Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've smoke a pipe for over 50 years and any good pipe is a good smoke. I've been most impressed by Iwan Ries (Chicago) and J. Piretti (Boston). I used to visit both cities on business regularly and never failed to stop in. I've got about 30-40 pipes from each plus a number of others.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
If you haven't smoked a pipe in many years, why start now. The chance of getting, lung cancer, tongue or cheek, throat cancer is very high.

The chance of you meeting a demise while clogging the passing lane, is far greater than someone puffing on a pipe.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I will not insult your intelligence by presuming to think that you actually believe what you just said."

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by djs
I've smoke a pipe for over 50 years and any good pipe is a good smoke.

Shocking!

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
I will not insult your intelligence by presuming to think that you actually believe what you just said."

You are right.

A left lane warden from MO can't insult anyone's intelligence.

" is your friend!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Cherry Blend tobacco thru a corncob pipe

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Appreciate the compliment. Anything to keep you from killing me.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple Savinellis, I am happy with them. They are expensive new but pretty good deals on used pipes on eBay. Send me your address, I'll send you some tobacco samples. I only smoke a couple times a week and have way more tobacco than I need.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a couple dozen pipes, which I smoke less than I used to except when I'm hunting or fishing. Most are Petersons, but I've got a couple Savinelli's and Dunhills, a Brebbia or two, and some of my own creations from back in the day. I'd say Peterson's are a good value. As it happens, my kids usually buy me one of the Peterson's St. Patrick's Day pipes every year, as my birthday is the 16th, and it's an easy gift for them to order.

I've gravitated to two tobacco mixes over the years: McClelland's Deep Hollow is a very tasty aromatic blend without the bitter aftertaste that most aromatics get, and Frog Morton, a latakia blend. I smoke Deep Hollow most of the time, but Frog Morton is a nice alternative. The F.M. is nice in a long churchwarden pipe with a glass of tawny port, if you're into that sort of thing.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by teal
Best place to purchase on-line?

Pipe wise?

PaylessPipes.com is a good place to try for pipes. I buy most of my tobacco from JRCigar.com or from my local pipe emporium.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My brother started smoking a pipe in college (it made him look cool) and smoked one his whole life...which ended at 61 from cancer...

Cheers/bg

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
For a very nice-smoking pipe tobacco with an excellent aroma, find a real pipe shop and ask them for 1-Q... the wholesale name of a fine pipe tobacco with literally no "bite", but one which has an excellent aroma.

I've had a great many people... both men and women... tell me how "nice" my tobacco smoke smells to them and almost all of them also mention that the aroma of my tobacco reminds them of the aroma of their "Grampa's" pipe smoke.

The 2 tobacco shops I buy my pipe tobacco from have different names for the same 1-Q pipe tobacco. One shop calls it "Harvest Moon" and the other shop calls it "Reverse". It seems that tobacco shops can call 1-Q whatever they wish to call it.

The first shop is in a small town just north of my home where a little old lady still runs her dead husband's tobacco shop. She charges $27 a pound for her "Harvest Moon".

The 2nd shop charges me $28 a pound (to regular customers like me). The pipe shop is part of a fine wines and beer store in a very "up-scale" shop in a wealthy neighborhood south of Dayton and their normal retail price for their 1-Q which they called "Reserve" is $38 a pound. If I'm down that way for some reason, I'll stop there instead of driving to the small town near my home to get the tobacco. However, the woman who manages their pipe tobacco sales gives her "regular customers" (like me) a big discount if the customer is buying at least 1 pound of tobacco.

Since I use a pound of pipe tobacco a month, I usually buy 2 pounds at a time at either pipe shop.

Regardless, if your tobacco shop sells bulk pipe tobaccos, they'll instantly recognize the wholesale name of "1-Q" pipe tobacco regardless of what retail name they call it. If your shop doesn't know what "1-Q" is, find a new place to buy your pipe tobacco.

At both shops, 1-Q is their best selling pipe tobacco.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well, I just ordered a few of the implements required. For tobacco, got a recommendation for Cornell and Diehl Autumn Evening, also Nording Hunter Blend Retriever. Ordered both in small quantities...even if lighting up regularly, will never go through a pound a month!

I'm looking at Peterson pipes, but am open to other suggestions for a beginner, if anyone has a mind to. Looks like the standard Peterson variations are around a hundred.

