Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Does anybody have a good source to find a takeoff or used Remington 700 SPS Youth stock? I've got a 700 BDL .243win that one of my daughters is using this year to hunt mule deer. We did have a couple of instances of the LOP being too long with her hunting clothing on, and I was thinking it might be better to swap out stocks for the next year or so until she grows into it. Was difficult for her depending on angle to get a full sight picture. Scope was originally set for me, but she had no issues during our trips to shoot and sight in in a tshirt/small coat.

Plus, it will cut a little weight on the rifle as those wood stocks do weigh a tad more.

I'd greatly appreciate any leads. Wish I could get it done before this deer season is over, but looks like it will be a winter project. Daughter number 2 is ok as she is using my wife's Howa .243 in a youth stock.

Last edited by Kelk; 11/02/15.

Shut up and hunt!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd keep any eye out on Ebay or Gunbroker. Put a "Want to Buy" ad on a few hunting/shooting forums. People do buy those youth rigs sometimes for donor actions.

Now with even more aplomb
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks JPro. I just did a search on your suggestion and nothing readily available. I can order one through Amazon or Remington Country,but going poke around and see if I can't find a better deal. Although $135 plus shipping isn't bad.

Shut up and hunt!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They show up on the Classifieds on here once in a while.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think I have one in the rafters, but I am pretty sure it's ADL. If you are interested still, I will take a look.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
They're hard to come by in SA BDL format. Believe me, I've been looking too. I have about five years before I "need" one, but my hopes aren't high at this point.

K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks gents. There seems to be quite a few of the ADL versions out there.

I've never done the BDL to ADL conversion. Read about it here a few times. Is it just a matter of pulling the action off the BDL stock and dropping it into the ADL stock, then re-sight in?

Swag,

I appreciate the offer as both you and another poster here PM'd with an offer on the ADL version. For the time being I just loosened up the ring screws and slid the scope back 3/8" or so. This helped quite a bit and will get us through the season as it ends Sunday night. I'm taking her out tonight after work to get it sighted in again. I'll let you know on the stock and greatly appreciate the offer.

Shut up and hunt!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
ADL to BDL:

Obviously you'll need bottom metal. You'll also need a mag box. In some instances, you'll need a new spring too, but not too common. I did one recently that didn't need anything but a new mag box and bottom metal.

K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Dooger
ADL to BDL:

Obviously you'll need bottom metal. You'll also need a mag box. In some instances, you'll need a new spring too, but not too common. I did one recently that didn't need anything but a new mag box and bottom metal.
Appreciate the info.

Shut up and hunt!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He's going BDL to ADL.

You have to secure the magazine box to the receiver somehow for an ADL. You can either:

1) get a new ADL box that has a little tab with a screw that holds it to the receiver, or

2) epoxy the old BDL directly onto the receiver "permanently"

I've never had a problem using the BDL spring in the ADL, but vice versa doesn't always work.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
BDL and ADL spring are the same from what Ive found. IIRC it was Brownells that showed one spring for both models. Follower is the same also.
I just did a ADL to BDL and the ADL spring works just fine in the BDL bottom metal. All internal you should have to change between the 2 is the mag well.

YOUTH SPS stocks here in stock but they are proud of them.
http://www.amazon.com/Youth-Synthetic-Stock-Assembly-F113525/dp/B00J2HKVFQ

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
He's going BDL to ADL.

Whoops! My bad...

OP, if that bottom metal is black, I'll buy it off you if you don't need it!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Last edited by ts300wsm; 11/07/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tried finding a youth stock for my son a few years ago and never found one. I ended up buying a cheap regular stock on eBay and had my gunsmith cut it down and put a recoil pad on it. Worked great!

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Gentleman, sorry about my late response. Been out trying to turn up a buck or 2 for my girls, and finally sealed the deal on 1 yesterday.

As to the rifle, I'm trying to go from BDL to a SPS youth stock with the hopes I can use my bottom metal and such. Seen the stock on Amazon, and they are proud of them, but it may be the only way to accomplish what I want to do. Or, its to convert to ADL and I've had some great offers to do just that. Now that the season is over, I'll give it a couple days and decide how I want to proceed.

Dooger, If I end up going ADL, I'll let you know on the BM.

Shut up and hunt!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks

Standing by...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any update, Kelk?

I also have a new black (metal) ADL trigger guard I'll be looking to get rid of if you're interested.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 204guy, 06hunter59, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,573
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.