Print Thread
Hop To
W
wtroger Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Winchester model 100 need to replace the barrel. Can't figure out how to get a hold of the barrel in my barrel vise. Not much to get a hold of.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd remove it with an acetylene torch, but I'm not a Winchester 100 fan. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know what type vise you have but you will need to have a bushing for the barrel that is taper bored to match the barrel contour.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mornin' Gents,

Here's a SLICK setup that I've had lots of luck with.
Actually it's in no WAY slick, ...more grabby than Al Sharpton at a Harlem fundraising event.

[Linked Image]

With the barrel vertical in a bench vise, I "Dam" around it's lower radius with index card weight cardboard and cheap masking tape. The aluminum blocks are set on top of the platform created and clamped together with several thicknesses of the same cardboard fitted in on the parting line. Naturally the inner vertical edges have been cut to mate to the barrel's profile. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just has to work ( once).The blocks are taped to the lower cardboard dam. With a can below to catch leakage, this lash up is poured full of a cerro-alloy.The stuff I use is a commercial version of "Cerro-Safe" and WAY more affordable. I think it goes to liquidous at around 180*F,....Boiling water cuts it,...so it's real handy for "Shoring" fragile lever gun receivers, too. Dittos holding queerly shaped parts for milling ( but you BETTER keep things nice and cool ).
The stuffs almost crystaline hard, in its solidous.

Anyhow,...once poured...one can bust the thing loose almost immediately, sprinkle on the rosin, and trim off any "Flash" that'll deter a solid grab / fitup.

As noted, in NO WAY slick,....very FAST to set up, and a system that's yet to let me down. I don't own any "barrel bushings",....just a can of that cerro alloy, and those aluminum blocks. Time allows, I will make up something with pins, like a bullet or ball mold,...If really inspired, I guess one could cut out some light sheet metal lower dams.

Oh, on another note entirely, I have a bag full of parts marked Win model 100,...and will likely never need them,(they're newer than 135 years, ya' know wink .) They look like the guts of an action, transfer bars and such.

....I can lay them out and take a pic, if anyone's in need of em'

cheers !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

W
wtroger Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
That looks like a plan. I have some cerro-safe. will give it a try.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, let us know how it plays out, Bud.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (300_savage, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7mm_Loco, 35, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,470
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.