-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 175 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 174 175
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well this posting has again proven the love of gossip and argument. An if you don't have facts, well you are free to make them up because the position you want to argue is the important thing.

A man died, and no matter the circumstances in that crowded moment, not deserving of going so soon. A pity and a waste.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by cv540

He precipitated his own death, and won't get any tears from me.

You don't know sh.it about what happened, haven't read the articles with any meaningful comprehension, admitted you don't know and this is your response? He deserved it and the only thing better would have been if you could have killed him yourself.

You are a real sh.itbag!

Yup, and he hasn't danced around about proving that, with a whole goddam BARRAGE of stupid, unfeeling, unwarranted and ignorant commentary. I gotta say that the fascistic undertones evident leave me in doubt of he and I EVER seeing eye to eye.

Sam just mentioned the almost unbelievable SADNESS radiating outward and about from this tragic event.

Compliments to him for bringing it back up.

Some quiet and focused reflection seems timely.

GTC

-People are injured in a vehicle following a car/cow accident.
-The injured bull is charging other cars and preventing first responders from attending to the injured.
-The bull's owner shows up with his "never back down" attitude, deploys, brandishes, and discharges a rifle, possibly in an attempt to prevent the bull from being put down.

After a period of quiet reflection, you being the deputy, how would you have resolved the situation?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lets all reread what is known,

COUNCIL — A Council man was killed Sunday when deputies attempted to control one of his bulls that was running at large.

Adams County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a motor vehicle crash involving a Subaru station wagon and a bull on U.S. 95, just north of Council Sunday evening, according to a news release from Idaho State Police. Emergency medical personnel arrived on the scene and began to extricate the driver and passenger of the vehicle.

During the extrication, the injured bull got up and began charging at emergency responders

“The bull was very agitated and was aggressive to emergency services, as well as the other cars coming up and down the highway,” Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman said.

Deputies prepared to put the bull down as he presented a further threat to the injured and the responders. At the same time, Jack Yantis, the bull’s owner, arrived with a rifle. There was an altercation, and Yantis and two deputies all fired their weapons, state police said.

It is unclear exactly what happened during the next few moments.

“At this time, it is believed that two deputies and Mr. Yantis all fired their weapons,” the release states.

Yantis died at the scene, and one deputy suffered a minor injury. The bull also was shot and killed.

The two deputies involved in the incident are currently on paid administrative leave in accordance with agency policy.

Both people inside the Subaru were taken to a local hospital by air ambulance. Their conditions and names were not known Monday.

“To the best of my knowledge, this is the first officer-involved shooting that Adams County has ever had,” Zollman said. “This is going to be a big hit to this community. The gentleman involved, Mr. Yantis, was a well-known cattle rancher around here. It’s just a sad deal for everybody involved, for the whole community.”

“The Adams County Sheriff’s Office takes matters involving any use of force very seriously,” Zollman added. “We have requested detectives with the Idaho State Police to conduct the investigation into this incident.”

On another note, anyone know where I can find a 5-40 brass bead front sight for a old shotgun I have?
Brownells and Midway are out of stock, and so is everywhere else I have found.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover
...Link to the latest update on the story.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/article42229305.html

"“They took a family man from the dinner table and slaughtered him,” Paradis said."

Eye witness report from 10 feet away.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I guess when the rancher showed up with his "never back down" attitude as quoted by those who knew him, and he deployed a rifle, the deputies should have yelled to the injured people in the Subaru "just apply direct pressure, you probably won't bleed out" and let him do the whole Bull Whisperer thing for 10 or 15 minutes.

What is your theory as to what happened?

I think the rancher showed up to take care of the bull and fix fence.

And maybe Rambo the cop got confused and shot the old rancher.

I can't imagine in a million years that an old rancher would shoot me over a bull so why in the hell would I shoot him?

But that is just a GUESS.

How in the hell it got to the point of shooting people rather than communicating is beyond me.

My dad is 65(?) and has been self employed for over 40 years. Cows and farm.

He doesn't like to be [bleep] with but still knows better than to [bleep] with the police.

Take your chit and if need be, get even later in court or however else but NEVER get violent with an officer of the law.

One doesn't get old by being a dumbass and I highly doubt that Jack had any intention of causing harm to anyone.

I know my dad sure as hell wouldn't but then again none of us have met Jack or the cops. Somebody got goofy and someone died because of it, that is all we know.

Sad deal.

And I hope the people that hit the bull are going to be okay.

We check (highway)fence all the time, I would feel terrible if someone hit a cow and got seriously hurt or killed.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After a period of quiet reflection, you being the deputy, how would you have resolved the situation?

At this point I'll just resort to your strategy / philosophy

I believe what I believe about this thread.

I'm not a deputy.

You're an azzwhole.

Let's just stick to the facts from here on out, and knock off alla' the speculation, you fuggin' loser.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Lets all reread what is known,

COUNCIL — A Council man was killed Sunday when deputies attempted to control one of his bulls that was running at large.

Adams County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a motor vehicle crash involving a Subaru station wagon and a bull on U.S. 95, just north of Council Sunday evening, according to a news release from Idaho State Police. Emergency medical personnel arrived on the scene and began to extricate the driver and passenger of the vehicle.

During the extrication, the injured bull got up and began charging at emergency responders

“The bull was very agitated and was aggressive to emergency services, as well as the other cars coming up and down the highway,” Adams County Sheriff Ryan Zollman said.

Deputies prepared to put the bull down as he presented a further threat to the injured and the responders. At the same time, Jack Yantis, the bull’s owner, arrived with a rifle. There was an altercation, and Yantis and two deputies all fired their weapons, state police said.

It is unclear exactly what happened during the next few moments.

