Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am impressed by all the rifles that "put them all into one hole", are "one hole shooters", and "produce one ragged hole at 200".

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I watched one of our Military Snipers shoot an M16 Comp rifle with a pellet sized 223 round out to 1000 yards with iron sights one 3 round grouping was 6" and another 3 round grouping was 9" it took him around 20 minutes a grouping to shoot. the targets were pretty much tore threw not punched threw.

There were 4 of us shooting 3 50 BMG's with scopes and we were lucky to just hit the targets.

This sniper told me that they still deployed him but his job was competition team. he was in his 40s or 50s and could still see.
He was one of the most humble people I have met in my life.

By the end of the day I had my AR50 sighted in but still could not do what that guy did with iron sights.

I told him that I was glad he was on our side and thanked him for his life of service protecting our Country.
the service men that were watching us invited us back the the base all we needed to do was schedule it.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
I am impressed by all the rifles that "put them all into one hole", are "one hole shooters", and "produce one ragged hole at 200".
Only if they do their part.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I just bought one of those this weekend. A brand new 7 Rem Mag M700 BDL. Lawyer trigger,speed bumps and all. First try with 150gr Ballistic Tips went 4 shots in .380". I should have loaded up 5 of them I guess. Or,just put it in the safe and never fire it again. It could be one of those "One Holers"! shocked I clearly "Did my part". It WAS one ragged hole. If I never fire it again it will live on as legendary, out of the box accurate, bone stock M700. grin

Last edited by Otter6; 10/25/15.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Otter6
I just bought one of those this weekend. A brand new 7 Rem Mag M700 BDL. Lawyer trigger,speed bumps and all. First try with 150gr Ballistic Tips went 4 shots in .380". I should have loaded up 5 of them I guess. Or,just put it in the safe and never fire it again. It could be one of those "One Holers"! I clearly "Did my part". It WAS one ragged hole. If I never fire it again it will live on as legendary, out of the box accurate, bone stock M700.

No chance a 5th shot could have helped. I often blow up an Internet quality group with the 5th shot. Another option would be to write 5 shots 200y on the target and post it on the internet. Sounds like you bought a great rifle that likes 150g BT's.

Last edited by bonefish; 10/25/15.
IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I just bought one of those this weekend. A brand new 7 Rem Mag M700 BDL. Lawyer trigger,speed bumps and all. First try with 150gr Ballistic Tips went 4 shots in .380". I should have loaded up 5 of them I guess. Or,just put it in the safe and never fire it again. It could be one of those "One Holers"! shocked I clearly "Did my part". It WAS one ragged hole. If I never fire it again it will live on as legendary, out of the box accurate, bone stock M700. grin
Try a different primer. It will put you at .280" and get rid of the flyer.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
I just bought one of those this weekend. A brand new 7 Rem Mag M700 BDL. Lawyer trigger,speed bumps and all. First try with 150gr Ballistic Tips went 4 shots in .380". I should have loaded up 5 of them I guess. Or,just put it in the safe and never fire it again. It could be one of those "One Holers"! I clearly "Did my part". It WAS one ragged hole. If I never fire it again it will live on as legendary, out of the box accurate, bone stock M700.

No chance a 5th shot could have helped. I often blow up an Internet quality group with the 5th shot. Another option would be to write 5 shots 200y on the target and post it on the internet. Sounds like you bought a great rifle that likes 150g BT's.

Surprised the heck out of me. I never expected that from a new construction M700. The funky little scan code thingy on the left side of the action is pretty lame.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by logdog
Try a different primer. It will put you at .280" and get rid of the flyer.

I'll do that. I can call it "1/4" all day long" then. cool .

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The longer I shoot distance (which for me is only 500 yards), the quieter I become.

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think some of these accuracy claims starts with guys working behind counters at gun shops.

Friend of mine told me his buddy just texted him and send him a picture of a new rifle he bought. The salesman told him all of these rifles shoots sub 1" groups at 220 yards. He showed me the picture and it was one of those scoped Savage Axis deals.

