Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Ok, the owners manual tells how to adjust weight of pull but will not go below 3.25 lbs. thats ok. the problem is the creep in the trigger pull is from the sear engagement. Weatherby doesn't want the user to mess with sear engagement but...have any of you? My 257 wby vanguard has quite a bit of creep and could benefit from a good tune up. I adjust all my triggers on my mod. 700 rem's to 3-3.5 lbs. Thank you for any experienced suggestions or tips. I can always take it to a smith but there is a screw right there for adjusting the engagement. I just thought that with the right advice I could just do it myself. I am familiar with testing a rifle for safe trigger operation.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dufer,

You're right, it does seem like they are set up to discourage reducing creep. I had one of these in the shop a couple years ago, so my memory isn't that good on this, but as I recall when I tried to adjust the creep out, which was substantial, it seemed like this caused the safety became nonoperational. So, I had to put the creep back in it. The customer was happy enough just to have the weight of pull reduced and didn't want to spend much money having the trigger completely torn apart and reworked.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just worked on one of these in the last month. When you turn in the sear engagement screw to get rid of the creep, chances are that the safety will not work. What I did...turn in the screw until the creep is gone, now the safe will not work. Remove the trigger and remove a very small amount of metal from the trp front of the trigger so it will clear the safe. Careful not to remove too much or the safe will not function at all.

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Very useful information guys!! THanks. I will reduce the wt and see what it feels like. Then if I'm not happy I will go further.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Is the sear engagement screw on the back of the trigger on the Howa? I forget...

NRA Life Member
IC B2

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
sear engagement is rear screw. wt adjustment is front.

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Well, I was able to lighten the trigger pull somewhat. still is PLENTY heavy. I would guess 4 lbs. But... I was able to rid almost all of the creep with sear engagement adjustment. yes when you go too far it blocks the safety from being able to move. I took it right up to that point where the safety still moves freely and functions properly. Slam the bolt back and forth, safety on and off multiple times, pull on trigger on safe a little, cycle some more, bang the but of the gun on the floor mimic ing a fall, everything seems to be safe and in order. I'll try shooting it like this for a while. MUCH BETTER! still not a slick trigger by any stretch but then again it's not a timney.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a timney for the howa and have never been impressed with this particular option. From what I understand they have redesigned the new one to function better.

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You will have to remove material from the front of the trigger so the safety can be operational after you remove the creep. It will not be a run of the mill trigger job and it might be easier just to buy a Timney for it Like I did for my SUBMOA. Mine actually came from the factory with a 2lb pull and I set it to 3 lbs. No creep and nice as they come. BTW in the middle position the bolt can be opened with the gun still being safe. Its a nice product

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've posted on this subject before, but here goes again-

1. Order Timney trigger.
2. Remove action from stock.
3. Remove one screw, take out trigger assembly.
3. Install new Timney.
4. Reassemble rifle.
5. Dispose of Vanguard trigger.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I can't spell... Deal with it...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 34 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,089
Posts18,501,838
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.