While in college I did pick up a pipe from a shop near campus and used it for a few years. Wish I still had it.

Last edited by sse; 10/07/15.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's what Pipes and Cigars says about that 1-Q stuff: This mixture has been the largest selling bulk pipe tobacco in the United States for decades.

Guess I will have to try it...

Last edited by sse; 10/07/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There used to be a verrrrrrry old man that owned a liquor store in my small town. He was a local legend. In high school a buddy and me decided to buy pipes and he always had some on the wall. So we go to his store and ask about pipes. He looks around like we asked to buy cocaine and the cops are on to him. He slowly reaches below the counter and pulls out a lockbox. He has some of the most beautiful (tobacco) pipes I have ever seen in it. Literal works of art. They were way to expensive for our high school budget but I'll never forget the experience. My friend and i talk about it from time to time still after all these years. Word is he was very wealthy when he died. He used to live in the store in the back. I know when his daughter took over she remodeled the store into a really nice place. I kinda miss the old boy.

Last edited by k20350; 10/07/15.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by teal
Best place to purchase on-line?

Pipe wise?

Actually for me the best pipes I have purchased have been from ladies who run the antique mall and want to get rid of em quick! I've picked up several top name European makes for pocket change. Talking about $75+ pipes for less than $10 in primo condition.

In these days of eBay it's good to make friends with a few of these folks. Many times they will gladly turn something for a few bucks quick like before sticking them in their eBay story.

Just a thought.

Then again, I've always been a Kaywoodie man!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
While on then subject, "writing frog" who used to post here sent me this pipe made by a small cottage shop run by several brothers in France. Very nice pipe!

[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ron_T
For a very nice-smoking pipe tobacco with an excellent aroma, find a real pipe shop and ask them for 1-Q... the wholesale name of a fine pipe tobacco with literally no "bite", but one which has an excellent aroma.

I've had a great many people... both men and women... tell me how "nice" my tobacco smoke smells to them and almost all of them also mention that the aroma of my tobacco reminds them of the aroma of their "Grampa's" pipe smoke.

The 2 tobacco shops I buy my pipe tobacco from have different names for the same 1-Q pipe tobacco. One shop calls it "Harvest Moon" and the other shop calls it "Reverse". It seems that tobacco shops can call 1-Q whatever they wish to call it.

The first shop is in a small town just north of my home where a little old lady still runs her dead husband's tobacco shop. She charges $27 a pound for her "Harvest Moon".

The 2nd shop charges me $28 a pound (to regular customers like me). The pipe shop is part of a fine wines and beer store in a very "up-scale" shop in a wealthy neighborhood south of Dayton and their normal retail price for their 1-Q which they called "Reserve" is $38 a pound. If I'm down that way for some reason, I'll stop there instead of driving to the small town near my home to get the tobacco. However, the woman who manages their pipe tobacco sales gives her "regular customers" (like me) a big discount if the customer is buying at least 1 pound of tobacco.

Since I use a pound of pipe tobacco a month, I usually buy 2 pounds at a time at either pipe shop.

Regardless, if your tobacco shop sells bulk pipe tobaccos, they'll instantly recognize the wholesale name of "1-Q" pipe tobacco regardless of what retail name they call it. If your shop doesn't know what "1-Q" is, find a new place to buy your pipe tobacco.

At both shops, 1-Q is their best selling pipe tobacco.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Hey T, just found a most reputable vendor who has the 1-Q for $27.50 per pound...if you need the the info, lemme know...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some friends, some honest friends, and honest friends are few; My pipe of briar, my open fire, A book that's not too new.

Robert W. Service

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”

Albert Einstein

This very much sums up my relationship with the pipe.

Father smokes, Father in Law did; and we enjoyed many together.

Hangers for me. Petersons do well with Flakes - University, Marlin to name but two.

These I enjoy on the porch or in the office, when a serious matter needs athinking.

Outdoors a little stem - tomato - for the pocket - with my favorite blend, a age old mild Latakia Mixture you buy in vaccummed balles from a little shop in Kiel.

Evenings with pipers do not turn into fisty cuffs, a little dry humor and wit at the most, in my humble experience.

Yet, a piper never is alone. See above.

In San Antonio I visited the "Humidor" this spring - a little slice of heaven, that I sat around about three hours, a bowl of their own, Gentleman Jack, and a cigar...

http://www.clubhumidor.com/

Good times.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 2,565 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.