Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 175 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 174 175
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Looks like this 2 me. If I wanted my bull moved....cowdogs,horses,birdshot,ropes, stock trailer would be needed. To euthanize bull, 22 mag to 30 30 would be needed. To piss off cops high powered rifle, wife, nephew and or what not. Risk of richochet too great with high velocity weapons. Obviously he should've stayed home.

With a handle of "Angus" I would have thought you would have sided with the bull.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How did the rancher find out his bull was hit?

A couple articles mentioned that a dispatcher calledYantis to inform him he had a bull out in the road that was hit. At least one article stated the dispatcher requested he come and help take care of the situation.

One might have even intimated that the dispatcher asked him to help put the bull down.

Obviously 20/20 here, but I have to question the decision to call the rancher. If people were hurt, cows going crazy etc etc, I'm not sure how adding more people, and armed people, to the equation would make things better.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

A couple articles mentioned that a dispatcher calledYantis to inform him he had a bull out in the road that was hit. At least one article stated the dispatcher requested he come and help take care of the situation.

One might have even intimated that the dispatcher asked him to help put the bull down.

Obviously 20/20 here, but I have to question the decision to call the rancher. If people were hurt, cows going crazy etc etc, I'm not sure how adding more people, and armed people, to the equation would make things better.

Yep. Good point.

But probably a civilian dispatcher being paid 11 bucks an hour reacting to the initial call, with no way of knowing what the situation at the scene was, just trying to be helpful.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by cv540

Yep. Good point.

But probably a civilian dispatcher being paid 11 bucks an hour reacting to the initial call, with no way of knowing what the situation at the scene was, just trying to be helpful.

I'm sure that's it. Small town/county. 'Hey, one of Bob's cows got hit, I'll call him'

If the sheriff's department was called because of the accident, let the sheriff's department tend to it, period.

I've never seen MORE people at an accident site help the situation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep. Good point.

I'm sure that's it. Small town/county. 'Hey, one of Bob's cows got hit, I'll call him'

If the sheriff's department was called because of the accident, let the sheriff's department tend to it, period.

I've never seen MORE people at an accident site help the situation.

Yep.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions; likely another sad example of that old truth.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm pretty sure that no one has a damned clue what happened yet. All we know at this point are the following facts:

1) bull hit by car;
2) deputies called to scene;
3) deputies call rancher to tell him bull hit by car;
4) rancher shows up with rifle;
5) deputies readying to put bull down because of injuries/being aggressive;
6) BOTH rancher and deputies fire weapons (per news clip that logcutter put up);
7) rancher killed;
8) investigation ongoing.

That's it; that's all we know.

There was no "SWAT team" involved. There was no Federal agency involved. There were two county deputies and a rancher.

There is no room for facts in this conversation.

The car ran into a field and ran down the bull.
The bull was carrying concealed and drew on the rancher.
The officers shot through the rancher to kill the bull before the bull could shoot the rancher.
The wife had a heart attack because she was having an affair with the bull.

crazy

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Without taking sides, just have to imagine it... what a clusterf u c k

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another selling point for artificial insemmenination. Prize genetics in a straw can't stand up 2 a subaru.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For those who haven't read the Herriot books, you really need to. His account of his first attempt at collecting semen will leave you in tears from laughter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
For those who haven't read the Herriot books, you really need to. His account of his first attempt at collecting semen will leave you in tears from laughter.

I remember that, it was funny as hell.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This somehow reminds me of the ending of Burn After Reading...

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Were the 2 in the Subaru gay? Did they have a rainbow sticker on it?

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Question: who is liable in this type of accident in Idaho?

The rancher who owned the bull for failure to have it fenced in, or the driver of the auto for failure to avoid it?

Open range. Check it out. http://range.idaho.gov/ranchers/Open%20Range/open-range

The dead rancher was not at fault for the accident and the liability for the bull is with the car driver. This is the West, not like east of the Rockies.

I have had cows in open range. You hurt one because you are to stupid to read signs, watch where you are driving, and drive to fast for the conditions you pay the damages.

Police are not eager to put down wounded animals. It caused a mound of paperwork for most officers. They call the livestock owner if they can. Livestock owners usually know how to asses the injury and take approbate action. In my part of the world ranchers are almost always armed of have firearms readily available for emergencies. This did not happen in NJ or NYC.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Yep. Good point.

In a County of 4K, everyone pretty much knows everybody and their business. Some of the responses from people East of the Rockies are pretty ignorant on how things are done out West.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
...Hmmm, kinda sounds like the "you ain't shooting my prized bull, I don't care about no Subaru driving folks bleeding" scenario fits more and more.

Question: who is liable in this type of accident in Idaho?

The rancher who owned the bull for failure to have it fenced in, or the driver of the auto for failure to avoid it?

That was covered earlier, driver.

ok, thanks. Couldn't really bring myself to go through all 3 pages of this.

Really thought someone would have found a way to blame the initial accident on the cops.

Typical LE groupie. smile Can't even read the whole thing but that doesn't stop you from spreading misinformation.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm pretty sure that no one has a damned clue what happened yet. All we know at this point are the following facts:

1) bull hit by car;
2) deputies called to scene;
3) deputies call rancher to tell him bull hit by car;
4) rancher shows up with rifle;
5) deputies readying to put bull down because of injuries/being aggressive;
6) BOTH rancher and deputies fire weapons (per news clip that logcutter put up);
7) rancher killed;
8) investigation ongoing.

That's it; that's all we know.

There was no "SWAT team" involved. There was no Federal agency involved. There were two county deputies and a rancher.

There is no room for facts in this conversation.

The car ran into a field and ran down the bull.
The bull was carrying concealed and drew on the rancher.
The officers shot through the rancher to kill the bull before the bull could shoot the rancher.
The wife had a heart attack because she was having an affair with the bull.

crazy

"The wife had a heart attack because she was having an affair with the bull."

Got me to spit a bit of coffee! Nice Job.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Now I ain't saying this is how it was....but if one owns something black that you would die for to keep alive.....put it in a corral at dusk.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Another selling point for artificial insemmenination. Prize genetics in a straw can't stand up 2 a subaru.

I have worked on a ranch with five thousand range cows. Most would think nothing of stomping you into a muddy mush. You can AI them all, I will let the bulls do it the honest way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I remember that, it was funny as hell.

Yes it was. Made me laugh again just remembering it. laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now I ain't saying this is how it was....but if one owns something black that you would die for to keep alive.....put it in a corral at dusk.

So you are going out at dusk, find twenty some bulls in several sections, then herd them in one corral. Clueless to reality.

Page 12 of 175 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.