Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I brought this up several months back but I thought I'd touch on it again.

These xtreme penetrator bullets are no gimmick. They aren't something that's a fad or that's going away any time soon. This is the real deal. They are the bullets that look like the end of a phillips screwdriver and made of solid copper.

After seeing Military Arms post his video of the performance of this round out of the 380 a while back (see link below), I looked them up and saw that Underwood made a load for the 10mm. I carry a glock 29 in the woods and the thought of this type of performance led me to carry it on my hip this fall.

I just checked to see if anybody had posted any more info about the 10mm version or had done any testing, and the youtube guy 22plinkser recently posted a vid of the bullet zipping through very thick bullet proof glass. A regular 180 grain 10mm load barely dented the surface.

These things are worthy of your consideration. I may figure out a way to do some testing of my own and see exactly how deep these mumbo jumbos will penetrate of of the 29.

Out of the 380 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDQcE-1T40

10mm through bullet proof glass - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDvzul3rvTk

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be interesting to see it compared to a cast flat point.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek

That comparison has been extensively performed over on AR and it wasn't even close. Copper/brass alloy monolithic solids were exponentially better.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI

That comparison has been extensively performed over on AR and it wasn't even close. Copper/brass alloy monolithic solids were exponentially better.
Really, very interesting. Any links you could provide?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I'm interested in a link too. Not sure what AR is, Accurate Reloader?

I've thought it would be interesting to cut a bullet mold with this nose shape to cast my own, but am still undecided on whether it's really better than a flat nose with the same frontal area.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Really, very interesting. Any links you could provide?

Cooper bullets maintain their form much better than hard cast and most definitely penetrate deeper.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
interesting bullet on the 10mm, if i wanted on a regular basis to shoot bullet proof glass.
Kind of reminds me of the 5.56 green tip round penciling through a target.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
interesting bullet on the 10mm, if i wanted on a regular basis to shoot bullet proof glass.
Kind of reminds me of the 5.56 green tip round penciling through a target.

You need to watch some of the videos shooting into ballistic gell, they leave large wound channels.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would be interesting to see how one of the all copper bullets w/o the scallops would perform in terms of penetration and wound channel.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one of these days i have to load them. I have some 300 grain .375 solids intended for dangerous game for a .375H&H. I don't know if you can buy the anymore.
And some similar ones for 7x57 made by knoch.
Got to find something suitable like some railroad ties of a burnt out car to use as a target.
A guy i once knew found it necessary to shoot a bad guy in a doublewide trailer. He did with a 230 ball round from a .45acp.
the bullet went through the bad guy, through a wall in the trailer, and plugged his partner.
Penetration is nice, but not always so nice.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 09/30/15.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If one wanted just penetration, I have often thought about a .308 black tip a.p. bullet loaded in a 300win mag. It probably would be quite impressive.
I looked at some of this stuff for .41magnum but sure wasn't impressed with the price per round.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Look some of the performance up on youtube - it's impressive. While the wound cavities aren't as wide as a good hollow point, they go much deeper with tissue disruption and penetrate much, much deeper. The wound cavities are substantially bigger than a standard solid bullet with a spiral pattern corkscrewing through the medium.

I'd use them for 2 things:

-In a smaller caliber like a 380. The performance in the 380 makes it a viable option that would give great penetration and offer quite a bit more than a standard solid. This bullet makes my Glock 42 a viable option for carry for me.

-In a gun I'm using to protect myself from bears - namely a 10mm like my glock 29. A magazine full of these would be a lot for any critter to deal with. Watching the way the bullet breezed through 1.25" bullet proof glass gives me confidence that it would do the job on a bear skull if needed.

I wouldn't use these bullets in a standard carry gun like a 9mm or a 45 for the same reasons - I'd be worried it would shoot like a laser and go through too much stuff. In those cases a premium bullet like the HST or Ranger would do the trick very well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This one is pretty good - tnoutdoors9 can't stop one of these from a 9mm.

Again, not for every use, but a very valuable tool to have in the quiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLbmSp5itA

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
It would be interesting to see how one of the all copper bullets w/o the scallops would perform in terms of penetration and wound channel.

The Extreme Defender which has slightly different scalups I believe was leaving wound channels larger than the HST hollow points in 9mm, in ballistic gell tests on the Miltary Arms channel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
If one wanted just penetration, I have often thought about a .308 black tip a.p. bullet loaded in a 300win mag. It probably would be quite impressive.
I looked at some of this stuff for .41magnum but sure wasn't impressed with the price per round.

My 500 Jeffrey's chamber was cut with a long throat and I have some 690 gr 50 bmg ap bullets. I may only be able to get a sedate 2200 fps out of them, but I have a feeling penetration would be impressive.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A bit off topic. Some years ago I bought a SS Bowen 500 Linebaugh Nimrod from a gent in Alaska. He had just returned from a cow elephant hunt where he brained the critter using a prototype 450 gr Belt Mountain Punch bullet in a 50-110 lever gun. He used the same bullet when he carried the Nimrod in the Alaskan bush. I bought the handgun as a package deal, brass, leather, numerous cast slugs, factory BB ammo and about 50 of the prototype bullets. I have yet to shoot them and, clearly, have no need. He was pushing the lever gun on me as well as some others so he could raise cash to go hunt elephant again.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Very interesting... Thanks for the info..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the links, dryflyelk. I may try some in 9mm in the Glock 43 and see how they stack up against the Buffalo Bore 147 grain +P hard cast Outdoorsman. I am thinking that I get enough penetration out of Buffalo Bore .45 ACP 255 grain +P hard cast as to not need to spend the extra money in that caliber. None of the critters around here ride in armored limos.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, that Xtreme defender is the real deal. I hadn't seen that video before - thanks, JWP.

Here it is if anybody wants to watch the solid copper Underwood Xtreme Defender compared to a federal HST from a 9mm.

It really is amazing the amount of destruction those scallops cause with no penetration. Bigger wound channel than the HST and considerably deeper penetration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJcJ8LQFbQ

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys, watch the video in the link I just posted. You will be a believer.

Unbelievable performance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (1lesfox, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.