling. Feel good stuff. Internal parts wear fast so the gun is not safe. NEVER have a round under the hammer. Transfer bars don't drop and hammer blocks don't rise. Push the hammer and see the firing pin come out. Heed the warnings, they don't trust their own guns. You bought a 4 shot.
F[Linked Image]reedom .454 before and after. Freedom could not fix it but I did.
try this with a freedom, shotgun shell at 100 yards with a BFR and red dot. [Linked Image]

I'm looking forward to shooting with my buddy BFR next year.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
IMO Freedom Arms makes the best factory revolver ever built. I have never handled a custom revolver that was built any better.
Yes, they are pretty pricey and the waiting time to have one built is long. My last two required approximately 15 months to be built. One is an 83 in 44 mag with 6 inch octagon barrel, polished trigger and hammer and the action job. The other is a 97 in .22 LR with the optional 22 mag cylinder. It also has a 6.5 inch octagon barrel, polished trigger and hammer and action job.

Its not just they are so accurate but you are holding a piece of art work in your hand. Just cycling the action reveals it is built like a high end swiss watch.

Pretty much this. I have a 97 in 22LR/22Mag. 5.5" barrel. It is really a custom gun.

A work of art and very accurate.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by plastikosmd
As far as COAL in the FA 83, this is what I tend to load.

260g/360g/395g

I have not found a reason to go above the 395g
[Linked Image]

What reason did you have to go over 360gr?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

I guess I differ here as well. Keeping tolerances to an absolute minimum does not make a firearm a "work of art" IMO.

The FA's are ugly, and sensitive in the functionality department.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To the OP's question - no reason not to buy a FA-97. As stated the cylinder is a bit on the short side. I had Mountain Molds make a LBT-style 300-grain GC bullet and they can put the crimp groove where ever you want/need it to be. Just about any mould maker that makes lathe turned moulds should have this ability.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I guess I differ here as well. Keeping tolerances to an absolute minimum does not make a firearm a "work of art" IMO.

The FA's are ugly, and sensitive in the functionality department.

Travis

"ugly"...ok

"and sensitive in the functionality department."...how do you figure that? I have a couple thousand rounds through the 654 .41...zero issues... Pushing 1000 from the 97/.41...zero issues. Have two others and had two more with zero issues... Cock hammer, pull trigger and gun fires... Have several friends with FAs and zero issues.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You never have to give your rounds an extra "push" to get them fully seated?

Never had a primer raised by less than a kgunt hair?

Either of these cause the cylinder to not spin.

Pretty is as pretty does, but unfinished stainless steel is unfinished stainless steel.

Travis

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Yep...has real tight throats and zero tolerance for out of spec ammo. But since it will not do any of that with factory loads...where is the problem...the gun or the guy who loaded the ammo.

Bob

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The FA's are ugly, and sensitive jin the functionality department.

Travis

When it comes to metal fit and tolerances they are truly a work of art IMHO. Only seen one that that was not very accurate and it had a barrel that had no rifling.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...I don't doubt you...but the question becomes that since all FAs have a test target how did it get out of the factory...or was this before test targets...

Bob

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJM
Yep...has real tight throats and zero tolerance for out of spec ammo. But since it will not do any of that with factory loads...where is the problem...the gun or the guy who loaded the ammo.

Bob

I wouldn't consider your reloads out of spec.

Travis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,080 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,761
Posts18,476,523
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.