Print Thread
Hop To
#10561490 10/13/15
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Anybody know of a good Golden retriever breeder selling hunting lines? My girl Sage is ten now and still hunting good, want to start the training process now. I bought training birds and read a pile of books before I got her ten years ago at 8 weeks old and me being no pro she's made me proud a million times over on Pennsylvania ruffs and Maine ruffs, along with piles of pheasants and doves.

I maybe interested in a started dog. Dont know. I don't know much or what to expect with them. Looks like I got some research to do again. I now reside in North Dakota, but wouldn't rule out driving to Montana, Minnesota or Wyoming for a good hunting line. Honestly leaning toward a pup and a clean slate/page so I can write what I want on her mind. My wife and I are planning to move next year to Mt. And Id prefer finding one with good grouse genes.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
41, We just picked up our puppy from Ponderay Goldens now out of Douglas, Wy.. They used to be in Northern Idaho.. This is my third golden from them, and they all have been excellent.. My first, Peach, just passed in Sept.. We decided to get another so Kate would have company.. It has would out fine.. I have the info. if you are interested.. All have been excellent hunters, and wonderful personalities.. Our youngest is showing great potential even though only weeks old.. This kennel is a great one..
If you would like more info.. Please just PM me.. This lady is one fine gal and her goldens are wonderful.. We have had goldens since the early 1980's.. Her's have been the best..

Molon Labe
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
How about Treiven kennels in wyoming as well. I know they were/are very well know for their goldens. I did hear that maybe the main fella (cant remember name) may have gotten ill? So not exactly sure of state of kennel. Definitely worth a check

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks fellas, I'd like to know more about both kennels.

Wyoming, pm coming to you in seconds. My father in law turned me onto Goldens and upland game almost two decades ago. My grandfather and father werent upland hunters accept for maybe the occasional one or twice a year pheasant hunt. My father in law trained his own Goldens and passed some books to me that he read.

Both of us being oil guys work alot of hours, but found that I can still have a good hunting dog with as little as ten to fifteen minutes a day of training consistently.

I've had decent bird dogs training according to Richard Wolters methods. You fellas got any other good read suggestions. It's been ten years since I did any bird dog training.

Obedience and personal protection training with rotts, well that's another story.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
There are a lot of golden kennels in MN. Another one that popped in my mind is PrairieFire goldens. In MN but can't remember where. Have heard good things of them. Think they actually have pups right now??
I train quite a bit and help a pro. Wolters is outdated but has some good intro stuff. Check out books or videos by the names of Evan Grahmm or bill hillman is really good.
Go to website Gundogbreeders.com. Click on goldens on right side. Think has over 200 breeders listed. Can probably find one closish to you.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by verg
There are a lot of golden kennels in MN. Another one that popped in my mind is PrairieFire goldens. In MN but can't remember where. Have heard good things of them. Think they actually have pups right now??
I train quite a bit and help a pro. Wolters is outdated but has some good intro stuff. Check out books or videos by the names of Evan Grahmm or bill hillman is really good.
Go to website Gundogbreeders.com. Click on goldens on right side. Think has over 200 breeders listed. Can probably find one closish to you.

Yeah I kind of do a modified version of Wolters. I do later in the game introduce them to the e collar.thanks for all the great info.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
41, We just picked up our puppy from Ponderay Goldens now out of Douglas, Wy.. They used to be in Northern Idaho.. This is my third golden from them, and they all have been excellent.. My first, Peach, just passed in Sept.. We decided to get another so Kate would have company.. It has would out fine.. I have the info. if you are interested.. All have been excellent hunters, and wonderful personalities.. Our youngest is showing great potential even though only weeks old.. This kennel is a great one..
If you would like more info.. Please just PM me.. This lady is one fine gal and her goldens are wonderful.. We have had goldens since the early 1980's.. Her's have been the best..

Congrats on the new pup WCH. Having an older dog around to show em the ropes makes life allot easier.

BTW......I grew up in Douglas. EH76 sent me a recent aireal photo of Douglas. It sure doesn't look like anything I remember back in the 50's. Ha

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Top Brass.
http://topbrass-retrievers.com/story.htm

Second the Wolters comments never was a good book, and now woefully, utterly, useless. Hillman and Graham are much better. I use Mike Lardy's Vol I as a basic reference.

RTF forum has dog/puppy classifieds.

Good Goldens breedings are hard to find and fetch a premium price. Maybe look into a Lab.

Last edited by LostHighway; 10/14/15.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Field, thanks.. She is coming along pretty well.. In a few days I am going to introduce her to gunfire.. With Kate's excitement at the sight of me picking up a firearm, I am sure will transfer to Maggie quickly.. Have a great fall..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Congrats and I'm hoping the new pup will pick up alot of good stuff from my Sage as well.

So you all know, I took wyocoyotehunters kennel suggestion and will be getting one out of Diamonds litter.

After talking to the boss lady there I picked them. We've been corresponding via email. I like what I read and see.

Big thanks to ya'll for the input.

Happy hunting

Tight chains.

A=A

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
[img:center]http://http://s99.photobucket.com/user/BrownTrout_photos/media/brokenrifle033.jpg.html?sort=3&o=66[/img]
photobucket [img:center]http://http://rs99.pbsrc.com/albums/l292/BrownTrout_photos/brokenrifle033.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip[/img]

Last edited by MolonLabe41; 10/15/15.

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M

Tight chains.

A=A

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
photobucket

Wtf, I can't get photofukit to work

Last edited by MolonLabe41; 10/15/15.

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
We will be breeding a litter as soon as mother nature cooperates. Check out our FB page and PM for details if interested. (Can.-US exchange rate a huge bonus right now)

https://www.facebook.com/Foxton-Gundogs-428314930544195/photos/

BORN to HUNT
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Do you have a website link other than Facebook?
I quit Facebook awhile ago

Tight chains.

A=A

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Top Brass.
http://topbrass-retrievers.com/story.htm

Second the Wolters comments never was a good book, and now woefully, utterly, useless. Hillman and Graham are much better. I use Mike Lardy's Vol I as a basic reference.

RTF forum has dog/puppy classifieds.

Good Goldens breedings are hard to find and fetch a premium price. Maybe look into a Lab.

There a some great FC breedings here north of the 49 and as said earlier the exchange rate make prices quite attractive and on par or even better than Lab prices. But where ever you go be sure to look for the field lines, Goldens are one of the breeds that are feeling the field vs show split quite heavily.

|Some of our dogs
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FoxtonGundogs; 10/18/15.

BORN to HUNT

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,262
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.