Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

<br>Finally found a savage 99 a in 358 a couple months ago. I've already killed 2 deer with it this year. performance was awsome: deer went straight down, large holes and little meat damage. I love this .358
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Good shooting, Weagle

GB1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
No Deer Camp this Fall, but I will hunt Wild Hogs in the Spring.
<br>
<br>I will be using the pinnacle of American firearms design, a Savage 99 C in .308 Win. This is my personal choice as "Best All Around" rifle for the continental United States. This is particularly true now that it is topped with a Leupold Vari-X II in 3x9x40 on rock solid leupold mounts.
<br>
<br>I prefer to use 165 grain Speer Grand Slams (Factory Nitrex). This set up will shoot one inch groups at the range and has all the power I need for Elk, Deer, Black Bear, or Wild Hogs. It also has the range (and accuracy) for longer shots at Pronghorn Antelope or Coyotes. (Admittedly, I would move to 180 grain Fail Safes or Barnes X-Bullets for Maine Moose, but I would not feel under-gunned.)
<br>
<br>BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BMT,
<br>
<br>You are a brave fellow indeed!
<br>
<br>Your favorite rifle and scope are among the least favorites on the Savage and Optics Boards. The Savage guys don't, in general, like the Model 99C and the Optics guys don't like any Leupold that is less than a VX-3.
<br>
<br>On the other hand, I personally don't mind the Model 99C for some applications and I rather like the Leupold 2-7x for almost all applications.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I agree with you Bearrr264:
<br>
<br>There is a lot to be said for the "old style" Savages. But, when it came time to buy, the price was too high for my all-purpose gun. I have hunted with a nice rotary magazine 99E. It was sweet, but the owner got a little tense when I poked a dead pig with it. The conversation went like this:
<br>
<br>Owner : Waddaya doin'?
<br>
<br>Me: Just makin' sure its dead.
<br>
<br>Owner: Well don't get any blood on that barrel.
<br>
<br>Me: It won't melt for goshsakes, its steel.
<br>
<br>Owner: Well . . . . .be careful.
<br>
<br>I have a lot of respect for the guys that hunt with their .303s and such, but out here in God's Country (Oregon), hunting ranges vary from 25 feet to 250 yards, so a 308 with a 3x9 is the practical choice.
<br>
<br>All my best,
<br>
<br>BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
BMT: Not to make waves, but, fer shame on missing deer camp! I'm down to my last couple of them and can tell you that those missed will be regretted.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good for you Weagle! I totally agree - the .358 has awesome knock-down power. I shot a doe this morning with my .358 to fill my management tag - she dropped where she was standing. Its fun to shoot all the old Savage 99's, but any time I'm hunting in late afternoon I always take the .358. Following a blood trail with a flash light is no fun!

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Wiley:
<br>
<br>I understand how you feel. But a few years back, my nephew lost his dad. I trade deer camp for Salmon Fishing with him (Age 9) each fall (not a bad trade really). When he's older, I'll get him into the woods.
<br>
<br>BMT
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BMT,
<br>
<br>I'm going to New England on business in two (2) weeks and I'm sure to drop by a few gun shops. If you'd like me to give you a lead on a rotory magazine Model 99, just let me know what configuration and caliber you're interested in.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Bearrr264:
<br>
<br>You are a true gentleman. Caliber -- .358 Win, Barrel should be short -- 20 inches or less. (I have had it on my wish list for a LONG time).
<br>
<br>Let me know what you find.
<br>
<br>Thank you,
<br>
<br>BMT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BMT,
<br>
<br>That's about as good a reason as you can have. My hats off to you.
<br>
<br>Rick....

