-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just because a handgun (hand in the singular tense) was designed so it COULD be shot with one hand doesn't mean it was designed so the operator MUST use just one hand.

There's way too much history of handguns being held all sorts of ways for such a change in definition to withstand a challenge in the world of common-sense or a court of law.

Attaching a stock is one thing, but a forearm is something else altogether.

Handguns with "forend" grips - that may or may not be used by the operator - have been around for a long time.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds to me like Trh just needs to get laid

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan
Just because a handgun (hand in the singular tense) was designed so it COULD be shot with one hand doesn't mean it was designed so the operator MUST use just one hand.
Preach it, brother. Spot on.

Now we need to make the ATF recognize that basic common sense statement and toss out their new interpretation of "redesigned."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is this just another way to waste an otherwise useful Sunday afternoon?

I trust BATF much less than most here, but I'd like to see a case where interpretation of 2-handed firing has been classified as redesign in arrest or prosecution before believing this stuff.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RGK
Great idea to get more people into bullseye.
Bob

[Linked Image]
Good man. Keep that other hand as far from the handgun as possible, so as to avoid any criminal liability under Title II of the NFA based on the ATF's new interpretation of the word "redesign."

Keeps your balls warm on cold mornings, too.
Bob

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"The GCA does not define the term “redesign” and therefore ATF applies the common meaning. “Redesign” is defined as “to alter the appearance or function of.” See e.g. Webster’s II New College Dictionary, Third Ed. (2005)."

In other words, as they explain it, by the method of use alone, absent any "alteration of appearance," one may "redesign" a non-NFA firearm (such as a handgun) into an NFA regulated classification, thus exposing oneself to criminal liability absent the appropriate paperwork and tax payment.

I don't know how you got from the first paragraph to the second paragraph.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just received an Official Notice Of Clarification regarding this two handed issue from the B.A.T.F.

>>> http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/33141722.jpg <<<

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I just received an Official Notice Of Clarification regarding this two handed issue from the B.A.T.F.

>>> http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/33141722.jpg <<<

grin

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
"The GCA does not define the term “redesign” and therefore ATF applies the common meaning. “Redesign” is defined as “to alter the appearance or function of.” See e.g. Webster’s II New College Dictionary, Third Ed. (2005)."

In other words, as they explain it, by the method of use alone, absent any "alteration of appearance," one may "redesign" a non-NFA firearm (such as a handgun) into an NFA regulated classification, thus exposing oneself to criminal liability absent the appropriate paperwork and tax payment.

I don't know how you got from the first paragraph to the second paragraph.
They rely on the "or function" part to say that no physical change to the handgun is required to make it a Title II violation. If you use it in such a way as to make it function as a two handed weapon (by using two hands), that's enough to "redesign" it into an Any Other Weapon classification, requiring a tax stamp to avoid felony charges.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would like to see the ATF try and confront me while I am shooting my S&W 460 and S&W 500 with both hands.
I do not think that they would get very close to me.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Is this just another way to waste an otherwise useful Sunday afternoon?

I trust BATF much less than most here, but I'd like to see a case where interpretation of 2-handed firing has been classified as redesign in arrest or prosecution before believing this stuff.
It probably won't ever happen, because a judge would laugh them to scorn for their interpretation of "redesign" to include a method of use consistent with a prohibited design. But they like to make us worry. It's a power trip.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Keeps your balls warm on cold mornings, too.
Bob
laugh Yep.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by funshooter
I would like to see the ATF try and confront me while I am shooting my S&W 460 and S&W 500 with both hands.

Pretty funny stuff.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by funshooter
I would think that, with the proper sights attached, that any such idiotic attempt by an ATF agent would be from a distance of AT LEAST 200 yards.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
really? you're reaching on this one. no way would your interpretation stand up in a court of law. there are more important things to worry about like whether bruce jenner still has his cock and/or balls or if its just a real fuggen mess down there.

My diploma is a DD214
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There is a difference between function and use. The pistol still functions the same whether you use one hand, two hands, your feet, or your mouth and tongue.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Notropis
There is a difference between function and use. The pistol still functions the same whether you use one hand, two hands, your feet, or your mouth and tongue.
You and I know that, but they are trying to create the impression that function means how its used, even without physical alteration. They're being very broad in their interpretation in the hope of intimidating gun owners. No judge would see it that way, though, unless he too had an axe to grind.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think I'm starting to get it . . .

>> http://www.curiousinkling.com/img/cp/eschew.jpg <<

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The_Real_Hawkeye - Is this for real? What moronic "apparatchik" wasted a butt-load of taxpayer money and dreamed this BS up? I mean...what's ATF going to charge you with... a hand job! LOL
Homesteader

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Homesteader
The_Real_Hawkeye - Is this for real? What moronic "apparatchik" wasted a butt-load of taxpayer money and dreamed this BS up? I mean...what's ATF going to charge you with... a hand job! LOL
Homesteader
Well, they certainly have since January changed their operating interpretation of the word redesign to include methods of use, without regard for the absence of physical alteration. Put that together with the laws already long on the books about redesigning a handgun into a two-handed firearm, and what you get is a felony attached to taking a two-handed hold of a handgun (a weapon that must be designed for use with one hand) when firing it absent the appropriate tax stamp for a Title II AOW firearm.

I agree, however, that they'd never actually try to enforce their new interpretation of the word redesign, since the first halfway honest judge that saw it would laugh them out of court.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,117
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.