“At this time, it is believed that two deputies and Mr. Yantis all fired their weapons,” the release states.

Yantis died at the scene, and one deputy suffered a minor injury. The bull also was shot and killed.

The two deputies involved in the incident are currently on paid administrative leave in accordance with agency policy.

Both people inside the Subaru were taken to a local hospital by air ambulance. Their conditions and names were not known Monday.

“To the best of my knowledge, this is the first officer-involved shooting that Adams County has ever had,” Zollman said. “This is going to be a big hit to this community. The gentleman involved, Mr. Yantis, was a well-known cattle rancher around here. It’s just a sad deal for everybody involved, for the whole community.”

“The Adams County Sheriff’s Office takes matters involving any use of force very seriously,” Zollman added. “We have requested detectives with the Idaho State Police to conduct the investigation into this incident.”

On another note, anyone know where I can find a 5-40 brass bead front sight for a old shotgun I have?
Brownells and Midway are out of stock, and so is everywhere else I have found.

I can make you a couple tomorrow,....

lemme know.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson

I can't imagine in a million years that an old rancher would shoot me over a bull so why in the hell would I shoot him?

How in the hell it got to the point of shooting people rather than communicating is beyond me.

One doesn't get old by being a dumbass and I highly doubt that Jack had any intention of causing harm to anyone.

You think I'm ignorant or trolling then you agree with my point of view?

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know what kind of cattle production the rancher was in, but if he was raising registered cattle and planned to sell bulls, AI isn't permitted. Only the progeny from naturally bred cows can be registered.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sent you a PM Greg.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I guess when the rancher showed up with his "never back down" attitude as quoted by those who knew him, and he deployed a rifle, the deputies should have yelled to the injured people in the Subaru "just apply direct pressure, you probably won't bleed out" and let him do the whole Bull Whisperer thing for 10 or 15 minutes.

What is your theory as to what happened?

My dad is 65(?) and has been self employed for over 40 years. Cows and farm.

He doesn't like to be [bleep] with but still knows better than to [bleep] with the police.

Take your chit and if need be, get even later in court or however else but NEVER get violent with an officer of the law.

I know my dad sure as hell wouldn't but then again none of us have met Jack or the cops. Somebody got goofy and someone died because of it, that is all we know.

Sad deal.

And I hope the people that hit the bull are going to be okay.

We check (highway)fence all the time, I would feel terrible if someone hit a cow and got seriously hurt or killed.

Not knowing first hand guessing , but think Sam has it right, prayers for the family. I have had cattle get out, how about anybody else??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Back atcha'

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

You think I'm ignorant or trolling then you agree with my point of view?

You're not smart enough to realize that Sam is saying "someone" got stupid and is still considering that the rancher is included in that assessment. That part you've never done.

Follow the hint and wait for the facts.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Registered angus can be AI ed. Thoroughbred horses nope. No one I know calves in the treasure valley in early august.(except dairies with shade. ) If one moves cattle with a rifle one will not get much done the rest of the day. It is a sad deal no doubt. Who knows? Prayers sent to all involved. But I think lessons could be learned from mistakes. Common sense should give us conclusions.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

At this point I'll just resort to your strategy / philosophy

I believe what I believe about this thread.

I'm not a deputy.

You're an azzwhole.

Let's just stick to the facts from here on out, and knock off alla' the speculation, you fuggin' loser.

GTC

I cannot argue with a single thing in that post.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Registered angus can be AI ed. Thoroughbred horses nope. No one I know calves in the treasure valley in early august.(except dairies with shade. ) If one moves cattle with a rifle one will not get much done the rest of the day. It is a sad deal no doubt. Who knows? Prayers sent to all involved. But I think lessons could be learned from mistakes. Common sense should give us conclusions.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How did the rancher find out his bull was hit?

A couple articles mentioned that a dispatcher calledYantis to inform him he had a bull out in the road that was hit. At least one article stated the dispatcher requested he come and help take care of the situation.

One might have even intimated that the dispatcher asked him to help put the bull down.

Obviously 20/20 here, but I have to question the decision to call the rancher. If people were hurt, cows going crazy etc etc, I'm not sure how adding more people, and armed people, to the equation would make things better.

It is pretty standard around here to call the owner of the livestock. Nobody is better equipped to handle and contain said livestock than the rancher with his knowledge and equipment. Every rancher I know has a lariat behind the seat of his truck.

City folks and ranch folks have a whole different opinion of what constitutes aggressive behavior on the part of livestock. The rancher is a far better judge of that.

But the deputy has the obligation to protect the public from perceived threats. If, in his mind, the bull was a threat, he has a duty to put it down. The rancher will just have to seek compensation in court, which by state law he will receive from the driver of the vehicle.

I think the rancher arguing that he can contain the animal safely, and refusing to back down is a more likely scenario for this event than the one popularized over the internet.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have had cattle and other stock out. Sad doings. Very sad...For sure and for certain something got cross threaded. Time will tell....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dutch
As far as the open range laws, it ONLY applies in areas without fences. Like on OPEN RANGE If there is a fence, it's not open range, and the cattle owner is responsible for any damage caused by their property.

I've been around a couple of events of horses getting out of fenced areas in designated "open range", and the horse owners got to call their insurance agents to cover the damage to the cars.

Did not happen that way in the case of my horse as previously mentioned.

Nor in the case of a neighbors cow here in Payette Co.

Though, at the time the insurance agent paying out the claim said we had to prove negligence on the part of the driver. Which was not hard to do as he hit a horse in broad daylight and in full view of his car for more than a 1/4 mile.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4ager to the rescue! LOL.

LOL
Page 18 of 175 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.