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to all that responded. I was just kind of curious about who likes to deer hunt and if they use their great old Savage rifles. I just like being in the woods with a lot of history resting in my hands as I sit in my blind. I have more modern guns with super optics, but it is hard to beat the classic Savage 99 with a Rotary Magazine. I am really serious about taking a whitetail with my 22 hi-power. I do exercise responsible deer management. We hunt almost 2500 private acres in the lower pennisular near Curan. Last year I let several 4 pointers walk opening morning and wound up taking a doe with the 303 Savage. I have been assured by several individuals that I consider quite knowlegable that the 22 Hi Power is up to the task. My 300 Savage with the 2.5 X Weaver is their for long shots or shots in the last 10 to 15 minutes of the day where open sights ( Marbles peep) is hard to see. I wish all of you good luck and hope to read your posts after hunting. I will certainly include mine. 300 Savage

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We have all seen the photos of the dead tiger killed by the 22HP. If it can drop a tiger, then a whitetail is no problem. There is also an account by Jack O'Connor of a fellow who hunted Grizzly with the HP. What I read was that the guy took 11 bears with a 22HP. Unfortunately bear 12 killed him..............but we are not talking about big bears here.

300 SAV
<br> Your 22 Hi Power is definitely up to the task. I don't have a lot of experience with it, but did take one nice buck with it. (8 pt. 120 lbs.)
<br> Bullet went through near shoulder, both ribs and lodged under the hide on off side, deer literally dropped in his tracks, (just like the old savage ads say.)
<br> This was Norma factory loads, recovered bullet weighted 52 gr., expanded nicely at about 40 yds..
<br> Just pick your shots carefully, it will do the job.
<br> Good luck,
<br> Nug 99

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BMT,
<br>
<br>I believe that Savage Models 99 in .358 all have either 22" or 24" barrels. I let you know about any Models 99 in .358 that I come across.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Bearrr264:
<br>
<br>Thanx again. And (yes I know its heresy) if you see a Win Model 88 in that caliber, let me know!
<br>
<br>Thanx
<br>
<br>BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I leave for vermont tommorrow and my 1899h in .25-35 will be the savage to go with me. I have not taken any game with it yet and i think a nice whitetail would be a good place to start. Good luck to all the hunters out there .
<br> snowchaser

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ROTR,
<br>
<br>I picked up the .284 Model 99F late last evening.
<br>
<br>The wood will grade between 90 & 95%.
<br>The metal will grade around 85%.
<br>The bore had a lot of copper foulling, but no pitting.
<br>The scope is an old Weaver KV without a centered PCH reticle in Weave tip-off mounts.
<br>It appears to have been owned by a fellow named "Dudley Carpenter" at some point in time. As that name has been inscribed onto the butt plate with an engraving tool.
<br>
<br>I don't think that the wood had ever been removed, so I took it apart, gave it a good cleaning, and put it back together. The trigger is nice and crisp and a Leupold 2-7x in Redfield base and rings may soon to be mounted.
<br>
<br>That's for the lead!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
300savage,
<br>
<br>well now, let me look here. the west virginia deer gun season is this coming monday, nov. 25. it is to be cold and not to get above 40. may have snow in some areas,already some in the higher mtns. one has to love it.
<br>
<br>i have a few choices in shooting iron,savage 99's only. i'm going to get out my ol' 300 sav. i do have a 250-3000 i have a special fondness for. she shoots like she is in love with you. so i think i will be taking Denise with me this year. oh, forgot to tell you, my rifles have names,the 250 her name is;Denise.
<br>
<br>the names of the other rifles i have well. that is another story.
<br>
<br>
<br>99savage308
<br>,

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BMT,
<br>
<br>re: 99C
<br>
<br>hey, i have one of those in a .308 she is a beauty for sure my freind. it has blood on it too, deer; no pig blood, sorry.
<br>
<br>this 99c is still a Savage and it still has that fine craftmanship built in it.
<br>i do think in all fairness Savage had to redesign to stay in the business of making model 99's. so to a lot of folks the 99c is not so cool. well, i think that is unjust. how many of us still drive, as everyday use, a model A ?
<br>
<br>why those 99C's will still bring home the meat. be it deer or in your case, pig.
<br>
<br>enjoy that Savage 99,
<br>
<br>
<br>99savage308
<br>'

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good!
<br>
<br>I didn't notice the buttplate..
<br>
<br>I am glad you are pleased with it[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (5sdad, 673, 300_savage, 1minute, 35WhelenNut, 6mmCreedmoor, 14 invisible), 1,606 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,207
Posts18,503,863
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.