Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My lightweight hunting pants are about worn out. Cabelas does not offer much these days for a guy my size. 44Wx34L. Any suggestions about where I can find a pair of hot weather pants? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Next time I go over to Namibia I will be wearing the Wrangler ripstop cotton cargo pants. Can be had for less than $20 a pair at Walmart and they are really nice hunting pants.

http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/style/70l3.html#categoryId=17673

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by RatFink
Next time I go over to Namibia I will be wearing the Wrangler ripstop cotton cargo pants.

Your PH, gun caddy, tracker, skinner, and gutter will be LTFAO at you lack of attention to proper attire . . .

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Check out some of the big outfitters for fishing pants...the kind that dry quickly.
The Caveat is that they don't handle thorns well....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Next time I go over to Namibia I will be wearing the Wrangler ripstop cotton cargo pants.

Your PH, gun caddy, tracker, skinner, and gutter will be LTFAO at you lack of attention to proper attire . . .

No that happened last time when I wore cheap pants that couldn't stand up to the rocks and other elements.

Attached Images
D9 Pants rip.jpg (86.54 KB, 139 downloads)
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Costco jeans for $16?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Costco jeans for $16?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

yuppie grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ed: Im sorry but you must have missed the threads that told us Jeans could:

A) Scare the game away, cause they're blue or

B) Cause you to get hypothermia and die in the event of cold weather....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

( I missed the memo too....) whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Carhartt dungarees in green or brown. They will handle the thorns.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 10/30/15.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
IU've worn both Carhartts and jeans a lot, and they work great for most safari hunting, especially the typical African-winter plains game trip to RSA or Namibia. But anywhere it gets a lot hotter or wetter (as in wading swamps) shorts are not just more comfortable but more practical.

If you dunno what the conditions might be, pants with legs that can be zipped off are pretty handy!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I bought 2 pairs of the Cabela's safari pants with zip-off legs to take on my recent Zimbabwe safari. I wore them one day out of my 10 hunting days, and zipped the legs off by 10 am. Shorts are simply more comfortable than long pants, as Mule Deer suggests.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Columbia makes some real nice pants suitable for safari. I bought several pair from Cabelas and have used them three times in Africa

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doc,

Those Cabela's pants look ideal. Might have to pick up a pair or two, as my zip-off pants have seen better days.

When I went to the Selous in Tanzania in 2011 it got well over 100 some days, especially toward the end of the hunt. My hunting partner would NOT wear shorts, because of his snake phobia, even though he knows the long pants wouldn't make any difference if a mamba bit him. And we did see 4 mambas....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like lightweight long pants when walking in the long grass and thorny areas.

Snakes may make a difference if they just hit the fabric as often happens. Not sure with a mamba though (the snake, not the swahili for crocodile, don't think thay would help then). My local guys also always wore long pants.

I also wear longs in the jungle due to thorns etc. Plus mozzies.

Mule Deer, what time of the year were you in the Selous? I was near there a bit in 2011 and 2012, not too hot though.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by maddog
Carhartt dungarees in green or brown. They will handle the thorns.

maddog

This is what I use as well. Great stuff.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rockdoc,

I was in the Selous for 18 days from late September into October, in the northeastern part where elevations are lowest. The temps were fine at the start, but as we got into October midday turned very warm, and the last few days the "short rains" started. Several downpours occurred, which felt good right then, but when the sun came out afterward it was both hot and humid.

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Next time I go over to Namibia I will be wearing the Wrangler ripstop cotton cargo pants. Can be had for less than $20 a pair at Walmart and they are really nice hunting pants.

http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_STORE_US/en_US/style/70l3.html#categoryId=17673

I wore the same exact thing and they worked well. I'd probably opt for the zip-off leg pants if I were to go when it's hot.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Both the PH's I hunted with were pretty insistent that I wear shorts, as they were/are of the opinion that thorns/brush make less noise on skin as opposed to clothing. Fine by me, even if it's a non issue in that regard. I would have roasted in long pants. I'm pretty well acclimated to a cool environment. When it breaks 65F I sweat!

After the first couple of stalks, the blood and scabs helped to break up/camouflage my legs, which are similar in color to the white side of a halibut.

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wear green BDU's. My favorites are the old schoold Bundeswehr moleskin type. Tough but soft. I used to have some lightweight ripstop BDU pants that were nice in the hot weather. Got those from Brigade Quartermaster.

Some guys like shorts, but I gave that up after getting scratched by the wait-a-bit and acacia thorns, not to mention crawling on hands and kneww through the burnt grass stubble and rocks.

RSA in late June - July can get chilly in the a.m. Heck, one July in Zambia we froze our butts each and every morning for two weeks, A very cold winter for them. High 30's at night and high of about 68ºf midday. The Norwegians in camp complained about the cold. No shorts worn on that trip!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My safari pants are shorts.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 31 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,354
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.