Biden didn't win the election.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by molly
These are the best chaps....

http://www.labonville.com/Full-Wrap-Chainsaw-Safety-Chaps-Parts-_c_80.html

Worked many years without chaps, always wear them now...

Myself and all my sawyer friends have too many scars.......

logdog, got you beat by 20 years.
I don't have a clue about "1000 feet oaks". If your talking about 1000 board feet in a tree, come to Idaho, we can beat that in 1 log...... and the boys in the PNW make us look silly....
My scars are from broken bones and falling limbs. I did get one saw cut on my elbow and chaps would have never helped. Ohio has some big timber. We got in a few Virgin pieces for the city of Marrietta. Those trees had 2000 and up to 3500 brd ft.

Last edited by logdog; 11/02/15.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by logdog

You guys are a trip.

Fuggin straight tampon chaps, idiots!

1000 foot tall fuggin oaks to boot...
The "1000 ft tall "is the [bleep] I was talking about. You shouldn't be talking to me about chaps.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
My scars are from broken bones and falling limbs. I did get one saw cut on my elbow and chaps would have never helped. Ohio has some big timber. We got in a few Virgin pieces for the city of Marrietta. Those trees had 2000 and up to 3500 brd ft.

I wouldn't have a clue how to fall a big oak, with all those big branches going every which way......I guess I'd just beaver it off and RUN....

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

I wouldn't have a clue how to fall a big oak, with all those big branches going every which way......I guess I'd just beaver it off and RUN....
Cut and run...... Hahaha
They are usually leaning enough one direction to predict. But some will fool you.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I don't have a clue about "1000 feet oaks". If your talking about 1000 board feet in a tree, come to Idaho, we can beat that in 1 log...... and the boys in the PNW make us look silly....

Molly, you like those? I saw them online today and was thinking they might work and were reasonably priced. I'll check a saw shop or two when I get over to the wife's place for the winter.

" and the boys in the PNW make us look silly"

Yeah, even big trees in ID can't compare. I'm guessing those fellas who worked for the timber company I did (I did fish work, not tree work) and felled them little ol' 10- 15' DBH redwoods and doug firs had manginas too.....

cause they wore chaps!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
nYou guys want to talk like big tree cutters. " I'm going got get me some far wood, and wear me some chaps so I'sa don't cut cut my vagina....." Well the. Let's talk experience. You guys crack me up.. I wore chaps didn't like them... Threw em in the truck about 18 years ago and are probably still in it out in the field. So as I said.... If your not experienced, wear chaps. I was just replying to the sarcasm of my first post, about cuttin a million feet a year. I was just voicing my opinion about experience and proper saw handling and sharpening. Those two will put you in the hospital faster than any tree falling.

Actually you horrible wee inbred leprechaun...neither I nor any of the others were talking anything like that...the arrogance you display in your stubborn insistence that your "cutting" for a crust entitles you to "own" the subject matter is breath-taking in the extreme.

I cannot speak for any other here but I can assure you that I do not give a flying [bleep] about what you do for a living, nor do I care one iota whether you continue breathing...or not.

You just don't really matter, but wankers are like that.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Molly, you like those? I saw them online today and was thinking they might work and were reasonably priced. I'll check a saw shop or two when I get over to the wife's place for the winter.

" and the boys in the PNW make us look silly"

Yeah, even big trees in ID can't compare. I'm guessing those fellas who worked for the timber company I did (I did fish work, not tree work) and felled them little ol' 10- 15' DBH redwoods and doug firs had manginas too.....

cause they wore chaps!

Geno

That's the ones I wear, a little warm in the summer.
Don't miss this if you order...
" **IMPORTANT NOTICE*** Sizing - Chainsaw Chap length is not the same as your pants length. It is not measured by your Inseam. Chainsaw Chaps are sized by overall length. To calculate your overall length measure from your waist (where you would wear your belt) to your anklebone."

U of Id. did a test on all brands years ago, these rated the best..

I'm older, if you haven't guessed, and my balance isn't as good as it once was. I'm still working but notice I'm not as "light on my feet" as I was 40 or so years ago.. So the chaps get "used" sometimes.

Last edited by molly; 11/02/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Be careful. I'm "older" now too.

