Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Tell me about the Weaver Classic scopes. Been away from rifles a few years and never handled one of the "new" Weavers. Are they decent scopes?

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm almost tempted to try a K4 4x38 but wondering how it compares to the 6x which IIRC I didn't like much?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Tell me about the Weaver Classic scopes. Been away from rifles a few years and never handled one of the "new" Weavers. Are they decent scopes?

Yes, they are a decent scope. I prefer the 4x38 over the 6x or variables, especially on a long action. But i have had a few of them in both 4 and 6x and all were good and tracked well too. YMMV
Rob

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I like to think of Classic "K"s like FX_II's for half the price. I have 4 K4's mounted right now, and will be using a K6 on the next project...I always keep a spare K4 in the safe, it just plain works for just about anything I want to do. I also have a Classic V9 that has been taking a pounding for probably 20+ years now, glass is still great and still holds zero. If there is a better scope for under $200 I don't know what it is.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like them. K4, K6 and the R4.

AKA glazer1972 Original Registration 09/07/03. 235 Original Posts. Re-registered due to issues with Private Messaging.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I bought a 6-24 Classic on sale recently, it's decent and solid but the clarity of this optic doesn't compare with the Japanese Weavers.
I should have bought another SWFA or another 36x Weaver target scope...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colodog
I bought a 6-24 Classic on sale recently, it's decent and solid but the clarity of this optic doesn't compare with the Japanese Weavers.

I thought that the V16 and V24 were made by Light Optical Works in Japan.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The K4 Classic is a great scope; this is one of the 80th year commemoratives. It's a few ounces heavier than the alloy one but perfect for this '06.
Bob

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

That's exactly what I had thought too, Made in the Philippines.
They're not bad, just not great...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

That's exactly what I had thought too, Made in the Philippines.
They're not bad, just not great...

Are you sure that you didn't get a 40/44 instead of a Classic? They are similar price point scopes and the 40/44 is much more common in retail stores right now(higher markup I'd guess). I have 2 recently purchased k4's and they both say "Japan".

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
IC B3

TBS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He might be confused with classic extremes, those are philippine. Regular classics are japan. This of course is if they haven't changed anything in the past 6 months.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both a Weaver Classic K4X38 Made in Japan, and a Leupold FX-II 4X33.

I like looking through the Weaver much more than the Leupold. But, I like looking at the Leupold more than the Weaver. shocked

[Linked Image]

Ed
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TBS
He might be confused with classic extremes, those are philippine. Regular classics are japan. This of course is if they haven't changed anything in the past 6 months.

Yep I'm a knucklehead, Classic Extreme is what I have.
Sorry for the confusion

Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one 6x38 classic. Probably won't own another. It doesn't fit on LA rifles well, nor is the eye relief very good.

Go Leupold if you want a 6X.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I have one 6x38 classic. Probably won't own another. It doesn't fit on LA rifles well, nor is the eye relief very good.

Go Leupold if you want a 6X.

My thoughts as well on the 6X, insufficient eye relief for a big game rifle. Not bad for a rimfire which is where mine lives.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How does the 4x Weaver's reticle compare to the Leupold Duplex? Little bolder? Thinner? Does it vary in color like the Leupold? Appreciate any more information. Hate to buy stuff with non-transferable warranty but $139 is pretty tempting...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 308ld
I have both a Weaver Classic K4X38 Made in Japan, and a Leupold FX-II 4X33.

I like looking through the Weaver much more than the Leupold. But, I like looking at the Leupold more than the Weaver. shocked

Could the rifle it is riding on have anything to do with that? Either way I like your choices in scopes!!

[Linked Image]

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
How does the 4x Weaver's reticle compare to the Leupold Duplex? Little bolder? Thinner? Does it vary in color like the Leupold? Appreciate any more information. Hate to buy stuff with non-transferable warranty but $139 is pretty tempting...

My Leupold is a Wide Duplex, the Weaver is a Dual-X (duplex), but not as wide as the Leupold wide duplex. I would say the reticles are about the same size/diamiter. The Weaver is brighter to my eye and has a wider field of view. I know the Leupold reticle will turn a gold color in certain light, I don't recall the Weaver doing that, but, I have had the Leupold longer and used more than the Weaver. Weaver is about 3.5" eye relief, Leupold 4"+.

I bought the Weaver to put on the bargin $270 RAR 223. I'll just say I'm more than pleased with it. Quick and easy sight in, bright, functional.....Just plain works. @ $139 and free shipping..... smile

Last edited by 308ld; 11/10/15.

Ed
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Philgood80, I'll agree the Ruger Ultralight is easier to look at.... smile

Ed
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
try the weaver grand slam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (35, afisher, Aviator, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 9 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.