Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I keep hearing people saying that the Rock Chucker is something along the lines of God's gift to single stage reloading...I just don't get it. Not that it isn't a great press, I started reloading using a buddy's Chucker and it worked pretty flawlessly. I just don't see it as the do all end all of single stage presses. I've since used a LEE Classic Cast for 6 years and prefer it to the RC(mainly due to the fact that it stops at top dead center so it has zero toggle over and the primers drop out through the bottom of the ram). Recently I picked up a Lyman Orange Crusher and would it rate it as easily the equal to the RC(although I would not say it is better, too close to call really).

Is there something I'm missing??? I am not knocking ANY of these presses, I could use any one of them happily for everything I need going forward. Just wondering why the RCBS is seemingly so much more highly regarded.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
HR IC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I really like my Lee Classic and its features. But I really like my two RC's also. One of those RC's are 35 year old and still going strong. So is my Jr2 that was a gift in 1972.

The RCBS are better built than the Lee, and it will probably be decades before me or somebody else will have to take advantage of the forever warranty of the RCBS equipment.

If somebody breaks the 2A press their granddad bought new in 1955, RCBS will send them a new press.

I don't see that happening with the Lee...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't think it's overrated but I think some people always want what is perceived as the best and are willing to spend a lot more to say they have it.

I'm perfectly happy with the cheap Lee Challenger press I've been using for 7 years loading 9 different rounds. I seriously doubt it will break. It's a tool and it does what it's supposed to do. Maybe the Rock Chucker does it with more style and pizazz.

Scott
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sold my RC and bought a Lee Classic Cast. I just didn't like the long throw of the RC. For me, the Lee gives me a better feel especially when seating bullets. I also have a Lee Classic Turret press which is a great little press as well.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
I keep hearing people saying that the Rock Chucker is something along the lines of God's gift to single stage reloading...I just don't get it. Not that it isn't a great press, I started reloading using a buddy's Chucker and it worked pretty flawlessly. I just don't see it as the do all end all of single stage presses. I've since used a LEE Classic Cast for 6 years and prefer it to the RC(mainly due to the fact that it stops at top dead center so it has zero toggle over and the primers drop out through the bottom of the ram). Recently I picked up a Lyman Orange Crusher and would it rate it as easily the equal to the RC(although I would not say it is better, too close to call really).

Is there something I'm missing??? I am not knocking ANY of these presses, I could use any one of them happily for everything I need going forward. Just wondering why the RCBS is seemingly so much more highly regarded.

I bought my Rock Chucker in 1974, it's the only press that I have owned, I would say that it is gods gift to single stage loading.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think there's a difference b/t the old RC of yesterday and the RC of today. RC today is manufactured outside of the US which, while still a quality product, is not the same as years ago.

The Lee Classic Cast is made from old railroad steel. How are you going to mess one up short of being an idiot?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like my Lee Classic press,in fact,I really like the Lee dies too.I may be selling most of my RCBS dies in the future.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No complaints about my Rockchucker. I suspect it will still work perfectly long after I no longer need it.

μολὼν λαβέ
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the replies, like I said I have nothing against it. In fact I like cast iron presses and sooner or later I will probably get an old RC to go with my Newer LEE and my vintage(80s I think, not sure) Lyman. Can't have too many cast iron tools. Maybe building that bigger bench is going to have more hidden costs than I thought....more room for tools now LOL.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by devnull
I think there's a difference b/t the old RC of yesterday and the RC of today. RC today is manufactured outside of the US which, while still a quality product, is not the same as years ago.

This is not true, while for a short time the forgings for the rcbs presses were brought in from china. That did not last long. To much time was spent on the machineing to bring them into spec.

All machining has always been performed in the US. Also the castings have been moved back to the US several years ago.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have 2 presses. The first is/was a RCBS Jr that I started with @ 1975. I no longer use it and I gave it to my son. It's still in my house.

I bought the Rock Chucker before 1995, mainly because of the internal height. I load for the 8mm R M and have loaded for the 375 HH. The xtra internal height make it noticeably easier handling the longer cases PLUS it really shows up when inserting bullets for seating.

Those 2 reasons are why I appreciate the R C press.

A friend has the Orange Crusher and IMO they are very comparable.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BLACKTAIL 8541
Originally Posted by devnull

This is not true, while for a short time the forgings for the rcbs presses were brought in from china. That did not last long. To much time was spent on the machineing to bring them into spec.

All machining has always been performed in the US. Also the castings have been moved back to the US several years ago.

I stand corrected if that's the case. It's been some time since I looked into it. To add, I don't think there's a bad cast press on the market. I tend to lean toward my Forester Co-Ax.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started reloading ammo in 1954 using a Pacific "C" press. Switched to the Rockchucker in IIRC 1969 to 70. Picked up another Rockchucker as part of a buy of stuff from an estate. Figured I might need a spare. A couple of years back I bought a Rockchucker Supreme and frankly I'm not all that impressed. I bought it to load those long cartridges, the .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby as the opening in the press is much larger than the regular Rockchucker making it much easier to load them. Makes it easier to load the .375 H&H as well. I just do not care for the longer throw of the arm and the way it handles the spent primers. I have that one mounted on a 2x6 and just clamp it to the bench when I have the need to use it. Other than that it works just fine. If I decide to sell off those loudenboomers, I'll also sell off the Supreme.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The supreme does have its draw backs, the biggest is the primer "catch" system. My personnel opinion on it is that they should have made it a through the ram and into a primer cup.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agree. RCBS need to one up with a better primer catcher. That plastic tray that clips behind the ram seems like an after thought.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Rock Chucker Supreme also, I am of the same opinion on the primer catcher, it only barely does the job and is a pain to remove when full, primers spill everywhere.
With that said, every other aspect of the press, especially the ability to cam over, is perfect for me. I do a lot of case forming, lesser presses do not have the mechanical advantage to do this easily. Other than case forming, my Supreme is the only press I can use to load my big bore cartridges, ie, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, 500 Nitro and 505 Gibbs.
My regular loading is handled by my RCBS Turret Press with several heads set up with dies, just switch heads, and I'm good to go.

Cheers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I won't buy a press I don't get to handle before paying. I hate presses that cam over and have seen that with individual presses of many brands. I've even bought the shelf display press because the new one in the box cammed over but the display individual didn't.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Explain to me why camming over is such a huge deal...loved by some and hated by others.

I started with an old RCBS (no markings to know model) and shifted to a Classic Cast for the spent primer handling. Not terribly impressed with the alignment on my LEE CC now that I have had it for a couple of years and thinking about swapping back to my RCBS for sizing/loading and using the LEE CC for depriming after tumbling.

If I ever get a chance to upgrade from this point it will be a Redding T7 with at least two turret heads.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Kinda like wives/girlfriends, some prefer blondes, some brunettes and others redheads. The difference amoungst quality manufacturer's presses is a matter of personal preference. I started out with a RCBS Junior in 1973, upgraded to a Rockchucker, have had a LEE turret and a Forster currently both my presses are Ponsness Warren. It was not a matter of one press being better than the other, I merely tried many presses until I found what I liked.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Saying a RockChucker is overrated is kinda like saying a Hammer is overrated.

They aren't glitzy or glamorous but they sure do work.

Hunt Africa while you can
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 1,698 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,042
Posts18,521,112
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.