Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Just picked up a c-note that is begging to be spent on a gift to myself. Rare enough event that I'm doing a LOT of thinking about how best to use it.

In honor of not drawing a SINGLE tag to hunt anything this year, I've decided to shop for a new hunting knife. Which one would you choose for that $100?

I'm open to any suggestion - sheath knife, folder or multitool. I'd like to get a really beautiful custom, but I've never seen one at or below the $100 mark, and I'm not going to spend more.

What do you think?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For utility, it would be hard to beat a Mora that costs $25 or so. Really, they are excellent. There are other Scandanavian knives under a hundred that look nice.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Purely utilitarian and not much to look at, but I am a big fan of the Outdoor Edge Flip N' Zip folder. You can get it with the extra fold out saw knife and a nylon belt sheath. I got the orange handle version. thought is was ugly as hell at first, but the orange has made it easy to find in the grass in the dark after gutting deer. I have been impressed with the sharpness and ability to keep an edge, and it cleans up easy by throwing it in the dishwasher. the saw blade is handy to cut limbs and small trees for shooting lanes. You can get the whole setup for around $60. Just my $0.02.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
I'm not sure that it's the "the best" but you might want to check out the Grohmann #1

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every now and then you purchase something and come to realize that you actually got something that equaled the value you paid, if not more. In my experiences the Case XXChanger is one of tbhose rare items.

I have had both the Rosewood and Bone handles, and pefer the bone as it has more of a grip when dressing a deer and you get blood on it. I have over the years purchased several as gifts for friends or for Christmas Exchanges on a forum I frequent.

Carried on Amazon, Bass Pro, Walmart etc. If you shop you can stay under $100 for the bone handled one. I highly recommend this compact package....everything you need in the field.

http://www.knivesplus.com/casexxxchangerknife.html

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Haven't had a chance to use it on flesh yet, but I think you'd be hard pressed to top the Moki Banff medium for a C note.

[Linked Image]

next to my Kershaw gentleman's folder

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gerber has a bunch of very good knives right around $100.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Buck 102 and the Beretta Loveless are both excellent knives and prices well within your stated amount.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for $100 - Spyderco Moran, made in Japan. Stays razor sharp, though I wouldnt use it for brisketing.

[Linked Image]

as mentioned above the outdoor edge flip and zip is a great knife for $50.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A Buck Pathfinder, #105, for the heavy/rough work and an A.G. Russell Hunter Scalpel for detail/find work.

You'd probably even have enough left from your $100 to buy a Sagen Saw to complete your field dressing kit.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by czech1022
Just picked up a c-note that is begging to be spent on a gift to myself. Rare enough event that I'm doing a LOT of thinking about how best to use it.

In honor of not drawing a SINGLE tag to hunt anything this year, I've decided to shop for a new hunting knife. Which one would you choose for that $100?

I'm open to any suggestion - sheath knife, folder or multitool. I'd like to get a really beautiful custom, but I've never seen one at or below the $100 mark, and I'm not going to spend more.

What do you think?

That Moki 458 posted looks really good. I've the Kershaw as well, and that looks to be a fixed blade version. WELL worth considering, if so.

Oh, and in regards to the bolded part above - get yourself a bottle of something strong. To put it mildly, living in a place where that could happen would SUCK to an epic degree.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Kinda old school, but my last knife purchase was a Puma Prince folder...see pic...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Haven't had a chance to use it on flesh yet, but I think you'd be hard pressed to top the Moki Banff medium for a C note.

[Linked Image]

next to my Kershaw gentleman's folder

[Linked Image]

I own one of these. It's my favorite blade.

Handle is a bit smallish though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi czech,

I have a few "around $100 knives". The last one I have, from Germany, is the Linder Super Edge II. A really good and very well designed knife!! It is a semi skinner type. Blade of 4 1/2" ATS34 steel tempered at 60 Rc. Another one is the Super Edge I. A 4" drop point very simmilar to the Fallkniven F1. Great Knives!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 4ager
[quote=czech1022]

In honor of not drawing a SINGLE tag to hunt anything this year,

Oh, and in regards to the bolded part above - get yourself a bottle of something strong. To put it mildly, living in a place where that could happen would SUCK to an epic degree.

No kidding...the thought that this is even a thing in some places amazes me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No need to spend $100 on a knife. Go into Walmart and get one.

I like a folder, double bladed with one serrated like this.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yuck, Don.

Couldn't you at least wash it before taking a picture... frown

DF

H
H
For me the worst is a folding knife. Only reason is they are very hard to clean in the field.

The best knifes I used all come from Germany as they hold the edge.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What is "best" is going to depend on what you want the knife for. For example, the knife I usually have on me while actually hunting is a Victorinox Hunter lockblade. With it I can gut and quarter, and saw through bones. I can also tighten screws if I need to, or put a new hole in a belt, pull out a splinter, open a can or bottle or pick my teeth. It is also useful for fishing. It is a very handy bit of gear.

[Linked Image]

For a nice sheath knife, mainly for skinning, I would recommend a Helle. I have a couple of them. They came from the factory with "scary sharp" edges", and the laminated blade means they hold that edge really well - skinning and dressing as many as four deer on the trot without needing a touch up. Easy to sharpen too, when they eventually need it. My favourite is the Eggen:

[Linked Image]

For something more utilitarian though, you could do a great deal worse than get a knife roll with a skinner, boner and steel, from one of the lines made for the butchering trade. These aren't at all fancy but they are designed to do the job, over and over again. I have Swibo and Victorinox, and like them, but there are other good brands too.

HTH

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I paid $100.00 for this...but it was 25 years ago. Hendrix custom with Micarta handle. It's been on most every hunting trip I've gone on since I got it.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 11/05/15.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 25classic, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 66 invisible), 4,107 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,588
Posts18,532,327
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.