Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good Fake christians at work...

Fixed it for you.

No, just "christians", as stated.

No group can have it both ways.

Christians aren't asking for it both ways. Many who "claim" to be Christian are not.

You just proved my point and undercut your own.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Calvin
You sure about that? Read 1st Timothy and get back to us.

As for 1st Timothy, first off, it's a forgery, not written by Paul, and the reference to having only one wife only applies to Bishops, it says nothing about the common man.

3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Is there anything that the Scriptures point to that allows for polygamy?

Solomon had 700 wives.

Scriptures refer to the New Testament. Please try again.

So the Old Testament is not Scripture?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I didn't realize you are a Theologian.

Have you ever heard of the Old Testament referred to as The Scriptures?

Can you also provide your source for the accusation of the Book of Timothy being forgery?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Can you also provide your source for the accusation of the Book of Timothy being forgery?

Wow,

You know nothing of about modern textual criticism. The Authorship of the Pastorals is the most disputed of any New Testament works:

Scholarly opinion nowadays is almost unanimous against Pauline authorship: The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, publ. Geoffrey Chapman, 1989, chapter 60, at p.920, col. 2, "That Paul is neither directly nor indirectly the author is now the view of scholars almost without exception. For details, see Kümmel, I[ntroduction to the] N[ew] T[estament, Nashville, 1975] 392-94, 401-3".

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
4ager,

Why don't you just post a picture of yourself and end all of this foolishness on the campfire.

antelope_sniper,

It's obviously the standard. Sexual purity is a theme throughout the New Testament. I suggest you read it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Wow,

You know nothing of about modern textual criticism. The Authorship of the Pastorals is the most disputed of any New Testament works:

Scholarly opinion nowadays is almost unanimous against Pauline authorship: The New Jerome Biblical Commentary, publ. Geoffrey Chapman, 1989, chapter 60, at p.920, col. 2, "That Paul is neither directly nor indirectly the author is now the view of scholars almost without exception. For details, see Kümmel, I[ntroduction to the] N[ew] T[estament, Nashville, 1975] 392-94, 401-3".

Geoffery Chapman said it. It's got to be true. Keep googling..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Is the old testament is no longer part of the bible?

I would have thought you'd have trouble doing away with the ten commandments in the effort to ignore the genocide and slavery.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
4ager,

Why don't you just post a picture of yourself and end all of this foolishness on the campfire.

antelope_sniper,

It's obviously the standard. Sexual purity is a theme throughout the New Testament. I suggest you read it.

Oh so pure: crazy

Matthew 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
l believe you are quoting Paul, not Jesus or a prophet. That would be repeating what a very fallible human stated as his opinion.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I like how so many of these "Christians" are so much better at quoting the Old Testament instead of the New. They like talking about all the fire and brimstone eye for an eye violence but kind of gloss over the turn the other cheek stuff. I guess that they forgot that the root of Christian is Christ

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I like how so many of these "Christians" are so much better at quoting the Old Testament instead of the New. They like talking about all the fire and brimstone eye for an eye violence but kind of gloss over the turn the other cheek stuff. I guess that they forgot that the root of Christian is Christ

The root of Christianity goes back to this chick if not further:

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by ingwe
Good Fake christians at work...

Fixed it for you.

No, just "christians", as stated.

No group can have it both ways.

Christians aren't asking for it both ways. Many who "claim" to be Christian are not.

Was they democrats or republicans?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It is sad that we fall so terribly short of the One True Christian, Christ Himself.

Clearly what goes on in Church falls far short of "love thy neighbor as thyself". It's certainly true in my life.

Falling short of an ideal does not in my mind necessitate an abandonment of the ideal, however. I hope that all can say, Christian or non, that progress toward better loving of ones neighbor is a goal worth striving for on a daily basis.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CarlsenHighway

I would have thought you'd have trouble doing away with the ten commandments in the effort to ignore the genocide and slavery.

Didn't say it isn't a part of the Bible. But it isn't The Scriptures.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by UPhiker

We are certainly very imperfect, no question at all. Many of us are trying very hard to help improve the lives of others though. We fail in this effort also, but great effort is being made by many. As society degenerates, I see more and more churches working tirelessly to compensate for the misery of the situation.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Pete E
Is there anything that the Scriptures point to that allows for polygamy?

Certainly the Jews of the OT practiced polygamy to a degree and it is allowed under the Torah Law..

Again, I think what we are seeing is just something that was accepted in the culture of the ME in those times and it was adopted and continued under Islam..

Not sure about the NT teaching on the matter..I assume it supports monogamy, but don't know enough to be 100% sure...

Of course, that sort of side steps the other issue thrown up by your question: Which Scriptures are you talking about? Various different Christian denominations/sects have different versions of the Bible and the small print is not the same!

Your statement still begs an answer.

You stated, "A case in point would be the various Christian groups that still endorse polygamy.."

Who exactly are these various Christian groups?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
4ager,

antelope_sniper,

Oh so pure: crazy

Matthew 25:1
Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.

Please quote the rest of the passage. You know this is metephor.

We are back to the question of honesty. Once again, you prove that you are not.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

How many parts are there to the bible and what is each part for?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

So it holds no authority?

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 163bc, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,917
Posts18,498,401
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.