Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 175 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 174 175
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by norm99
for the other idoit a 9mm will kill a bull SHOT PLACEMENT we regularly do cows and steers with a 22 cal,to the brain , body shots do not work.
norm

A few years back we had a bull escape from a cattle market in a small rural town. The animal went a balistic and could not be caught up safely, so the police were called and they responded with an Armed Response Unit.

One or more LEO's then shot the animal over a dozen times with their 9mm MP5's. This went on for several minutes with the bull charging about the place before it finally fell.

As you say, shot placement is everything..

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sometimes it's good to put a face on those deceased and nearly deceased do to unusual circumstances like this.

Jack's wife is doing much better and supposed to get out of the hospital this weekend after 3-stents..
[Linked Image]

RIP Jack...

[Linked Image]

Jack was a lumberjack for most of his life as well as a rodeo cowboy and rancher. Jack was loved by everyone that knew him. He was good hearted, down to earth and would have done anything for anybody.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pete E
for the other idoit a 9mm will kill a bull SHOT PLACEMENT we regularly do cows and steers with a 22 cal,to the brain , body shots do not work.
norm

A few years back we had a bull escape from a cattle market in a small rural town. The animal went a balistic and could not be caught up safely, so the police were called and they responded with an Armed Response Unit.

One or more LEO's then shot the animal over a dozen times with their 9mm MP5's. This went on for several minutes with the bull charging about the place before it finally fell.

Yep. Typical 9mm police load is a hollowpoint, which will probably not have great penetration on a bull muscle.

Head shots or spine shots would work, but a bit difficult if it is running around, and if you miss, that round has to go somewhere.

So lots of shots to the chest where they won't over-penetrate kind of makes sense.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by logcutter
Sometimes it's good to put a face on those deceased and nearly deceased do to unusual circumstances like this.

Jack's wife is doing much better and supposed to get out of the hospital this weekend after 3-stents..
[Linked Image]

RIP Jack...

[Linked Image]

Jack was a lumberjack for most of his life as well as a rodeo cowboy and rancher. Jack was loved by everyone that knew him. He was good hearted, down to earth and would have done anything for anybody.
RIP. Prayer sent. Salt of the earth family.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
It was mentioned the bull was agitated. Depending on how "agitated" it was that shot placement to the brain might not be so easy, especially at night and if it was a dark bull. A 9mm to the face/nose/jaw/neck is going to make for an unhappy bull.
i killed a 900# Santa Gertrudis steer i hit with my car, shot it in the eye (at night)with a 22 rifle then called the sheriff and told him i wanted the steer.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cv540
Originally Posted by Pete E
norm

Yep. Typical 9mm police load is a hollowpoint, which will probably not have great penetration on a bull muscle.

Head shots or spine shots would work, but a bit difficult if it is running around, and if you miss, that round has to go somewhere.

So lots of shots to the chest where they won't over-penetrate kind of makes sense.

No, it doesn't make any sense at all.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if the bull became agitated and posed a threat to the "first responders" before, or after, the Deputies shot him with handguns, if, in fact, the reports that they did that are true.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
i could see that happening.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I wonder if the bull became agitated and posed a threat to the "first responders" before, or after, the Deputies shot him with handguns, if, in fact, the reports that they did that are true.

Don't forget that it had already been bit by a vehicle, so it was likely to be agitated to start with..If the bull was then wounded again, its mood was not likely to improve.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am sure the bull was pissed before they screwed with him. Subarus are not good things to wack bulls with, a Kenworth does a better job. I can picture the cops rushing to him to put him down, which pissed him off more. Lots of times it is better to leave them be till you have something better than a rock to put them down. Bulls can take a lot of abuse and dea out a lot.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've seen those HEAVY, and razor sharp pointed trocars BEND on bullhide, and have helped a vet use a big rawhide mallet to get one of the things between a bull's ribs.

with 9 mm hollow points ?

.....having a hard time believing I just read that.

real head shaker, that one.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I've seen those HEAVY, and razor sharp pointed trocars BEND on bullhide, and have helped a vet use a big rawhide mallet to get one of the things between a bull's ribs.

GTC

Sometimes you have to improvise with what you are equipped with, at the time. Not ideal, but probably not an option to say, "wait here" while I drive back to the station and get something different and more suited to the job.

(But maybe you and I should just mosey on down to the Pointless Arguments and Insult thread, cuz I think I see where this is going)

-George Washington
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s
I am sure the bull was pissed before they screwed with him. Subarus are not good things to wack bulls with, a Kenworth does a better job. I can picture the cops rushing to him to put him down, which pissed him off more. Lots of times it is better to leave them be till you have something better than a rock to put them down. Bulls can take a lot of abuse and dea out a lot.
a friend of my dad hit a bull going over 70 in a triumph sport car down near Rivera beach (kingsvilleTX) back in the 70s (navy guy) lived to talk about it.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

GTC

Sometimes you have to improvise with what you are equipped with, at the time. Not ideal, but probably not an option to say, "wait here" while I drive back to the station and get something different and more suited to the job.

(But maybe you and I should just step out into the Pointless Arguments and Insult thread, cuz I think I see where this is going)

you know not of what you speak.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by stxhunter

GTC

(But maybe you and I should just step out into the Pointless Arguments and Insult thread, cuz I think I see where this is going)

you not of what you speak.

I've seen many cattle of all sizes (including bulls) butchered in my life. The first step of the process was a shot between the eyes with a 22lr. They all fell over and quivered a little before they were drug over to the hoist.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by stxhunter

GTC

you not of what you speak.

I've seen many cattle of all sizes (including bulls) butchered in my life. The first step of the process was a shot between the eyes with a 22lr. They all fell over and quivered a little before they were drug over to the hoist.

Were any of them running around in a town when you shot them between the eyes?

-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

GTC

(But maybe you and I should just mosey on down to the Pointless Arguments and Insult thread, cuz I think I see where this is going)

Improvise ?

Mister, you don't know a bull from your behind, and I seriously doubt you've ever shot or BUTCHERED one.

not an option to say, "wait here" while I drive back to the station and get something different and more suited to the job.

The fact that the Two deputies only had 9mm handguns in their units or immediately available while working in that particular area's a bit of a head shaker, too. Like they didn't have the first clue at what can be encountered there , by way of livestock and native wildlife.

"pointless",.....ya' know, that's a better handle for you than some esoteric aircraft designator....

....suits ya'.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/06/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

GTC [/quote]

[/quote]you not of what you speak. [/quote]

I've seen many cattle of all sizes (including bulls) butchered in my life. The first step of the process was a shot between the eyes with a 22lr. They all fell over and quivered a little before they were drug over to the hoist. [/quote]

Were any of them running around in a town when you shot them between the eyes? [/quote]

the one i shot was

Last edited by stxhunter; 11/06/15.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

...Mister, you don't know a bull from your behind...

You get it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just read both deputies were wearing body cameras.

If those were off as well, they need an azz beating just on general principle .

Last edited by MadMooner; 11/06/15.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 32 of 175 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 14 invisible), 1,470 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.