I did notice the sizing notes on some of the webpages. I'll take it into acct. It's one of the reason I want to see if I can find them in a local saw shop, I could try them on. I sometimes hate buying "clothes" online.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I spent many years working with chainsaws and the best protection we had in the woods was a hard hat. This post is very meaningful if you know anything about chainsaws. My two worse experiences were carrying out a forest ranger who had reached up to cut a vine with a saw and it came back down on him and cut into his neck. The other one was a faller had a big Redwood barber chair on his leg and he bled to death. If those type of experiences don't develop respect what a chainsaw can do you shouldn't be using them. Probably the closest I ever came to buying it was climbing and topping trees. If the saw didn't get you the tree would if you were carless. Get the damn chaps!!

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Be careful. I'm "older" now too.

I did notice the sizing notes on some of the webpages. I'll take it into acct. It's one of the reason I want to see if I can find them in a local saw shop, I could try them on. I sometimes hate buying "clothes" online.

Geno

Notice the lengths, 32", 36" etc. hard to go wrong.
I have a 32" waist, yeah I'm bragging a little, and the waist fits fine. They have an extension if your waist is over 46".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

" **IMPORTANT NOTICE*** Sizing - Chainsaw Chap length is not the same as your pants length. It is not measured by your Inseam. Chainsaw Chaps are sized by overall length. To calculate your overall length measure from your waist (where you would wear your belt) to your anklebone."

Thank you for that information, I am up for a set of chaps this year and that is worth knowing.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wear chaps when running a saw. And I have a hard hat with the attached ear muffs and face screen. It just takes a moment to strap on the PPE.

I'm not a logger. Just cutting nuisance trees and cleaning up fence rows. But I don't have time to be hurt either.

One ER visit and you've more than paid for the PPE.

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by JSTUART
nYou guys want to talk like big tree cutters. " I'm going got get me some far wood, and wear me some chaps so I'sa don't cut cut my vagina....." Well the. Let's talk experience. You guys crack me up.. I wore chaps didn't like them... Threw em in the truck about 18 years ago and are probably still in it out in the field. So as I said.... If your not experienced, wear chaps. I was just replying to the sarcasm of my first post, about cuttin a million feet a year. I was just voicing my opinion about experience and proper saw handling and sharpening. Those two will put you in the hospital faster than any tree falling.

Actually you horrible wee inbred leprechaun...neither I nor any of the others were talking anything like that...the arrogance you display in your stubborn insistence that your "cutting" for a crust entitles you to "own" the subject matter is breath-taking in the extreme.

I cannot speak for any other here but I can assure you that I do not give a flying [bleep] about what you do for a living, nor do I care one iota whether you continue breathing...or not.

You just don't really matter, but wankers are like that.
What the hell are you talking about??? Don't fuggin worry about what I do for a living!!!!!! I know more the subject than you ever will. The feeling is mutual Dipshit. You shouldn't comment on subjects you know nothing about.. Let me worry about the man stuff Shirley. You couldn't carry my saw wrench..
You're a woman that tries be a professional on every subject. Once you figure out how to spell tree, come talk to me about chaps and such...

Last edited by logdog; 11/03/15.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If the $110 won't break the bank I would get the most protection. The more expensive models usually offer more protection. I don't cut firewood but have to deal with wind falls and trees that have died on our property. I have chaps I bought several years ago and I got my money's worth!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pal
Most of my chain sawing was done when I was a younger man who had never heard of chainsaw chaps. Though I never had one get away from me, that experience showed me how dangerous these are. Thanks for bringing this up.

Glad I did bring it up. Learning a lot here.
Saw a pair of Husqvarna chaps for $70 and they looked as good as the Stihl. As I was searching
for chaps also been looking around at the new chainsaws. I can not believe how much plastic
is on the new chainsaws. Even a $500 Husqvarna seems to be mostly plastic.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Why are these the best chaps?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Looking for comments/suggestions on chainsaw safety.

Like in the Army,use'm if ya got 'em..For the casual chainsaw user there a must in my mind.We tried them on the logging jobs and they were just another item to get snagged up on and hot in the summer so few continued to wear them.

Sometimes the boss insisted the new guy on the landing wore them because of the obvious but very few fallers did, because of what I stated above.I don't wear them but I always wear a hard hat falling wood these days then I take it off when done tripping wood.I have seen way to many experienced timber fallers catch one on the noggin they never saw coming but few loosing control of the saw.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not as quick or as graceful as I was. Nor do I heal as fast. So the gear goes on before the quality comes out.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by roundoak

Why are these the best chaps?

U of Id did a test. This pair didn't have any cut thru when stopping a saw. Other brands had some tear thru on the leg side after stopping the chain.. It only takes one tooth to wreck havoc with skin...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

471 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.