Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
The homepage reads "Dogs injured after brutal attack by porcupine"

Really?

Seriously!

http://www.foxnews.com/

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/04/dogs-injured-after-being-spiked-by-porcupine/?intcmp=hpbt4

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Whole story was written by a dumbass.

The dogs were "hit" by quills?

I'll bet the city slicker that did the report has no idea how dogs get that number of quills. No idea at all the dogs were attacking the porky and paid the price... whistle

Three Canadian dogs are recovering after being spiked by a porcupine, as their owner receives support from the public to help cover the vet bill.

Mahalo, Nestah, and Soljah were playing on a farm in Craven, Saskatchewan, when they had the nasty encounter.

Mahalo, a pit bull, had to be taken to a vet after a porcupine's quills pierced her heart and lungs.

Nestah, Mahalo's brother, was also hurt in the attack.

He was hit by dozens of quills to the face, but avoided any serious internal injuries.

Meanwhile, Soljah had minor wounds to its mouth from quills.

The dogs' injuries left owner Dennis Mazur, a social worker, with a vet bill of around $8,000.

Unable to afford the rising cost to help save Mahalo's life, his friend set up a page on gofundme.com to spread the word and help Dennis raise the money he needed to save his dog.

Mike Gerrand said: "These dogs are the love of my dear friend Dennis' life."

"The veterinarian said if [Mahalo] hadn't been a pit bull with all that muscle she wouldn't have survived," he added.

The online campaign became the number one trending story in Saskatchewan, with generous strangers donating the money needed to help cover Dennis' costs.

Mahalo is now recovering back at home.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope he learned a lesson...

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Had a dog get into one of those and it did take a while to get them out.

Got to remember to cut the end to let the air out before pulling them.

Last edited by plainsman456; 11/04/15. Reason: don't have a cog
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Given Canada, the cost sounds about right.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Got to remember to cut the end to let the air out before pulling them.

I did not know that. They come out easier that way.?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Hope he learned a lesson...

[Linked Image]

Actually, dogs don't.

A dog that gets into a porky somehow feels the need to double down the next time, and the time after. Veterinarians in places with porkys can tell you the same story.

Been down that road. With horses too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had to yank a few from dogs. Learned to clip off the ends and spray with vinegar down the hollow. Dissolves the quill and disinfects the puncture fairly well.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never had luck cutting the end of the quill off. I have learned that if you can het ahold of a quill with something, pull that fuuker out. Cutting the ends only aggravated the animal twice as much. JMO

I've heard that advice from a number of people. I asked them how many quills they've pulled from a scared/pissed dog and they say "well none myself".

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I've never had luck cutting the end of the quill off. I have learned that if you can het ahold of a quill with something, pull that fuuker out. Cutting the ends only aggravated the animal twice as much. JMO

I've heard that advice from a number of people. I asked them how many quills they've pulled from a scared/pissed dog and they say "well none myself".

True.

had to pull them a calm dog of mine. It was bad enough....

Neighboring rancher had his dog get them as bad as the one in the picture... down his throat too.

He threw his lariat rope over a beam in the barn and around the dog's neck because that dog was pure vicious.

He'd pull it up and choke it till it passed out, then let him down, and we pulled quills with pliers til he woke up. Then do it all over again.

Personally, I would have taken the dog to the vet, but he didn't want to spend the $300..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (01Foreman400, 79S, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 9 invisible), 961 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,093
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.