Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Anybody here have any experience with these?

Long story short, I know a guy looking to buy a place. The particular plot in question is part of a larger original plot of land that was kinda odd shaped. When the current owner had it surveyed and subdivided it left a sizable chunk of ground to one side of the plot with the house with no year round access point. The only viable year-round access is the driveway that would go right past the house, and down the length of the plot that might be bought.The seller wants to put an easement to guarantee access to the cut off chunk. The prospective buyer is understanding the issue and suggested a "regular" easement on the back of the plot with the house (to which there is a road, but it's not passable in a bad winter or a very wet spring) and an Easement in Gross for the seller who would then have access themselves to the cut off plot utilizing the driveway, but no one else.

The prospective buyer has been told not to trust an Easement in Gross because it could be modified via a lawsuit if the parties had a falling out. The cut off plot in question is going to be leased by the prospective buyer, so it would (should) really be a non-issue. But in the event the relationship twixt the sell and buyer deteriorates down the road, and/or the land gets sold or inherited and the lease is not renewed, that easement going past the house becomes a very big deal.

Make sense?

MAGA
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Consult an attorney. Don't trust future relationships or generations.

YMMV

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, and the laws on such can vary quite a lot from state to state.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, the current owner is going to retain title to the landlocked portion, but is going to lease it to the buyer of the homeplace tract.

Yeah, this will be great the first time a pissing match arises.

The owner of the landlocked part will nearly have carte blanche in court to devise an access route to his parcel. He will cite ease of construction, all weather access, etc, and any improvements the homeplace owner has made will be junior in nature to the access and subject to demolition, with or without compensation. (suck factor 9)

A route needs to be determined in advance, and the easement documents drawn up ahead of time.

Period.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Well, good luck to your friend. My personal inclination is to not get involved with anything that exposes my property to the free use of a man I don't like, respect or trust.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
So, the current owner is going to retain title to the landlocked portion, but is going to lease it to the buyer of the homeplace tract.

The owner of the landlocked part will nearly have carte blanche in court to devise an access route to his parcel. He will cite ease of construction, all weather access, etc, and any improvements the homeplace owner has made will be junior in nature to the access and subject to demolition, with or without compensation. (suck factor 9)

A route needs to be determined in advance, and the easement documents drawn up ahead of time.

Period.

That's all the advice you need, right there....

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When it comes to real estate, I wouldn't make any agreement that wasn't permanently attached to the land, regardless of who owns which parcel. Otherwise it could come back to bite someone years down the road. Do it right now and avoid the problems later.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by RWE

Period.

That's all the advice you need, right there....

Yep.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd tell my friend to find another place.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would skip the hassle and uncertainty and look elsewhere. I have a friend whose family owns acreage and a house in the mountains. A neighbor just bought a 150 acre adjoining property for dirt cheap due to poor access. Now he wants an easement straight through their land so he can live there year round. I told them to figure out the increase in value to his property with the new access, and charge him at least the difference.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by readonly
I would skip the hassle and uncertainty and look elsewhere. I have a friend whose family owns acreage and a house in the mountains. A neighbor just bought a 150 acre adjoining property for dirt cheap due to poor access. Now he wants an easement straight through their land so he can live there year round. I told them to figure out the increase in value to his property with the new access, and charge him at least the difference.

In most states now, it's illegal to sell lank locked parcels.

For the existing parcels that are landlocked, most states also have a legal remedy consisting of the most reasonable route to access the property being assigned as a permanent ingress/egress easement, and the owners of the surrounding property the easement crosses have no recourse but to allow the access.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like around here. But, the landlocked person has to sue for it and pay for it.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Skip alla that bullshitt and just get a regular easement or find a different place to buy.

If someone isn't willing to give a normal access easement, there's a reason and it's usually fishy.

Camp is where you make it.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Montana Supreme Court recently had a discussion about easements in gross. Case is from 2015 and is called Bos Terra v. Beers. It is out of Hobson area and deals with a ditch but from memory it gave a bunch of discussion on the issue. Might be educational on the issue. It came up when I googled for it. Also the Supreme Court website will have it.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RWE

Period.

Nothing has been signed yet, trying to get it all hashed out before any ink touches paper. Other aspect to the land in question, it is grazing only. No structures, well, nada. And, there is no water on it, and no rights attached to it either. So it would have very little value except to the person that owns the plot with the house.

What I'm wondering mainly is if there is an easement already in place, and then an easement in gross as well for the seller (who will remain a neighbor) for the drive past the house if the easement in gross can be converted to a regular easement. I can absolutely see if there were no other easement or access to the parcel, that the owner would be wielding a big stick as far as getting access. I just figured if you can show this is already a guaranteed access via the easement at the back of the property then that would diminish their standing.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
The Montana Supreme Court recently had a discussion about easements in gross. Case is from 2015 and is called Bos Terra v. Beers. It is out of Hobson area and deals with a ditch but from memory it gave a bunch of discussion on the issue. Might be educational on the issue. It came up when I googled for it. Also the Supreme Court website will have it.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. That decision looks to me like it favors the party wanting to restrict the easement.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by RWE

Period.

Nothing has been signed yet, trying to get it all hashed out before any ink touches paper. Other aspect to the land in question, it is grazing only. No structures, well, nada. And, there is no water on it, and no rights attached to it either. So it would have very little value except to the person that owns the plot with the house.

What I'm wondering mainly is if there is an easement already in place, and then an easement in gross as well for the seller (who will remain a neighbor) for the drive past the house if the easement in gross can be converted to a regular easement. I can absolutely see if there were no other easement or access to the parcel, that the owner would be wielding a big stick as far as getting access. I just figured if you can show this is already a guaranteed access via the easement at the back of the property then that would diminish their standing.

That kind of gets into the area of having an "Historical Easement"...

If a property is accessed by a route, whether in writing as an easement or not, and in some cases with permission or not, the person doing that access to their property has grounds to file for permanent easement based on historical usage of that particular route.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, there's that too.

Forgot to mention, in the terms of the lease, would be right of first refusal to buy should the owner decide to sell. Ultimately, the goal is to own the plot with the house, and the parcel in question in re the easement access. Then it all becomes moot. But for now, that parcel is not for sale, just lease.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unless this is some kind of hot property at an awesome price, I would consider going into a chill mode and hope to be able to get it all in one shot. Your friend could also consider offering to buy it all and leasing the back parcel to the seller if the seller has some short term need for it.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 10/23/15. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Seller has no need for it, it had been leased to the prior occupant who was renting the house for sale.

Not a great deal money-wise, but a very hard to get piece of property here locally. If passed on, will likely sell to someone else. My friend doesn't have the cheese to buy it all at one shot right now, even if the second parcel was on the block. So a long term lease, with rights to buy down the road is best that can be done.

I agree, in reading my description is sounds like a GD nightmare waiting to happen.

MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 222ND, 55 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,611
Posts18,511,729
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.