Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Remington SPS 7 mag, topped with a Leupold 3.5x10 with B&C reticle loaded with 160 partitions at 3006 fps will go on my annual Wyoming cow hunt. The rifle has allowed me to take elk at 326, 400 and 443 yards. Either another 7 mag, or my Ruger American .308 will go as a backup.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Using the Whelen again this year in Northern Colo for cow, going to run 180 gr Barnes "X" original this go instead of the 250 gr Hot-Cor. My wife will be using the 6.5x55 with 120 gr Barnes "XFC" for her first bull elk. For back-up (I never hunt without a back-up, I've learned that lesson) a 7mm-08 with 140 gr Partitions should be the ticket.

Shooter's Edge
FFL in Western CO
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My 7 mag will get the go ahead again this year.
Remington 700 running the 195 EOL topped with a Leupold scope.
I'm very excited to see how these new bullets will perform on an elk.
They sure are shooting very well so far.

For deer, I'll pack the same rifle probably, and for antelope I haven't
decided yet between my Remington 700 243 with 105 VLD's and a new
700 I built in 280 AI running the 168 VLD's. I know time is ticking on
that goat tag, but next week starts a little vaca time!!

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I carried my Kimber84m in a 260. I shot a Spike the first morning, about 125 yards, 1 shot through the ribs as he was quartering away. I am shooting 120 gr. Ttsx's at 2800 fps. I recovered the bullet. It only weighed 101 gr. I was a little disappointed. They usually retain all their weight. It clipped the bottom of the spine though.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Awfully excited! Heading out in a few hours to get setup for Wednesday's opener. A five day any bull season. Been 12 or 13 years since I've seriously hunted elk. Doing a solo nonresident hunt so I can go to a place in (secret spot) Oregon I'm familiar with and confident has elk. Not as prepared for longer shots as hoped but not a place I'd suspect the need. Primary rifle is my camoed up Ruger All Weather 35 Whelen VX-R combo shooting 250gr Interloks with a couple wood-n-blued steel rifles to back it up. Will carry whatever feels good that day. One I just got, a 1965 Husqvarna HVA 30-06 which sighted in dirt simple with Federal bluebox 150s and just feels good. The other is a special to me Kimber of Oregon Mod 89 BGR 270 which is minute of elk with ubercheap Privi 150s now wearing a Leupy 6x42 LRD. It's purdy and slick as snot but yet to be tamed with handloads. Still might decide to leave one home - but then again - might not. Fingers crossed!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Semi-custom mountain rifle: Remington Model 700 in 30-06.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Last year I got a 5x6 and this year a spike and both were with a 270 win and a 130 gr bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigswede358
I used my old 1963 model Remington 700 30-06 last weekend. It is topped with a Leupy VX-2 2-7. Loaded with Speer 200 gr Hot Cors. Shot her about 100-120yds. Got a rib on both sides and clipped the off side shoulder, turned everything inside to mush. Not much blood shot at all. Cow walked about 10-15 feet after the shot and fell over dead. Pretty uneventful shot.

Congrats buddy!!! Glad to hear you got one. I'll be going out next weekend. Just shot my 338 today and she's still dialed in...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by PennDog
Now that's cool kaywoodie smile Have any pics with the elk - just love seeing those rifles in that setting grin

PennDog

Thanks fellas!

Sorry. I don't have the rifle in this pic. Had been toting my old 95 in 35 WCF. But decided to carry this one Sunday evening. I can see its sights better.

[Linked Image]

Kaywoodie
Good going!
I plan on lugging around with my 1890 circa Winchester 1886, built same year my grandad was born. She's chambered in 40-82 and likes Goex pushing a 260 grain cast bullet. Really hoping to fill my cow tag with her.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to get an elk about every year when bowhunting, but since I started rifle hunting I get skunked. So I carry the lightest rifle I can. grin

We're blessed with rifle season immediately following the rut. The bulls are kegged up recuperating in an area about 7 square feet in a vast sea of hundreds of thousands of acres of dense brush and trees. That's my standard excuse and disclaimer and I'm sticking to it.

This year I averaged 1 fresh elk track every six miles of rough ground, and zero sightings in 6 days. Every imaginable cow scent and sound was utilized in my failure. I used to love hunting elk in Oregon, now, not so much. While in Nevada deer hunting with my pal, we called in 6 point bulls for sport. Here, I couldn't if my life depended on it.

Sorry, ranting...

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/01/15.

LOL
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I used to get an elk about every year when bowhunting, but since I started rifle hunting I get skunked. So I carry the lightest rifle I can. grin

We're blessed with rifle season immediately following the rut. The bulls are kegged up recuperating in an area about 7 square feet in a vast sea of hundreds of thousands of acres of dense brush and trees. That's my standard excuse and disclaimer and I'm sticking to it.

This year I averaged 1 fresh elk track every six miles of rough ground, and zero sightings in 6 days. Every imaginable cow scent and sound was utilized in my failure. I used to love hunting elk in Oregon, now, not so much. While in Nevada deer hunting with my pal, we called in 6 point bulls for sport. Here, I couldn't if my life depended on it.

Sorry, ranting...

I feel the pain brother... I'll just leave it at that.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Elk is in the bag with a Sako in 300 Weatherby, but I still have 2 deer tags and 2 unbloodied guns I need to get out. One deer gets it with the Winchester 1895 in 40-72, the other in a Winchester Pre-64 featherweight in 270...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was out this weekend with the crew and carried a Tikka in 7mm-08.

If I get the chance to test it out some more and get a good feel for how and where it's shooting, I will take a 300 WSM Montana to try and get an elk.

Thinking about taking my daughter somewhere to try and get her an elk for her first year. If I do, she will be shooting a Montana chambered in .243 win.

Montana MOFO
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Shrap! Be sure and post the results of the 95 hunt!!! I should be headed to Deep South Texas in a couple of weeks and I'll be toting the 35 WCF. Depending on how many first time hunters we have in camp depends on me hunting. Much rather see them get a critter and do the helping with their animal. But if one of them blue Bulls shows his devilish face around me, I'll try like hell to send a 250 grain round nose Hornady thru his corpus!!!!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 11/02/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shrap! Be sure and post the results of the 95 hunt!!! I should be headed to Deep South Texas in a couple of weeks and I'll be toting the 35 WCF. Depending on how many first time hunters we have in camp depends on me hunting. Much rather see them get a critter and do the helping with their animal. But if one of them blue Bulls shows his devilish face around me, I'll try like hell to send a 250 grain round nose Hornady thru his corpus!!!!

This is loaded with 380 grain cast bullets that will easily pass through an elk. I plan on testing it on a doe mule deer...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This is loaded with 380 grain cast bullets that will easily pass through an elk. I plan on testing it on a doe mule deer...

[Linked Image]

Excellent!!!!! wink

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Took my Ruger .383WM/225g AB and .280 Rem /140g AB rifles.

Ended up using my buddy's LH Ruger 7mm RM/160g Grand Slam to take a 6x5 at 400 yards..

It was fitting as he took his first in the late 1990's with my RH Ruger 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam.

During the hunt he announced his diabetes related problems make this his last hunt. The hunt became much more about doing what he could do than doing what we needed to do. Still, we had a great time, hunted a lot of places we used to hunt and got mine on the morning of our last day. Details to follow in a separate thread.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Elk is over for the year and my "new rusty" 700 ADL 30-06 will sit out the Missouri deer rifle season for good behavior in Colorado

3 deer tags to fill and my 9.3x62 Mauser will plow the way

[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.