Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
All of this is good advice.... I cut a million brd ft a year and I don't wear them. I just wear nee pads and shin guards. I think chainsaw training would be good thing to do. There is a lot of people that I see that don't know that the bar tip is dangerous when touched with something hard. And improper sharpining is danderous. So if you are inexperienced wear chaps....

Last edited by logdog; 11/02/15.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my chain sawing was done when I was a younger man who had never heard of chainsaw chaps. Though I never had one get away from me, that experience showed me how dangerous these are. Thanks for bringing this up.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You folks that don't have a pair, look at it t his way. A set of $100 ones is only 5 boxes or so of American Whitetail ammo.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hornady-American-Whitetail-Rifle-Ammunition/1571906.uts#productChart

And there's lots cheaper than $100

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=CHainsaw+chaps&t=ffsb&ia=products

If you even think your wife and family (and maybe even a few of us shocked ) might like you alive and whole, maybe you want to consider a pair?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
while i downplayed the concept and the need for more than a day, i was wrong.

chaps are needed, and they're very important. a trip to the emergency room is not a good thing, when it could have been avoided.

just because we didn't know what chaps were, back in the day, didn't mean they wouldn't have been helpful.

like fire, chainsaws can be friend or foe.

and yes, a chainsaw can saw through the front of an aluminum hat, and still cut into one's nose.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by logdog
All of this is good advice.... I cut a million brd ft a year and I don't wear them. I just wear nee pads and shin guards. I think chainsaw training would be good thing to do. There is a lot of people that I see that don't know that the bar tip is dangerous when touched with something hard. And improper sharpining is danderous. So if you are inexperienced wear chaps....

While I don't cut a million board feet a year and have only ever had the one close call I wouldn't call my self inexperienced. I have cut several hundred full cord of firewood, hundreds of saw logs, and as many logs bucked out of trails or fallen while firefighting. I guess I'll wear the inexperienced sawyer chaps.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are times I hire another cutter, therefore I own two pairs of chaps. Mine and a pair for the cutter who forgets his or does not own any.

As a matter of fact I carry an extra helmet in the truck for the same reasons.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
sounds like I have to stop cutting firewood in flip flops and shorts. shocked

Sam, we already know yer plum cazy, you don't have to keep proving it. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is a timely post! I have a hardwood treefarm, and do lots of thinning, lumber cutting, and road clearing all year long. I've bounced a sawblade on my leg 2-3 time, always as the saw was stopping, so I only ripped up some skin. I've been thinking about getting a pair of chaps, and today, after slipping and falling with a running saw, I came home to search for a pair on line. A big Stihl 066 could turn into a pretty formidable weapon if it got out of control.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen "experienced" fallers nice and bloody. Actually, it wasn't real nice. Bloody.
The more creative you have to be, or think you can be, with a chain saw, the more ways that thing can attack you. Seriously.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Always wear your hardhat.
You guys are a trip. Who ever said they cut firewood and such. Is not experienced.
When your on a fuggin hill side drop 1000 feet oaks and doing it successfully. And doing so for 20 years then you're experienced. And who ever says a oak doesn't grow to 1000 feet... Is a fuggin idiot, and shouldn't be talkin to me about fuggin tampon chaps....

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
You guys are a trip. Who ever said they cut firewood and such. Is not experienced.
When your on a fuggin hill side drop 1000 feet oaks and doing it successfully. And doing so for 20 years then you're experienced. And who ever says a oak doesn't grow to 1000 feet... Is a fuggin idiot, and shouldn't be talkin to me about fuggin tampon chaps....

Iffin' I was fuggin you, I'd "hire" a few fuggin illegals to do the dirty work on the banks.

No fuggin tampon chaps or hardhats required.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by add

Iffin' I was fuggin you, I'd "hire" a few fuggin illegals to do the dirty work on the banks.

Hello ADD, who is the cranky little [bleep] with the attitude...friend of yours?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by add

I wish you would just carry around my saw gas.... You would be humbled for sure... We don't cut firewood and bean poles boy....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by add

I wish you would just carry around my saw gas.... You would be humbled for sure... We don't cut firewood and bean poles boy....

Wanker.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BOARD feet, you mean. In how many logs?

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by add

Wanker.
nYou guys want to talk like big tree cutters. " I'm going got get me some far wood, and wear me some chaps so I'sa don't cut cut my vagina....." Well the. Let's talk experience. You guys crack me up.. I wore chaps didn't like them... Threw em in the truck about 18 years ago and are probably still in it out in the field. So as I said.... If your not experienced, wear chaps. I was just replying to the sarcasm of my first post, about cuttin a million feet a year. I was just voicing my opinion about experience and proper saw handling and sharpening. Those two will put you in the hospital faster than any tree falling.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
BOARD feet, you mean. In how many logs?

What the hell are you talking about? If I said 1000 ft oaks. I'm mean 1000 ft oaks.. There might be three logs in a tree might be four might be two....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
These are the best chaps....

http://www.labonville.com/Full-Wrap-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps-Parts-_c_80.html

Worked many years without chaps, always wear them now...

Myself and all my sawyer friends have too many scars.......

logdog, got you beat by 20 years.
I don't have a clue about "1000 feet oaks". If your talking about 1000 board feet in a tree, come to Idaho, we can beat that in 1 log...... and the boys in the PNW make us look silly....

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I see you don't mean board feet.....
you mean 1000 feet of logs????

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by molly
I see you don't mean board feet.....
you mean 1000 feet of logs????
It's a 1000 brd ft.

1000 brd ft in a oak tree is not that big. But it's nice mature timber. Cut poplar trees on a river hill side that had 3000 brd ft in one of them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 219 Wasp, 30 invisible), 2,240 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,889
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.