"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tired of restaurant food and waiting for somebody to bring me something lousy.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
when a wee lad, I was around some of the best cooks in the world. My Grandmother, a few aunts, and other farm women. Cooking was a daily thing, and as I love to eat then (as now), I was always hanging around the kitchen.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was @ nine my Mom went to "granny" her sister's first kid. Gone two weeks. Pop could make coffee and fry bacon and an egg. I durn near starved to death. Swore that would not happen again. In the two years between my cousins births I learned to cook. First off was biscuits.

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my first wife left me, I learned to cook for myself out of necessity.

I'm still no great cook, but can "fill myself up" (GRIN!)

Virgil B.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I find cooking, + a glass of red wine, the bestest therapy for my stress filled work hours !

Get home, kiss the missus, pour 2 glasses of wine, start preparation, while engaging in conversation with my best friend.

Get it done & everyone is happy (usually) !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
when a wee lad, I was around some of the best cooks in the world. My Grandmother, a few aunts, and other farm women. Cooking was a daily thing, and as I love to eat then (as now), I was always hanging around the kitchen.

Same here!! I also learned to grow, prep, can, preserve and clean correctly. And it all started on an old wood stove at my great Grandmother's home.

All helped me greatly during my restaurant ownership years. BUT that was work. For me cooking is now therapy and a way to get the girls!! grin

Especially, at the BBQ competitions. Cookers are king!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
same life experience here David. On the farm, up in SW Virginia, we were self sufficient for the most part. Hogs, cattle, garden, gathering, canning and preserving, Virginia cured hams......
Yep, wood stove in my early days as well. Tubs of honey, a room full of shelves, stacked high with last year's bounty.

Most of my working career was owning or managing restaurants. Never went to cooking school, but really did not need to. I sure trained a boat load of line cooks though.

Older I get, the less I cook. Partly because much of the time it's just me, and cooking for one is a pain. Age, aches and pains also figure in. Still love to make stuff though. Made a Spice/Pumpkin cake yesterday, with cream cheese icing. Just wanted something sweet to chew on while reading. smile

Sam......

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was always finding myself hungry as a single digit aged kid. Mom was/is a great cook but was also a working mother of 3 boys. I think I was 7 when I fried my first egg[unbeknownst to anyone else in the family] and it was on!

FJB & FJT
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was homeschooled until High School and we didn't have much money, so we raised/made pretty much everything we ate. Being home every day gave me a lot of time in the kitchen with mom and grandmas. I started making sausage with my grandparents around 6 years old, skinning deer on my own while dad was at work by 8, and baking bread and buns every week by 9. I guess it was an informal "home-ec" class. At the time I just saw it as chores but it sure came in handy later in life.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Control. I get what I want, the way I want it. Kinda like handloading.

Plus, Dad was the cook, and he's been my hero since I could crawl. Cooking, shooting, hunting... I enjoy most of the same things that he does.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a wee lad I was enlisted to help my sister when she'd cook, that was the start. That and a few cooking shows, Friedman Paul Erhardt (Chef Tell) and Martin Yan set the hook.

That and I've always enjoyed eating. My mom was a very basic simple cook, but we'd eat out a couple times a year at nice restaurants which gave me an education on good food. You gotta eat, so might as well eat well.

Having the means to obtain some decent primary ingredients is also a decent motivator.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They don't cook themselves...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As my friend Ingwe would say;

YOU SUCK !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Same here Sam,my grandma and mom laid the ground work and then I ran with it.....Always figured if I could cook that would be one less thing to find in a woman,she could have other "skills" wink

Actually wanted to go to the American Culinary Institute but my mom said "I'm not sending you to private school to be a cook"

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My father taught me to cook. He thought every man should be able to provide a good meal for others and himself.

μολὼν λαβέ
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Actually wanted to go to the American Culinary Institute but my mom said "I'm not sending you to private school to be a cook"

Me too. I even entered the 25k Apple Pie contest. grin

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've debated culinary school as well as opening a restaurant. I figured if I did it as a profession I'd hate it.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
With a mother, grandmother and good friend for inspiration, it became my favorite hobby.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've debated culinary school as well as opening a restaurant. I figured if I did it as a profession I'd hate it.

And you would be correct. I loved it for many years but as the days grew long I washed more dishes than the dishwasher.

Also, the catering...both corporate and social really started to take it's toll on me. BUT I still loved it. Just grew old.

No regrets either way.

At this point a simple pub would be fun!!

Go Nats!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,832
Posts18,478,032
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.