Makes me wonder why I recently trued an action and fitted a match barrel, when in reality I should just have bought one of those Axis rifles grin

Pieter

Last edited by m77; 10/25/15.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I witnessed something pretty cool a few years ago at my range. Guy was shooting a custom AR just down from me. He had just installed a new Shilen barrel on it and was working up loads for the rifle. He showed me his best groups, which were impressive. Some were in the .5-.75" range at 100y. A guy walked by and admired his AR. The AR owner asked the guy if he would like to shoot it. Guy said okay and pulled out a pulse meter from his pocket. Apparently this device let him know when to pull the trigger between heartbeats. This guy took the rifle and put 3 rounds in literally one slightly ragged hole. Had to have been a CTC group in the .15" range. The AR owner was dumfounded. Perhaps some guns are very capable and most of us cannot get the best out of them. I would have been thrilled to group an AR under an inch. Many of the internet claims people make about their fancy shooting are probably BS, but as I witnessed there are some folks out there that can shoot well beyond the average guy. The people who post here are probably almost all good shooters. The average guy that buys the Savage Axis combo is going to be disappointed that he cannot shoot 1" groups at 100y and will likely blame the gun. I compensate for my lack of great shooting skill buy buying the best shooting rifle I can afford.

Last edited by bonefish; 10/26/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Bonefish,

Your posts reminds me of a fellow I used to work with, an avid hunter I had no idea he was a trained marksman. We were talking one day about shooting and I was explaining how humbling it was to get groups like I used to shoot at 100 yards at longer ranges. He kind of looked at me for a long moment and then started explaining the importance of breathing, heartbeat, how your finger contacts the trigger, how you pull the trigger, etc. I just stood there taking it in.

Anyway, I applied what he told me and it really helped. He was also very helpful in helping work out [bleep] issues as they came up in the future. This fellow is one of the finest shots I know - although you would never know it because he was so very quiet about it.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Savage Axis? I have a heavy barrel Axis in 22-250 that will put ten 52 gr Hpbt in a half inch at 100. All was done was a ink pen trigger spring swap.

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am sure there are axis rifles out there that can shoot .5" at 100m but claiming all of them do is simply stupid. I did not know Savage made heavy barreled Axis rifles as we do not get them around here.

Pieter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
The longer I shoot distance (which for me is only 500 yards), the quieter I become.

Yep. I used to think there was nothing to shooting 500 yards...consistently. Then I actually started shooting to 500 and beyond. Humbling experience for someone who considered himself an above average shooter. blush

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by m77
I am sure there are axis rifles out there that can shoot .5" at 100m but claiming all of them do is simply stupid. I did not know Savage made heavy barreled Axis rifles as we do not get them around here.

Pieter

The only ones I have seen are 22-250 and .308. I think they make a .223 as well.
You right though, I haven't seen all Axis's shoot that good. But..... I would bet if they lightened the trigger they would be at least MOA shooters.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a youth axis for the grandkids.With Fiocchi 55 grain ammo it is consistanly around an inch at 200.Sometimes a little over and sometimes a little under.Got a whole 300 dollars in it. LOL ED K

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am deadly inside 25 yards. Can't see much beyond that.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

1Nut #10633798 10/29/15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by Westcoaster

Yep. I used to think there was nothing to shooting 500 yards...consistently. Then I actually started shooting to 500 and beyond. Humbling experience for someone who considered himself an above average shooter. blush

Yep .... tried my hand at 800 the other day. According to my calculator that's as far (830 something) is as far as my AR shooting 77's will strech ... all shots stayed on the paper. After I adjusted to the wind I was able to keep 5 rounds in the 12" bull (which I know impresses no one but ME!). I went to the 308 AR when the winds picked up ... I couldn't keep up with it ... these long range guys are friggin' good!!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
m77 #10634438 10/29/15
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
800 yards with a 223 impresses me also.That would be like bowling and using a softball as your ball. LOL Good shooting. ED K

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (44automag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 25 invisible), 1,487 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,209
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.