-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 175 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 174 175
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is something fundamentally wrong with the philosophies underlying the training of LEO's in this country. There is nothing wrong with going home safe every night to one's family. But when gaining and keeping the upper hand at all costs, "officer safety", and saying anything regardless of veracity, rule the day, then you'll keep ending up with dead bodies that happen to be good folks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Once again, review the average annual income of local residents. There is not a lot of free cash floating around.

I understand. But don't stop looking at possibilities.
Right now the community likely has a brain drain of talented smart kids, to the big cities. There is a pool of possibilities.

Last edited by Wyogal; 11/08/15.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I think the Sherriff's perceived "newcomer" status only surfaces after a situation like this. He was plainly considered to be resident enough to get elected. Having said this, I also have to point out, even in rural counties, what passes for an urban vote still elects officials.
In many places in rural Idaho, as in rural communities throughout the northwest, new residents are outnumbering those with lomgtime roots in the community. In many cases, these residents are in no way invested in the community as they are retired or are employed outside thecommunity. This can explain why there is such a disconnect between law enforcement and longtime residents. In addition, much of the contact rural people have with county officials is of an adversarial nature.
The so-called "rural" background of the deputies can also be a matter of perception. To a reporter from New York, someone who grew up in Moscow, Idaho might be considered to be of a "rural" background. To someone living outside Princeton, Idaho, not so much.
In the end it's all sociological BS but it does play a part. In Idaho, if your grandfather was born in California, that's a stain which will never be washed away (just kidding,sort of)! GD

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'll wait for the ISP report.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I could give 2 flying fu.cks about how long the sheriff has reigned over his subjects. It's his deputies that need shooting and I'm sure I wouldn't be the first in line. All the sheriff is doing is figuring out..

1) how to save his own hide
2)how to word his report so as to give his "brothers" an out.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i can add one perspective, don't know if it is applicable up there as it is here.
LAW jobs are in some agencies pretty good deals these days in arizona, 20 year retirements, cola adjusted benefits, chances to make some pretty good coin off duty. But the major bucks are with agencies like phoenix, tucson and so on.
often you will find newbies in the rural areas, pay grade lower trying to gain experience and resume to transfer to the big time. Was doing that even in my time back in the 70's.
couple of years ago down on the desert but still in yavapai country maybe 50miles or more from prescott, county seat, i was dove hunting, couple of deputies showed up looking for a older guy reported missing while dove hunting. They drove up to where we were cleaning dove. I asked them if they had ever been in that area before. No. I mentioned those dirt roads would go all the way north to kingman in the middle of nothing, they had no clue. In actuality, the guy went off the road of a paved highway, they drove right passed him. He was found by family in a airplane.
Now i would suspect that a big city boy working a rural department doesn't have much in common with the guy with the cows. And would hardly know one end of a bull from another.
Thus the reported use of ar15's and not placing shots where they needed to go does have a certain ring to me.
They put down range steers with .22wmr, but under controlled situations and aimpoints. One of the biggest shocks i had going to work on a rural department even then, was most of the time was spent around populated areas. They only had a few that really specialized in the outlying areas. now those in the outlying areas often had stock of their own and the popo stuff was a way to supplement income.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/08/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jcubed,

What has happened to the Constitutional rights of guilty until proven innocent, the right to a fair trial, due process, etc?

This is spouted all the time and is not the case in reality. If it were true when there was a hung jury, the accused would walk. They don't. The state has another trial.

I heard about a case the other day. A young lady and her fiance went kayaking in some harsh conditions. He drown because he didn't have a life jacket on. She was wearing one. She dialled 911 to get help. And yet she was accused immediately of murder and has been in jail for about two years; without a trial.

Most of the Constitution is dead; overwhelmed by bureaucracy.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, I guess we should just forget about it then...

As to your "reality," I disagree.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Ron, that is absolutely true about padding resumes and building experience.

Even in Payette county where I live with its much higher median income and comparatively HUGE tax base, a GOOD deputy will only be around a couple of years before he moves over to Canyon or Ada Co, Boise, Caldwell, or Nampa city police, or the dream job of many young cops the Idaho State Patrol.

It is a far cry when we had three deputies in Payette Co and we knew them by name because they had been there for many years.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jcubed
There has been no trial and no admission of guilt.

What has happened to the Constitutional rights of guilty until proven innocent, the right to a fair trial, due process, etc?

You are making the other side's point. Guilty until proven innocent, and no due process. That was Yantis' fate.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dutch

You are making the other side's point. Guilty until proven innocent, and no due process. That was Yantis' fate.

*INNOCENT until proven GUILTY. My fingers went faster than my brain. My apologies for that mistake.

