Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
This crap keeps up and I'll start thinking about 4th season.

huh

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

new record temps set today here.....

been ready for a cooler/wet change....

this weekend for us...finally

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Been above average temps and VERY dry since the fall began close to record highs on the front range for the last month. The ski companies are hurting.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Too much rain and too hot was the down fall of the muzzle loader season.

I was deer hunting this past weekend and it was 89 degrees in eastern Colorado

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just spoke with an outfitter in North West Colorado and she said that she had the best Archery/ML season ever. Said it was hot but once the Elk started moving they got into them strong. All of her hunters had shots and most harvested Bulls. First season was also very hot and hunting was good but not as good as Archery/ML season. Elk are still high. Expects the temp's to remain above normal through the second season. Highs in the 60's and lows in the 30's. Long range forecast says cooler and more average temps starting October 25th. Hopeful for snow in 3rd season.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep, we hunt close to her and they were packing out some very nice bulls from up high. All her camps had shooting

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/15/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Been above average temps and VERY dry since the fall began close to record highs on the front range for the last month. The ski companies are hurting.

When did fall start? It's still summer here!!!!! mad

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Yep, we hunt close to her and they were packing out some very nice bulls from up high. All her camps had shooting
Which outfitter is this? PM if needed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It rained every day in SW Co 2nd season.
One day it rained all day long so we drove high to get into some snow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Alamosa; 10/28/15.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
We had about the same weather north of Gunnison

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to give my rifle a post-hunt cleaning and the action was rusted shut. That old rifle has seen many a rainy season and was vulnerable. This year was the wettest season ever. Spent a long time scrubbing with Sweets and Hoppes and Rem Oil. I worry about the bore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I went to give my rifle a post-hunt cleaning and the action was rusted shut. That old rifle has seen many a rainy season and was vulnerable. This year was the wettest season ever. Spent a long time scrubbing with Sweets and Hoppes and Rem Oil. I worry about the bore.

Yikes!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Weird year for weather for sure.

I was actually glad it stayed decently warm and no snow where I went. Kept the elk in the area.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Alamosa,

I'll bet getting down tr668 was a hoot at the drop off a mile down. I'll be hunting there 4th season for a cow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Alamosa,

I'll bet getting down tr668 was a hoot at the drop off a mile down. I'll be hunting there 4th season for a cow.

We weren't crazy enough to go down there. Heck we thought we were stuck at the cow camp on the 600 road off Windy Point. The cowboy there gave us a few pointers about getting up the hill and he knew what he was talking about.

I had this dually RV camper rig up there. Sort of a big box and the top would lurch from side to side in the deep mud holes barely missing the ponderosas.

[Linked Image]

A little lower it looked like this. It's crazy when you can hear elk in the mist but can't see them.

I wish I was going back 4th season. Good luck!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yeah, Garvey has probably been up the road a time or two. What tag did you have? I had a bull tag for 2nd season last year and did fairly well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Yeah, Garvey has probably been up the road a time or two. What tag did you have? I had a bull tag for 2nd season last year and did fairly well.

Cows.
We had hunted that area only one time previously. In ’06 we spent points to get bull tags there and had a great hunt but conditions then were much different.

Back in ’06 we had serious issues with keeping meat cool in the hot weather and with scavengers including bears. This year I went back to one of the kill sites after a few days and it was untouched. No jays or crows, no martens, no bears – nothing. I’d never seen a kill site ignored like that in Colorado. Usually I can find a carcass just by all the commotion around it. After 72 hours this one was still red and looked like it was freshly cut. We had brought large coolers of ice that turned out to be unnecessary.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Saturday the 31st. was opening day of our modern firearm season. (all 9 days, thank you Washington dept. of game.) It rained hard all day( 2.5" in 24 hrs) and where I was at the wind blew steady 25 mph with gust to 35. Sunday started out with the sun shining until 8 am then started raining hard again. Monday was rain, hail, snow, and then all three together. today the fog was so thick that I had to drive 5 mph to stay on the road and when I got to where I was going you could not see but about 20 yrds around you. after a nice 5 mile walk in and finding no relief from the fog it started snowing and took my last 20 yrds of visibility away from me. So it was a forced march for the next 2 hrs to get back to the pickup. Been a poopy year so far, but better than going to work.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 46 invisible), 3,254 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,639
Posts18,533,591
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.