I will edit above as well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
When cops suspend the law and the Constitution by executing lawful citizens then they should be afforded no consideration of those "illustrious" privileges. I think the inner city negroes got one thing right....when there is a problem you want to bring attention to-Riot. Until law abiding white Americans gets fed up with the police abuse and starts shooting back killing cops and burning down police stations I don't think anything will change. There certainly won't be any meaningful reforms initiated by the police themselves. Nor by the unions that protect them.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Little facts on what it takes to be a deputy in a rural setting..Here are a couple..The Sheriff/Police chief can hire whom ever they want as long as they qualify,then train them on the job and they have 6 months before they have to go to POST.

The Sheriff/Police chief can hire out of his reserve unit also.These are usually locals with minimal training and they also have to go to POST within 6 months after there designated for that position.My wife started as a Valley county sheriffs reserve officer under John Lions.The last police chief in McCall that was a women was hired out of the reserve unit as well as the sergeant and others.

This is going down just as it started with just one witness speaking out,now there are more with the same basic story.This should have never happened with cops and a chip on there shoulder not bending for anything or anyone...There way or the hiway..Boom Boom.Sick/Sick/Sick

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

What has happened to the Constitutional rights of guilty until proven innocent, the right to a fair trial, due process,

That Constitutional conundrum only applies to the police when judging the value of a "civilians" life. We're always guilty until proven innocent.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One dynamic most here seem to agree on is that local boys turned cop would probably do better in regards to protecting their friends and neighbors than would a deputy from out of the area.

This applies on a large scale to any occupying force in any land. In that vein, do you think UN troops on our soil would would be advantageous to the enforcement of our Constitution and Bill of Rights? Being from a foreign country, they don't even have a clue we have rights!

What about a national police force in place of local or state units?

The answers are obvious. The founders gave much power and oversight to the states and minimized the power of the fed gov. It's the abuses of the fed gov that have taken it back. Those abuses are filtering back to the local level. We have a fight to look forward to.

Last edited by Fireball2; 11/08/15.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Not all should aspire to be police officers. You might be asked to exercise some restraint. Heaven knows how well that goes nowadays!

Not all should aspire to be wives/husbands. You might be asked to exercise some restraint. Heaven knows how well that goes nowadays!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by logcutter
Little facts on what it takes to be a deputy in a rural setting..Here are a couple..The Sheriff/Police chief can hire whom ever they want as long as they qualify,then train them on the job and they have 6 months before they have to go to POST.

The Sheriff/Police chief can hire out of his reserve unit also.These are usually locals with minimal training and they also have to go to POST within 6 months after there designated for that position.My wife started as a Valley county sheriffs reserve officer under John Lions.The last police chief in McCall that was a women was hired out of the reserve unit as well as the sergeant and others.

This is going down just as it started with just one witness speaking out,now there are more with the same basic story.This should have never happened with cops and a chip on there shoulder not bending for anything or anyone...There way or the hiway..Boom Boom.Sick/Sick/Sick

i was a reserve too, and probably because everybody knew me from the first day i was carrying a gun. The first weekend i was backing up a city cop on a man with a gun call. I was NOT allowed to be by myself till i got what you called post certification. The first weekend after i got a robbery in progress call. We had a huge difference in experience. Some of the guys had retired off phoenix p.d. and other agencies then moved up north to semiretire. They were mostly my trainers. Then there were the barney fifes, they usually didn't last long.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Rob Krentz

There was a lot of the same sorta' yukking it up going on when Rob was killed.
Hell,....the Brian Terry slaying was quite the high horse for bloviating windbags to climb up on,...

Weird mindset, that one.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by deflave
Some of the text put up in the early pages of this thread are an absolute disgrace.

Why are you being vague about it?

Travis

Oh, ...look, a prosecuting attorney, ...cross examining me...

Bugger off, Mate.

GTC

No really. Why be vague?

And aren't you the guy that couldn't hold his liquor at a Campfire get together and tried to fight somebody?

I think maybe you drink too much.

Dave the Bugger

Wow, now THAT is a juicy little piece of news...

If you think that an old fart tuning up a younger sprout that's completely chitfaced on the cheapest beer available, SPITTING between said old fart's boots, while lipping him off while enjoying the hospitality of his home is trying to fight, you're well on your way to whatever "Best Campfire's Old Lady's Gossip Award" is up for grabs.
Not my department, I don't keep up with that sorta' jive.

Talk's cheap, and I think maybe you believe half of the chit you post.
And if the incident I discuss above is any indicator, you also believe half of what you here.

Say hi to the girls at bingo tonight for me.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
bloviating windbags
GTC

Pot kettle.

LOL
Page 41 of 175 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 62 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.